Word 2003 menu aberration

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Word 2003 menu aberration

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I would like to submit the following observation for the most obscure FYI item this month, MSWord category:-

I am still writing and testing code to trap user events, today in the File, Save/saveAs/saveaLl groups.
I have macros FileSave, FileSaveAs, FileSaveAll which fire up when the user chooses an item from the menu or a button from a toolbar.
I test for handling with 2, 1 and 0 documents open.
To my non-surprise, with 0 documents open the FileSave and saveAs options are disabled.
My macros are still present, so within my macros I must deal with Documents.Count=0 situations.

But to my surprise, with 0 documents open File, saveaLl is NOT disabled. It brings up the regular "Save Normal?" question.
Oddly enough, File, Close all is disabled!
3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 16 Apr 2021, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: Word 2003 menu aberration

Post by HansV »

Normal.dot is loaded as long as Word is active, so it cannot be closed. Hence, if all documents are closed, Close All is not applicable and thus disabled.
However, Normal.dot can be saved (if it has been modified), even when all documents are closed. So Save All still makes sense.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Isn't that kinda correct? The normal template and any attached templates can still be saved, but there are no documents currently 'open'..?

Having been working a lot with Office 2007 and 2010 recently I'm wearing rose-tinted glasses; I'm of the opinion that Office 2003 was faultless, especially in comparison with 7 or 10 :smile:

I miss being able to hold the Shift key and click the File or Edit menu to get additional options :groan:. And a Field used to be a field, not a 'quick part' or 'building block' :sad:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:... Normal.dot can be saved ... So Save All still makes sense.
Thanks Hans.
You are correct.

:rainonmyparade:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

agibsonsw wrote:Isn't that kinda correct?
Hi Andy.
I gues if Hans says it's so, it must be so.

:rainonthisparade,too:
I miss being able to hold the Shift key and click the File or Edit menu
Huh?
What extras did you get with Shift-Edit?
(As usual I'll be the last one to know ...)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think that was in Excel: the Copy and Paste items in the Edit menu of Excel 2003 or earlier become Copy Picture and Paste Picture if you hold down Shift while selecting the menu.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:... Copy Picture and Paste Picture if you hold down Shift while selecting the menu.
Rats!
And there I was hoping to master Excel 2003 before 2007 came out!

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.

In Word 2003 holding Shift and clicking the File menu displays 'Close All' and 'Save All' menu options.

It was also possible in Word 2003 to create what was called (as I vaguely recall :scratch:) a 'Workgroup' toolbar. You could add or drag frequently used documents onto it for easy access. But I can't remember the steps involved.

Trawling my memory banks further, there were shortcut keys that added selected content to a 'Spike' for later pasting. Similar to the (rather annoying) Multiple Clipboard, I suppose. I don't know if this 'Spike' still exists :scratch:.

In Word (and Excel) I used to be able to just drag text, etc., onto the desktop to create a.. aargh! What was it called? Snapshot, scratch, snippet..? I bet that as soon as I press the 'Submit' button below I will remember what it was called.. :grin:

Regards, Andy.

Added: .. as I said, it was called a Document Scrap.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ah - so you found out about one of the major uses of the Submit button: to refresh your memory... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

HansV wrote:Ah - so you found out about one of the major uses of the Submit button: to refresh your memory... :evilgrin:
:laugh: similar things happen to me all the time. I spent over an hour trying to get an Access append query to work. I was staring at the two columns and willing them (using mind control..) into the table! Arrived home and sorted it within five minutes :smile:

It also often happens (as you know..) that, in trying to clearly describe a question to post, this process alone is often enough to arrive at a solution.

Regards, Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A mathematics professor I knew a long time ago once said to me that if he really wanted to understand a difficult subject, he'd offer to teach a course on it...
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

HansV wrote:A mathematics professor I knew a long time ago once said to me that if he really wanted to understand a difficult subject, he'd offer to teach a course on it...
I wanted to learn jQuery but I didn't fancy the time it would take to study a book - I had already studied JavaScript in great depth. (jQuery is a framework on top of JavaScript.)
So i joined the jQuery forum and answered hundreds of questions, even receiving a few offers of employment in the process :smile:. This was a rewarding experience and I learnt a great deal very quickly.

But a lot of the time all I was doing was Googling, and modifying the code or answer that I found to respond to their posted question. So it seems there are an awful lot of people out there who don't know how to perform a search(!?) or who don't even attempt to. Although.. I did become very skilled at searching: I was able to quickly recognise which results would lead to a dead end, and to realise when I needed to re-phrase or re-order my search terms.

Can't complain too much though as I've been guilty of 'search laziness' myself a bit recently, soz :thankyou: . Andy.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

agibsonsw wrote:Added: .. as I said, it was called a Document Scrap.
And I always thought that a Document Scrap was a fight between parts of a Master Document :laugh: :rofl: :clapping:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote: he'd offer to teach a course on it...
Absolutely.
I've known for years that whenever I deliver a course I learn more than the students.

(And that's NOT an invitation to comment on my low standards of delivery!)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

agibsonsw wrote: Arrived home and sorted it within five minutes
Hi Andy, et al.
Y'all might be interested in the 18m30s point in this Guradian "Science Weekly" podcast

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

agibsonsw wrote:
29 Jul 2011, 20:13
In Word 2003 holding Shift and clicking the File menu displays 'Close All' and 'Save All' menu options.
And let's not forget (if I have remembered correctly) that holding down the Shift key before choosing Open in the File, Open dialogue box, will inhibit Auto-macros in the document about to be opened.
Cheers
Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This is a 10 year old thread!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 15:05
This is a 10 year old thread!
But none the less valuable for all that
You'd be amazed what you can turn up by using that "site:" trick you taught me!
Or maybe it was geoffW.
Someone, at any rate.
Cheers
:threadhead: