32 or 64 Bit? Home Premium or Professional?

BobH
UraniumLounger

32 or 64 Bit? Home Premium or Professional?

Post by BobH »

I'm just beginning considerations of upgrades (see the Hardware section post) that will include moving one machine to Windows7. As I understand it, if I buy Windows 7 Home Premium the CD will contain both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Assuming that I get the hardware upgraded to run the 64 bit version, are there any reasons NOT to do so? Again, reading tells me that there is no upgrade path from 32 bit to 64 bit meaning that a fresh install and that all programs would have to be reinstalled. I can't see any value in doing that twice (assuming hardware supports 64 bit).

In the early days of Win7 there was a lot written about legacy apps not playing well with 64 bit (and even 32 bit in some cases) and about a lot of drivers for older hardware not being available. Are these still issues? I understand that XP is a 32 bit OS. Under Win7, as I understand it, you can run a partition wherein WinXP runs in case you have legacy apps that can't cope with 64 bit architecture. Does this require any special considerations in purchasing Win7?

Finally, looking at the functionality comparisons I found, there doesn't seem to be much reason for me to purchase the Professional version - that Home Premium will do about everything one would contemplate on a home machine. Is this a bad assessment? What would I be able to do if I spent the money on Pro that I can't do with HPE? (I couldn't see any reason even to consider the Ultimate edition.)

Please educate me.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: 32 or 64 Bit? Home Premium or Professional?

Post by HansV »

I got a new PC with 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium in January of 2010, only 3 months after Windows 7 was released, and I haven't experienced any compatibility problems (admittedly, I didn't try to run any programs written for MS-DOS or Windows 3.x). As with previous versions of Windows, you can run most older programs by setting the correct compatibility options in the Properties dialog.
Since I have Home Premium, I don't have the special Windows XP Compatibility Mode that comes with the Professional versions, but I haven't missed it at all. Still, if you need it, you'd have to get Windows 7 Professional.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I agree with Hans. I've had Win 7 HP x64 since it first came out. No issues.

If I remember correctly, you plan to install 8 GB of DDR3 memory. You need the 64 bit OS to access memory over 4 GB. So 64 bit is really a requirement in your case. The Windows software comes with both 32 and 64 bit versions and both contain the bits and pieces needed to do an 'Anytime Upgrade' to Pro or Ultimate if you find it necessary.

Have you looked into triple vs. dual channeled memory? I don't know all the ins and outs of this but I run an i7 processor with 9 GB of triple channel DDR3 memory. I think 8 GB implies dual channel operation. Something to think about.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for all in the information, gentlemen.

I wasn't aware that the XP compatibility mode required the Pro edition. I guess I'm going to have to learn to read more carefully.
Intel Desktop Board DX58OG Motherboard
Whether gaming, crunching data or editing video, today’s power user needs a computing platform that delivers maximum multi-threaded CPU support. The Intel Desktop Board DX58OG Motherboard is designed to provide the power you need. The massive data throughput and support for the Intel Core i7 processor Extreme Edition runs more applications simultaneously, with less wait time. SuperSpeed Universal Serial Bus (USB) 3.0, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, triple channel DDR3 memory and full support for ATI CrossfireX and NVIDIA SLI technology are just a few of the many features supported on this board.
This is the blurb on the mobo I'm looking at. It mentions triple channel DDR3 but I must admit that I still need to read up on this aspect of RAM configuration.

What speed is your DDR3 RAM, Paul? From the specs, this mobo will handle 1066MHz, 1333MHz, and 1600MHz (OC). Any suggestions about which to buy? I am planning to run 8GB of RAM and might add more in future; so I'm pretty much committed to 64 bit architecture. I was just trolling for any gotcha stories, I guess.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Speccy reports my ram as "9.00 GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 533MHz (7-7-7-19)". This is a two year old machine; I think the specs were impressive at the time - blink, and it's obsolete.

About your 8 GB of RAM: in order for triple channel DDR3 to work, I believe the boards must be installed in groups of three, so you may have to consider installing 6, 9 or 12 GB of RAM.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

PaulB wrote:Speccy reports my ram as "9.00 GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 533MHz (7-7-7-19)". This is a two year old machine; I think the specs were impressive at the time - blink, and it's obsolete.

About your 8 GB of RAM: in order for triple channel DDR3 to work, I believe the boards must be installed in groups of three, so you may have to consider installing 6, 9 or 12 GB of RAM.

You are correct, Paul. I've done more reading and the triple channel calls for increments of 3GB. Crucial seems to want to skip from 6GB to 12GB in their chipsets. More reading is in my future, methinks.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Here are the Crucial.com memory specs for that board.
6 slots available, 8GB max per slot.
More here: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts. ... OG&Cat=RAM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8 gig kit is shown as available.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

viking33 wrote:Here are the Crucial.com memory specs for that board.
6 slots available, 8GB max per slot.
More here: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts. ... OG&Cat=RAM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8 gig kit is shown as available.
Decisions, decisions!

According to ZD Net, the maximum amount of RAM is determined by the number or slots, the RAM per card, and the version of Win7 one runs. With 6 slots of 8GB/card I could have a max of 48GB (though why I would have this much is hard to see as I sit here planning).

Again ZD say that Home Premium can only address 16GB and that Professional can address 192GB.

I'll have to do a cost/benefit analysis using my hyper-sensitive micrometer to measure then mark it with a grease pen and whack it with my biggest axe.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

If you have to encrypt your files, to use the built in Win 7 Bitlocker I believe you need Win 7 Pro or Ultimate (I believe Enterprise is a version of Pro). So to use the true XP Mode your would need Pro or higher as well, but there are ways to simulate an XP Mode environment with Home Premium.

In a 64 Bit machine, Home Premium can access more RAM than the heavy home user would need, so this would not be a super big consideration.

I hope this makes sense as I awoke and could not get back to sleep and am very tired, oh well and the day goes on.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:... there is no upgrade path from 32 bit to 64 bit meaning that a fresh install and that all programs would have to be reinstalled. I can't see any value in doing that twice (assuming hardware supports 64 bit).
Hi Bob.

I've not seen "fresh installs" as a bad thing for quite a while now, but that is in part due to
(1) My propensity for installing cute little applications that, over time, may not be completely removed by a 3rd-party destaller and
(2) My feeling that it's probably faster to reinstall than to try to fix imbalance problems caused by (1) above.
... a lot of drivers for older hardware not being available.
My case. I probably had more working 16-bit aps than any other old fart here, but dammit they WORKED and I knew how to use them and they organized my life.
In retrospect if I could have gotten a 32-bit Win7 system (If i'd known to ask ...) life might be better today.
that Home Premium will do about everything one would contemplate on a home machine.
Hans walked me through this back in Dec/January.
As far as I can see, Win7(anything) does nothing for me that I could do without, but it does let me speak with cleints and colleagues on equal terms. That is, from my perspective Win7 is overkill, just another, larger set of fins on the car.

But then I'm still using Word97 on the DELL Inspiron 60GB laptop out on the balcony of an evening ...
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

OMG, Chris, Win 7 is so much more than "more fins on the car". It is much more secure than previous versions. A thread in another forum discusses Win 7 versus Win XP security. IMHO security is the number one reason to move to Win 7.

Yes it has more eye candy, but this can be shut off if you want. It includes apps that in XP you had to use 3rd party apps (ie Backup and Restore) With a good up to date Image, (I have to admit I use Acronis for this) you can restore your PC in less than 10 minutes so reinstallation should never be necessary. I recreate an Image whenever I make a change to my system.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

tedshemyers wrote:OMG, Chris, Win 7 is so much more than "more fins on the car".
Hi Ted. You're right.
Win7 is more than fins.
But for my everyday, plodding-mentality work (writing programs and articles, browsing the web, email) it's hard to see what I couldn't continue doing in WinXP.

FWIW around here there are several "aircraft-carrier" cars from the 50s, usually painted turquoise, HUGE fins, and a trunk the size of my queen-size bed. I ogle them and wish I had one ... then I hop on the bus/subway to go downtown while reading my book.

I suspect that you know quite a few office/home users who could achieve what they achieve with WFWG/Office97; typing, balancing the cheque-book, mail-merge etc.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

Yes, many of us could achieve most of what we do with XP. The question is, how secure would we be doing what we want to, and do we want to? As I stated, security was my number 1 reason for the switch, with remaining features of Win 7 as the "icing on the cake" so to speak. Yes, I admit, I want the latest and greatest! Is this a personality flaw, maybe! But I believe Win 7 IS the latest and greatest. When Win 8 is released, I will look at it and try it, but I am very pleased with Win 7, much more so than ever before. I started at about 3.1 in Windows and have used ALL versions since.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I suspect that you know quite a few office/home users who could achieve what they achieve with WFWG/Office97; typing, balancing the cheque-book, mail-merge etc.
Most of that could be done with WordStar or WordPerfect and Visicalc or Lotus 123 on MS-DOS.

But our world has changed - we're (more or less) permanently connected to the World Wide Web, which offers many wonderful things, but also ever-evolving threats. Newer versions of operating systems and browsers protect us in ways that older versions will never be able to do.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for all the responses, folks!

This has been an interesting thread. Like Chris, I work well behind the power curve. The machine I'm looking to upgrade is a Dell Dimension with an Intel P4 chip clocking at 2GHz but it does have 4GB RAM. It runs WinXP and Office 2000 (yes, 11+ years old).

I'm going to upgrade to Win7 because the wife uses it at work and it will make things easier for her when she logs in from home. Also, I'm just a bit curious to learn what, if anything, the new OS adds to my computer use. I will definitely run the 64 bit version but have not yet decided whether it will be HPE or Pro.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

Bob,

Be sure you check the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and visit the Windows 7 Compatibility Center before taking the plunge.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Ted!

I will do that. In fact I've already used it to check compatibility with the mobo and chipset I'm looking at. When I'm done, there will be virtually nothing of the original Dell left as I've already replaced power supply, cabling, tower case, graphics card, fans and chip cooler etc.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)