Two new backup drives: SSD or HDD?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Two new backup drives: SSD or HDD?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I have some windfall cash.
I run a daily backup to a 500GB HP Portable HDD, had it at least 5 years.
I run a weekly cumulative backup to a 1 TB Portable HDD, had it at least 5 years.

I want to buy two replacement drives.

Question 1: Should I buy SSD, or should I stick with HDD? I have no corporate clients depending on me.
Question 2: If you were buying them from BestBuy Canada, which models would you pick?

I want to order these before the windfall blows away, like tumbleweeds.
Thanks, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Re: Two new backup drives: SSD or HDD?

Post by DocAElstein »

Hi Chris
This is a lateral thought, it does not answer your questions, but I don’t think you will mind me adding it here:

A few months ago I wanted to tidy up my chaotic messy system or computer storage and back up that has built up in the last few years. My main back up storage thing was a few older 1TB Portable HDDs

I did it as low priority as a background job and frequently checked out eBay ( I assume that eBay has reached you there in the wilderness?) for both second hand USB HUB things ( 1 USB to 7 USB thing in my Laymen language), and any second hand external storage things.
I got the bargain of my life on a big box full of high quality USB HUB things with untypically very long cables , and over a few months got maybe about 12 HDDS in the range 300GB – 2TB. All for about 250 Euros total, for about 10TB total storage. I guess I might have got a single 10 TB for that money. But I prefer the solution I got: -

Now I got a long USB cable that I can easily connect to any of the main computers I use often. It feeds to a USB HUB that is connected so far to another USB HUB, and most of the free ports, aren’t free anymore and have all back up storage things and most of the daily larger storage things I use, ( I rarely store things on a computer, or rather I do, but religiously, at almost the same time I also store it externally to one of the daily larger storage things I use. )
About half the stuff has a powersupply, both USB HUBs do. I find when they are all connected up as I have them, you can remove a few power supplies now and it has no effect. I keep the lot in a cold corner on a metal grating hanging in the air.
This works great for me. I don’t bother to regularly back up, because it’s become an instinct like if I go to stretch my legs or prepare my dinner in between some period of working on a computer, then often I would copy the appropriate main external daily storage things I was using to a back up storage.

Not a professional way to do it I suppose, but I have no corporate clients depending on me, etc.
I suppose the biggest worry would be if lightning struck the single USB cable, or a bad person got to feed something in that USB to kill or corrupt everything, but I am thinking that the unconventional system, which includes a few HDDs that seem to go asleep when I am not using them, might make trying to kill them all in one go a bit like trying to get a strike in billiards?, and maybe then some as the computer might work like a fuse in some cases and fry first?, so like trying to get a strike through a pile of rubbish on the runway
( I try to get in the habit of removing the single main USB cable when I am long not on a computer )
Alan
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HDDs are mechanical and subject to both mechanical and electronic failure
SDDs are NOT mechanical and subject only to electronic failure, which, IME is a much rarer phenomenon than mechanical failure; ergo, I recommend you get SSDs.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with Best Buy purchases and will no longer even consider them for anything; however, I have had mostly good experiences with Amazon. For that reason, I checked Amazon for external SSDs and found 1TB Crucial external SSDs for $75 US. That's what I suggest you buy.
Crucial SSD.PNG
I would be tempted to get something larger for the 2nd SSD simply because bigger is better when it comes to disk drives, IME. You might save a little by buying one 500GB SSD and spend it for a 2TB or larger second drive.

HTH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 19:07
... found 1TB Crucial external SSDs for $75 US. That's what I suggest you buy.
Crucial SSD.PNG. I would be tempted to get something larger for the 2nd SSD simply ...
HTH
Thanks, Bob, it DOES help, because now I have someone to blame if it all goes wrong :evilgrin: :cheers:

I did a search; never heard of Crucial, but you appear to have no complaints(1). The Crucial.com web site popped up (image below) as well as BestBuy and Amazon. I reason that buying direct from the manufacturer/supplier might lead to faster resolution IF problems arise, so will order TWO of the 4TB models on the grounds that Gord Campbell (another life) put forwards 35 years ago: Buy the biggest hard disk you can afford, then build a computer around it.
Untitled2.png
I am not sure whether 229 is $US or $CAD, but taxes and shipping will probably eclipse that figure for a good 4 minutes!

The reviews are phenomenal: 100% 5-star (from the one customer in the UK!) :grin:
Cheers, Chris
(1) Unless you've really got it in for me :laugh: :rofl:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I have had good experiences with Crucial.com. I have not dealt with them for a few years but they used to be very responsive and had a very strong warranty.

Many people I know still insist on HDDs for backup. They say you still get a larger capacity drive for less money. There is generally no need for top speed for a backup. Usually, the limiting factor is the USB connection, not the drive.
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I agree with Joe that getting a SSD for backup purposes is not essential. A HDD should do fine, and it will be cheaper.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

My external backup drive is a 2TB HDD but I bought that before SSDs were a thing. When I come to replace it I suspect I will stick with a HDD. You can buy 'bottomless storage pits', aka 10TB capacity drives, for not a lot of money these days.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 16:31
I agree with Joe that getting a SSD for backup purposes is not essential. A HDD should do fine, and it would be cheaper.
Duly Noted.
Still and all, I have to spend this money while I still have it.
$519.98 all up.

I think that I like the SSD in this case for the reasons Bob gave - nothing mechanical to break down. Which means of course that the cable will fracture in the first week. :grin:

For me speed-of-operation is not a deal breaker; I start the backup and then wander off to reheat yesterday's leftovers for supper, returning most nights only to put the drive into the fire-resistant box.

The main thing is, I have ordered two new backup drives. The old ones are operating far too well, which suggests to me that from now on they can only break down

FWIW the web site ordering is a bit weird. I was led to believe that I could choose between UPS (2-3 days) and Canada Post (10-15 days), but could not turn off the Xpress Post button.
Grrrr.
Also I am peeved by having to enter the credit card as 16 digits without readability spaces, and email addresses must match in case.

I am looking forward to moving forwards to new larger drives. I think I paid $CAD400 for my first hard drive, 20 MB, back in 1985.
For about the same cost I am getting 8 TB rather then 20 MB. A factor of 400,000,000,000, if I've done the sums right.
Sigh!

Cheers, Chris