Convert HDD-SSD

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Convert HDD-SSD

Post by Ted Myers »

Hello, I found this site that demonstrates how to change an HDD to SSD. Would you recommend attempting it or not?
-
HDD-SSD.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

HansV
Administrator

Re: Convert HDD-SSD

Post by HansV »

ShadowMaker has good reviews, but make sure that you know how to perform the steps:
  • Buy an SSD with sufficient capacity.
  • Install the SSD in your computer.
  • Run ShadowMaker to clone your HDD to the new SSD.
  • Go into your computer's BIOS to set the SSD as startup disk.
  • Disconnect the HDD.
If you feel unsure about any of these steps, don't start the process, or ask a knowledgeable friend to do it.

Something else to consider: if you have the license keys for all your software including Windows, you might backup all your documents, then perform a clean installation on the new SSD instead of cloning the existing one, and then restore your documents to the SSD. It'll take more time, but a fresh start often offers better performance.
Best wishes,
Hans

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

I was under the impression it was to convert my HDD to SSD as my laptop is very slow, so I'll put up with it for a little longer as I'm going to win the lotto tonight.
A Hand.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

An SDD is a completely different animal than a HDD. It is not possible to convert one to the other.
Best wishes,
Hans

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

No matter how long you live, there is always something new to learn. Cheers.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A HDD is a spinning disk, while an SSD is basically a kind of memory chip - no moving parts. So they're physically totally different.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Ted's question makes me wonder if the HDD in a laptop can be replaced with an SSD; and, if so, how would it be done?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 17:40
Ted's question makes me wonder if the HDD in a laptop can be replaced with an SSD; and, if so, how would it be done?
It was many years ago but I did just that to my son's Acer laptop. The physical bit was as simple as undoing a few screws to remove the bit of the back casing that covered the disk, removing the old HDD, plugging in the new SSD (they had the same form factor) then screwing the back plate in place again. The software side took a bit longer but it too was straightforward because the laptop had a DVD drive (that tells you how long ago it was when I did this) so first up was a clean install of Win 7, activation, then the application software.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Ken!

My laptop has a DVD, too! :gramps:

I would prefer to avoid a reinstall of Windows 10. Is there another way this might be done? Would moving the existing HDD to the available slot for a second HDD while placing the SSD in the primary slot make the process any easier? Due to hardware differences, I suspect that a simple copy or even a less simple clone would not work.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The document attached by Ted Myers to the first post claims that Minitool ShadowMaker can clone a HDD to an SDD. Disclaimer: I have never tried this myself.
Best wishes,
Hans

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

I could easily scrap my Lenovo laptop with the HDD as I keep a copy of everything in 2 other locations. There is a clearance section in Argos where I could purchase an almost past it's sell by date for a lot less than a newer model. As I don't like Win 11 set up at present, I will leave thigs as they are at present.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans, and you, too, Ted, for raising the subject.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

clovis
NewLounger

Post by clovis »

I received tremendous help from this forum so I'll try to give some in return, and this is a topic I know well since I've done it various time.

Changing a HDD for an SDD is not very difficult, but I would not recommend cloning the current disk but rather to use this opportunity to start with a clean disk. This way you won't have any of the small program that accumulate over the years, and you will have updated version of all the programs you use.
This is how I usually proceed (for laptop, desktop are even easier as you don't have to worry about size)

- Check on internet for a video on how to swap your disk. Just search your model and change disk and you usually find videos easily. The goal here is to find where are your screws located. Often enough, there are screws below the soft padding (small circles of soft material) below your laptop. This padding is usually glued so you need to remove it with a small knife/screwdriver. Another goal is to verify the type of disk you need (shape (2.5" or M.2) and connector (SATA, NVMe)). If you can't find a online video, you can always remove the bottom part of your laptop plastic cover and visually check yourself. It sounds scary but it's as easy as removing screws and a plastic cover.

- Once you know what you have/need, go and find a replacement SDD and an external box for your current hard drive. Any shop will have those, and I usually get a 1Tb SDD for ~100€ and an empty HDD box for ~20€.

- On your current computer, if you use windows, make sure you have an Office account and that your windows and office are registered online (this will allow you to reinstall them on your new computer). Notice that for windows, your key is linked to your motherboard and is hardccopied there, so normally windows will automatically activate when you reinstall it. Now download the windows installer utility and create an usb with the windows .iso: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... /windows10

- Make a list (on paper) of all the program you want to keep, you will need to redownload and reinstall them later

- Once everything is ready, open your laptop carefully, remove the old hard drive, place it in the external box, and place the new hard drive inside. Close the laptop, and plug the usb you created with the windows image. Boot.

- On boot, windows will install (now is a good moment to create dedicated partition for windows and data). It's pretty straigforward.

- Reinstall all of your programs (you need to manually download them again and re-install them). For Office, if it was activated before, it should remain valid after install with your Microsoft account.

- You now have a faster laptop (easily 10x faster for most of the cases), and a external hard-drive with all of your previous data. If anything goes wrong, you can just reswap the hard-drive with the old one and it will work as before.

Good luck!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge, and thanks for the tips!
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

As Hans said, Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Thank you very much for the excellent how-to. I purchased the SSD some months back but have been leery of attempting its installation. I hadn't considered removing the HDD and installing it in an external box. Because the HDD is fitted for a laptop, are there any considerations for purchasing the external case that I should keep in mind?

Thank you, again!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 19:16
...have been leery of attempting its installation...
I've upgraded the HDD of two laptops to SSDs. In both cases it was simple, undo a few screws to get the back off, then a couple more to free the caddy that held the disk. Old disk out of caddy, new one in, screw caddy in place again, refit back, refit screws.,

However, I didn't try to repeat the trick on a third machine because getting at the HDD in that one required the removal of screws, careful prising to pop off the casing, then the more screws and more careful prising to remove the keyboard only then did the disk become accessible.

In summary, if access to the HDD is straightforward, there's nothing to worry about. If though the HDD is buried deep in the machine, pay someone to do it for you!

Ken