long running script

sciencemagic
StarLounger

long running script

Post by sciencemagic »

I keep getting the message long running script, IE not responding. I have tried community help with IE to no avail. Can anyone explain why I keep getting this message and how to fix it? Thank you.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: long running script

Post by Rudi »

It sounds like a cliche, but you could try using CCleaner and run it to clean your system, temp files and temp internet files. After running, see if that has resolved the issue.
Have you tried using a different browser like Chrome or FireFox? Do you get the same script errors in other browsers?
Another option is to check the settings in the Advanced tab of IE (under Browsing) and verify if the indicated checkboxes are as follows.
S11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Also: do you get this message on all or many websites, or just on one or a handful of websites? If the latter, which one(s)?
Best wishes,
Hans

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Rudy,

Thanks for your reply. I was going to run CCleaner, but it said, it would delete all my files if run. Not good I believe. So, I didn't run it. I don't get the message with other browsers. I did check my internet options advanced tab and the appropriate boxes were checked. Being I don't care to lose all my files running CCleaner, what do you suggest for an alternative?

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Hans V,

Thanks for your reply Hans V. I don't get the error message on all sites, just a handful. Specifically, Yahoo Finance and Yahoo in general. Also, the web site Classmates is a definite problem too. There are some others but the exact ones don't come to mind right now, Hans V. The suggestion of running CCleaner, free version from another contributor, I didn't run because of the disclaimer of losing my files if I run it. Frankly, confused about running a program that would do that?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

CCleaner won't delete all your documents and programs, but mostly temporary files and similar. It is quite safe.

But if you don't trust it, you can clear your browser cache from within Internet Explorer:

- Click the Tools button to the right of the address bar:
S0213.png
- Select Internet Options from the dropdown menu.
S0214.png
- Click Delete...
- Decide which items you want to delete.
- If you delete the entire cache, you may have to provide a username and password at sites where you're normally logged in automatically. But no harm will be done.
S0215.png
- Click Delete.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Hans V,

Thanks again for your reply. I performed those same instructions that you listed on internet options some time back, to no avail unfortunately. I will though try CCleaner and see if there is any difference. I will try the free version, Hans V and let you know if I get the long running script message after the download. Thank you again, and I will get back to you.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Just to provide you a bit more confidence in using CCleaner:
First I would NEVER suggest to any lounger to run a program that will delete all their files!!
Second, CCleaner (as Hans said) is very safe and cleans you system from temporary and leftover files that clog your system. It does not remove any files that are used by the PC or the user.
Third, I (and about most of the regular loungers here) use CCleaner (and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free) on a regular basis to keep our PC's clean and optimized. Using these two apps can prevent many issues. I'm not saying that they will resolve your issue, but its worth a try and even if they do not resolve you would have successfully cleaned and unclogged your system anyhow.

Holding thumbs....
Regards,
Rudi

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Rudy,

Thank you for your reply. I did use CCleaner---free version, late yesterday afternoon. I will see if there is any difference. I did review Hans V's suggestion of checking out my internet options, advanced tab to see what was checked. The proper boxes are checked, and have been checked all along, so that didn't help, or negate the problem. Just so you know. By the way, when I do get the message of long running script, I also get the message at the top of my screen, IE not responding. Also, as I suspect you already know, this message appears when it takes very long to load a given page.
Also, I'm not a computer whiz, and I suspect most aren't. At least most of my friends seem to be in my same category of computer usage knowledge, and they seem lost also as to what to do to correct a given problem. Just thought I would mention this as it may help in future problem solving? Again, thank you for your help and advice, Rudy. I will get back to either you or Hans V if this problem reappears after using CCleaner.

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Rudy,

I still get the long running script message after using CCleaner. Any suggestions as to what options are now available?

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Hans V,

I still get the long running script message on some sites. The latest where it appeared was the site called weather underground. Any suggestions, Hans V?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you experience this problem on some websites only, it's probably caused by specific JavaScript code on those websites, and you cannot change that of course. As Rudi suggested, you might try visiting them using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer - each browser has its strengths and weaknesses when it comes to executing script.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

By the way, there is no need to reply to Rudi and me in separate posts - I read all replies, not only directed specifically at myself, and the same goes for Rudi.
Best wishes,
Hans

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Hans V,

Thanks again for your reply. While I have heard of JavaScript, I really don't know what it does frankly. But, if that is the possible culprit and nothing can be done about it, I guess so be. When I do use the browser Firefox, it does generally perform better than IE, and when I tried using it versus IE when having trouble with the site weather underground, it did work a little better. So, you are suggesting if I incur a problem with long running script in the future, simply try using a different browser and see if that helps? Again, thank you.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

sciencemagic wrote:... you are suggesting if I incur a problem with long running script in the future, simply try using a different browser and see if that helps? ...
Yes, that is what Hans implies.
Everyone has their own preferences to which browser they use; but the three big players are IE, Chrome and FireFox. Out of these three, IE is the least used (if my observations within the lounge are correct). Chrome and Firefox have surpassed IE as better, cleaner, more stable and less bloated browsers. However, as Hans mentions they all have their strengths/weaknesses.

One other thing that has not been mentioned is Windows updates and/or IE version? Is your PC set to do automatic updates? If not, Windows, and your browser might be out of date and this cause possibly cause the script issues you face too. To check if your PC is set to automatic updates, follow the steps here, and if IE needs to be updated, follow the steps here.

Lastly, (my personal recommendation/opinion), try Chrome or Firefox.
:whisper: They are better than IE.
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Since this thread is mostly about problems with IE, I have moved it to the Internet Explorer forum (thanks for the suggestion, Rudi).
Best wishes,
Hans

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Rudy,

Thank you for your reply. I did check, and I do have auto updates for IE. So, I presume the required and latest updates are in place. Nonetheless, IE is slow, and it can take forever to load certain sites. I would agree that maybe Firefox is better, or at least faster, and I do use it about 50% of the time. By the way, it is better to use just one browser, or jump back and forth between two, like I do with IE and Firefox. This may sound peculiar, but the reason I do that is because it seems the more I use a given browser, the slower it becomes over time. So, in my own retarded way, I try not and over use a browser. I was using Firefox exclusively several years ago, and it was getting slow, so I tried IE one day and was blown away how fast it was initially working, no comparisom. So, I continued to use it and make it my primary browser. But, now it is slower than Firefox and more troublesome. I have a fast connection, so my computer speed shouldn't be held up by that. Any opinions as to jumping back and forth between browsers?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I regularly switch between browsers - I use Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome.

And I run CCleaner from time to time to clear their caches in one go (you can, of course, clear the cache from within each browser individually, but CCleaner does it all with one click).
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Its not really the browser that becomes sluggish; at least not directly. I would believe that it is a clogged up system. That is where CCleaner and Malwarebytes comes into play. They clean out your TEMP folders and ensure your system is clear of malware, which is the cause of slow speeds. You can certainly toggle between two browsers if you want and there are no side effects in doing so, but it is not necessary if you keep your system clean by regularly using the indicated apps. I use Chrome exclusively and have never experienced it being sluggish....
Regards,
Rudi

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Rudy,

Thanks for the info. I will probably try Chrome, and see how it works. I suspect initially it will be fast with no hank ups like I get with IE now? In so far as trying to keep my system free of clutter, I do maintenance on my system regularly. I free up disc space when it gets too crowded and my system automatically defrags itself weekly. Any advantage in doing so, or am I just wasting time? Frankly, I really don't notice any difference in the performance of my computer after doing the maintenance. Thanks again.