disable Edge at startup?

bureau.jacques
Lounger

disable Edge at startup?

Post by bureau.jacques »

Hello,
I installed the latest version of Windows 64 bit updated 2020-04 (KB4550945).
Since, each time the MS-Windows system is started, Edge it automatically launches and offers me a search with Bing… I opened: settings, applications, startup, I disabled Bing but I can't find Edge in the list of possible programs at startup. Is there a way to disable this launch of Edge at startup?

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Re: disable Edge at startup?

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Take a look from about minutes 6.15 - 11.30 on this video. There may be some info of interest there regarding different ways to control start up things in Windows 10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWHiP9K8fQ0&t=15s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QRxHZw ... =drive_web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I expect as time goes on it may become more and more difficult to stop Edge in Windows 10 , as it is Microsoft’s Policy to get you to have Edge and use it.

Alan
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Here are two utilities that let you view what automatically starts with Windows, and disable items if you wish. Both are free.

WhatInStartup is a relatively simple application.
AutoRuns is very comprehensive, but also more technical.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Go to Task manager and the the startup tab.
If Edge is listed, the all you need to do is remove it from the list.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

bureau.jacques
Lounger

Post by bureau.jacques »

You don't have to watch all of these videos!
Just open the PowerShell and paste the next line

iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://git.io/debloat'))

A window opens and offers different options, I chose "remove all bloatwares"
an incredible number of lines are executed…
here is the list:

PS C:\Users\jacques> iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://git.io/debloat'))
C:\Temp\Windows10Debloater exists. Skipping.
Transcription démarrée, le fichier de sortie est C:\Temp\Windows10Debloater\PowerShell_transcript.PC-DE-JACQUES.pSWZUQIA.20200426082014.txt
Initiating Sysprep
Starting Sysprep Fixes
Adding Registry key to Disable Windows Store Automatic Updates
Stopping InstallService
Setting InstallService Startup to Disabled
Removing bloatware apps.
Removing leftover bloatware registry keys.
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\46928bounde.EclipseManager_2.2.4.51_neutral__a5h4egax66k6y from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\ActiproSoftwareLLC.562882FEEB491_2.6.18.18_neutral__24pqs290vpjk0 from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_17.7909.7600.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\Microsoft.PPIProjection_10.0.15063.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.15063.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.16299.15.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.File\PackageId\ActiproSoftwareLLC.562882FEEB491_2.6.18.18_neutral__24pqs290vpjk0 from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Launch\PackageId\46928bounde.EclipseManager_2.2.4.51_neutral__a5h4egax66k6y from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Launch\PackageId\ActiproSoftwareLLC.562882FEEB491_2.6.18.18_neutral__24pqs290vpjk0 from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Launch\PackageId\Microsoft.PPIProjection_10.0.15063.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Launch\PackageId\Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.15063.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Launch\PackageId\Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.16299.15.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.PreInstalledConfigTask\PackageId\Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_17.7909.7600.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Protocol\PackageId\ActiproSoftwareLLC.562882FEEB491_2.6.18.18_neutral__24pqs290vpjk0 from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Protocol\PackageId\Microsoft.PPIProjection_10.0.15063.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Protocol\PackageId\Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.15063.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Protocol\PackageId\Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.16299.15.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.ShareTarget\PackageId\ActiproSoftwareLLC.562882FEEB491_2.6.18.18_neutral__24pqs290vpjk0 from registry
Checking to see if any Whitelisted Apps were removed, and if so re-adding them.
Stopping telemetry, disabling unneccessary scheduled tasks, and preventing bloatware from returning.
Disabling Windows Feedback Experience program
Stopping Cortana from being used as part of your Windows Search Function
Stopping the Windows Feedback Experience program
Adding Registry key to prevent bloatware apps from returning
Setting Mixed Reality Portal value to 0 so that you can uninstall it in Settings
Disabling live tiles
Turning off Data Collection
Disabling People icon on Taskbar
Disabling suggestions on the Start Menu
Removing CloudStore from registry if it exists
Erreur : Le client ne dispose pas d’un privilège nécessaire.
Erreur : Le client ne dispose pas d’un privilège nécessaire.
Disabling scheduled tasks
Unpinning tiles from the Start Menu.
Unpinning all tiles from the start menu
Setting the 'InstallService' Windows service back to 'Started' and the Startup Type 'Automatic'.
Finished all tasks.

I restarted the computer… and got rid of Edge
At least until the next update from Microsoft!
Thank you

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

bureau.jacques wrote:..Just open the PowerShell and paste...
iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://git.io/debloat'))
I de bloat ( and “shut up” ) my Windows 10 regularly, but I had not tried it by that simple direct way you just mentioned. I tried just now, - it works for me too, Thanks
_._____________
bureau.jacques wrote:...At least until the next update from Microsoft!
Note: it is being reported more often that Microsoft do not respect your setting and will sometimes update and change things at any time without your permission or knowledge, so it is probably best to more regularly “shut up / de bloat”.
The author of that DeBloat stuff has a good reputation for keeping up with the latest tricks Microsoft try, and he updates his stuff almost weekly, and so a frequent de bloat using your method sounds a good idea.
Your method works very fast, so doing it regularly is easy.
I de bloated two weeks ago: In the meantime I should theoretically have had no updates, but my Windows 10 machine was getting slow. I just re de bloated: several new things were found and also some settings had been re adjusted without my knowledge! Other people have reported the same sometimes.
Alan

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

This is definitely not for me. The first thing I noticed when examining the code at GitHub was that it would remove Microsoft Solitaire Collection. How am I supposed to survive lock-down without solitaire? :sad:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The PowerShell script is too drastic for my taste too, but you can remove lines that you don't want to be executed.
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

You can make a customised list, add stuff to a white list...
You can do it all manually if you have too much time on your hands and nothing else to do...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Microsoft will let you uninstall some apps manually (in the Windows interface). But for others, the option to uninstall isn't presented. You really need a script for those.
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

I worded my reply wrongly, I meant you can do a lot of the stuff the script does manually. There is a lot of stuff in the internet that explain what is being done , but it is a lot of work involving a lot of low level stuff - fiddling around with registry - adding stuff, changing stuff. I am not at home now, but I have some links I can add later that explain all the script does and how to do it yourself. I played around with some of it myself - I am not sure if I have expalations for 100% of it, but for a lot of it - The guy added stuff to his script that others did and he adds to it as Microsoft come up with new ways to do what they want to do..

bureau.jacques
Lounger

Post by bureau.jacques »

The guys at Microsoft are stubborn! They absolutely want I use Edge and despite the periodic use of the debloater. I still see Edge appear when Windows 10 starts!

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Microsoft are becoming more and more aggressive at forcing you to do what they want.
It is occurring more often that you receive updates at a time of Microsoft’s choosing , irrespective of any setting you have.
It is often reported that this occurs at a computer restart, that is to say, on starting Windows. So you may need to “debloat” and “Shutup” after every Windows start.
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 17 May 2020, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think you can actually remove Microsoft Edge, but it shouldn't start every time with Windows! Have you used WhatInStartup or AutoRuns to check on what is started automatically?
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

This may not make any difference, but is worth a try.
Before You type the line
First type this line
Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

It might make a small difference in what gets done by the DeBloat script, but I confess I do not really know much about these things – it just seems to be what some people do. That’s all I know about it

bureau.jacques
Lounger

Post by bureau.jacques »

910/5000
Microsoft guys don't like using the command line at all:
this is the message they send:
Modification of the execution strategy
The execution strategy helps protect you against scripts that you believe are unreliable. By modifying the execution strategy, you expose yourself to the security risks described in the help section
about_Execution_Policies at https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=135170.
Do you want to change the policy of execution?
[Y] Yes [ Yes for all [N] No No for all Suspend [?] Help (the default value is “N”): o

At first glance, the execution of " https://git.io/debloat " does not seem really different?
By the way, I went to see the page:
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=135170
it seems to have been deleted, we are returned to the home page of the Microsoft site…
]

bureau.jacques
Lounger

Post by bureau.jacques »

By opening the page from "Eileen's Lounge", I am no longer connected to my Microsoft account, and I can go directly to the English version!
Under these conditions the page finally opens…
The precise "Execution Policies" features remain quite obscure!https://eileenslounge.com/posting.php?m ... 55&t=34474#

bureau.jacques
Lounger

Post by bureau.jacques »

I just restarted my computer, and Edge did not appear!
Maybe
makes the difference?

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

bureau.jacques wrote:
17 May 2020, 15:22
... my Microsoft account,
You have a Microsoft account... :flee:
People who support things like "DeBloat" and "ShutUp" recommend that you do not have such an account.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Doc.AElstein wrote:
17 May 2020, 14:04
Microsoft are becoming more and more aggressive at forcing you to do what you want.
It is occurring more often that you receive updates at a time of Microsoft’s choosing , irrespective of any setting you have.
It is often reported that this occurs at a computer restart, that is to say, on starting Windows. So you may need to “debloat” and “Shutup” after every Windows start.
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE . . .
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016