HTML shortcut to use Google define using selected word

Rudi
gamma jay

HTML shortcut to use Google define using selected word

Post by Rudi »

I've been playing around with the idea to create a shortcut I can place on a shortcut toolbar (in Chrome, but in any browser for that matter), that when clicked will add the word "define:" in the address bar and then I can type the word after it - which will then activate Google's define search and provide definitions on the word in question. I have achieved this by simply editing a search for 'define'... (The shortcut looks like this: https://www.google.co.za/search?q=define:).

The real question now is: Is it possible is to be able to add the selected word from the current webpage after the word 'define:' so it searches the definition of the selected word using Google's define search. I don't want to type the word in after clicking the shortcut. It is similar to Google's context menu when you right click a word. Sometimes it defines it, other times not. It will always define if the word 'define:' is added to the search.
1.jpg
Is there any way to create this shortcut? How would I structure up the HTML code to place in the shortcuts action command?
TX
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Re: HTML shortcut to use Google define using selected word

Post by HansV »

You can download free add-ons/extensions for IE, Firefox and Chrome that let you look up the definition of a word: Access The Free Dictionary from Anywhere, section Right-Click Browser Add-on.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: HTML shortcut to use Google define using selected word

Post by Rudi »

Add-on for FreeDictionary works great. TX.
Add-on's eh! I could have thought of that!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.