My New netbook

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

My New netbook

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I bought it yesterday.
I am struck by the closeness of size to the first microcomputer I bought - a Radio Shack MC-10 back in 1984 or thereabouts.
MyFirstNetbookHPIM3399.JPG
Above is a photo of the MC-10 sitting atop the dark red Acer netbook. (Ignore the metallic "IBM" sticker; I was young and foolish back then ...).
If you are bored, there's a diary at My First Netbook.
I got taken in by the bait-and-switch technique at BestBuy. I was determined to buy the cheapest they had, sufficient for my needs over the next 6 months.
The cheapest price on display was $229.
Ooops! Out of stock and they're not getting any more in.
Next cheapest $269.
Ooops! They only have one left, and it's an opened-box model (returned by a customer and checked over by the technical staff)

The pressure to purchase the inhouse setup and post-house extended warranty was so great (and fear-based) that I decided against the opened-box deal; after all, he's just spent five minutes describing all sorts of terrible things that can go wrong in the first year ...

So I ground my miserly way up to the $279.95 model and they won $50 off me.
But that just made me dig in my heels and spurn the $120-$200 offer to have them tap the Enter key for me during setup.

I installed FoxitReader rather than Adobe.
I installed ImageForWindows and made backups overnight to my 500GB external drive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: My New netbook

Post by John Gray »

It looks just about as useful as a modern netbook, with the added advantage of lack-of-screen...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:It looks just about as useful as a modern netbook, with the added advantage of lack-of-screen...
Well, that cassette tape interface might have hurdled the tape-to-MP3 problem!

I wrote a Spanish/English translator on it (crude, but passed muster by my then-wife), and implemented a bootstrapped version of Forth after buying the two Kevin McAbe books.
I remember this time as a time of upheaval. I started the year, as always, wondering wether by retirement I'd have saved enough money to have my own IBM 1401 in the basement (I haven't!), and ended up the year with a computer of my own.
Here's a shot of the Acer opened up. (Remember, you saw it first behind the MC-10)
MYFIRSTNETBOOKHPIM3404.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I suspect that you have given that netbook the name "Spades"...!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:I suspect that you have given that netbook the name "Spades"...!
Spades :scratch:

If you are referring to the Acer Aspire I had assigned it a temporary name, associated with my being unable to type a back-slash from the keyboard.
This Article (Look for "intl.cpl") has set me straight.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Spades :scratch:
Acer Spades :groan:
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger