Windows ME

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Windows ME

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I have been donated to a Windows ME CD.
It is a Dell CD, and I'd appreciate any pointers/suggestions before I play around with it.
I was thinking of installing it either on my old Pentium, or on the clunky old IBM server.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 09 Feb 2010, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: Wndows ME

Post by HansV »

Windows ME (subject of your post) or Windows CE (body of your post)?
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Windows ME (subject of your post) or Windows CE (body of your post)?
ME, Fixed. Thanks :eagleeyes:
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows ME

Post by HansV »

Frankly, I'd throw the CD away, or use it as a coaster. Windows ME was one of Microsoft's weaker efforts - its predecessor Windows 98 SE and its successor Windows XP were much better.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

ChrisGreaves wrote:ME, Fixed. Thanks :eagleeyes:
If it is a Dell CD then ME is an OEM version that is supposed to be installed only on the original hardware on which it was originally installed. Any other use is a license violation. That said, I doubt that anyone really cares about a copy of ME. I concur with Hans about throwing it out.

Joe
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have a BOXED copy of ME here in one of my desk drawers, just waiting for a old clunker to come by for me to NOT use it.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

mbarron
2StarLounger

Post by mbarron »

Dave,
You could send your copy to Chris and he could make one of these.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Win 9.x is far from dead, there are dedicated geeks out there stretching it as far as they can. You can follow all their antics here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=8
and on the child board here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=91

I started reading those boards when I got locked out of 'the other place' when it first moved to IPB2 and because (as some of you may recall) my main home PC for many years has been a Win 98FE box I put together myself back in 1998. I recently retired this as the main home PC but I intend to rebuild it with as many bells & whistles as I can from the above repositories of ancient lore.

As for what to do with an ME CD, your best option is to use it in conjunction with a Win 98SE CD and an unofficial 'update' called 98SE2ME, which 'patches' 98SE with the bits of ME that are worth having (as Hans said, ME was a bit of a dud).

Alternatively, mail it to me because I also have an old pre-installed Packard Bell OEM ME box sitting around (irritating Mrs Stuck) that I'd like to revive but for which I have no ME master CD.

Ken

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I have been donated to a Windows ME CD.
It is a Dell CD, and I'd appreciate any pointers/suggestions before I play around with it.
I was thinking of installing it either on my old Pentium, or on the clunky old IBM server.
I understand they make "challenging" targets if fired from a clay pigeon trap...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

jonwallace wrote:
ChrisGreaves wrote:I have been donated to a Windows ME CD.
I understand they make "challenging" targets if fired from a clay pigeon trap...
That they do indeed.
They are also good to hang from a tree branch and let the wind swing them around. You have to be a good shot or use a shotgun.
Another use is to tack a few on the side of your house to scare away woodpeckers and discourage them from thinking your siding is a tasty morsel.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I had a co-worker friend when I worked at KET Television who saved everyone's outdated CDs and when he got a large collection of them he hung them in overlapping fashion on his office wall, shiny side out. Made a conversation piece "mirror."