What Does ! Mean

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

What Does ! Mean

Post by hlewton »

On one of my Windows 11 machines when I look at the Windows Update it shows an exclamation point but it also says it is up to date. Please see the attachment. What does that exclamation point mean?

I also see that Windows 11 version 22H2 is available on that machine. Any advice on whether or not to install it. I have the Start11 program on my Win 11 machines and don't want the way they are setup now to change. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Update.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: What Does ! Mean

Post by HansV »

Windows 11 22H2 is the first major update of Windows 11, released yesterday. It is not a required update at this time, hence you get "You're up to date". Whether you want to install it or not is up to you - you might want to wait a while to see how others fare.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 14:47
Windows 11 22H2 is the first major update of Windows 11, released yesterday. It is not a required update at this time, hence you get "You're up to date". Whether you want to install it or not is up to you - you might want to wait a while to see how others fare.
Thanks Hans. Is that exclamation point about the 22H2 update?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I guess so - I'm not getting offered the update yet and I have a green check mark.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 14:54
I guess so - I'm not getting offered the update yet and I have a green check mark.
OK, thank you. BTW, I only got offered the update on 1 of the 2 Win 11 machines I have. Not sure it means anything, but it was the machine that was updated from Win 10, not the one that has only had Win 11 installed on it.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Microsoft always rolls out such updates gradually, it can take days, weeks or even months before a particular computer is offered the update in Windows Update. (It's always possible to download it directly for those who can't wait)
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I believe I'll wait as long as possible to see if other brave souls have problems with it.
Regards,
hlewton

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

My Win 11 computer went through the update and so far seems to be running along okay..... for what that is worth to others. My system is for gaming but of course I use it for anything else that I want to do, like photo editing, surfing, emails, and the like. It is also Windows Home and not Pro.
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The exclamation point just means an update is available.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 19:10
The exclamation point just means an update is available.
Thanks for that information.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I just updated both my Windows 11 machines to version 22H2. On the one I got the same type of message as I started this thread about. Again, now as of today, I am running version 22H2. If I click on either place that says, "Download and install<" nothing at all happens. This exclamation point was there before I installed version 22H2 but it had gone away in recent weeks. Now it is back and was in 21H2 and now 22H2 versions. Any idea what is happening now?
2020.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'd leave it alone for now - it is only a "Preview" update.
Check again in a few weeks.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 18:58
I'd leave it alone for now - it is only a "Preview" update.
Check again in a few weeks.
Thank you. I'll do that.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Today I was able to install and get rid of that exclamation point. However, now on both Windows 11 computers, I get what can be seen in the attachment. Not sure what it means. On one hand it says I am up to date and on the other it wants me to download and install an update. Is this update needed or is to be considered optional?

I found this but have no idea what it means:
September 30, 2022—KB5017389 (OS Build 22621.608 ...
https://support.microsoft.com › en-us › topic › septemb...
Sep 30, 2022 — Addresses an issue that affects some processors. This issue occurs when you turn on Hyper-V and kernel Direct Memory Access (DMA) protections.
Today.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Judging by the description, that update is not essential for you. But it won't hurt to install it. I did so without negative effects.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 10:51
Judging by the description, that update is not essential for you. But it won't hurt to install it. I did so without negative effects.
OK, thank you. I wonder why MS just doesn't include something like this in their "normal" updates. I guess they like confusing people like me. :grin:
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See Rolling out new features for Windows 11 22H2. I believe this is just getting the code on your machine. At some point in October, Microsoft will flip a switch to enable the features.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 22:15
See Rolling out new features for Windows 11 22H2. I believe this is just getting the code on your machine. At some point in October, Microsoft will flip a switch to enable the features.
Thanks Joe for the link. I read it all, and as far as I can tell, I have not seen any of the NEW features it mentions. This is not a problem for me since I do not really like changes. I do have the 22H2 installed though. Hopefully it is operating as it will continue to operate in the future for me.

I was expecting to see that change it mentioned to "enhance File Explorer" with Tabs. That didn't happen, again I am not disappointed. A little confused about what they mean when they say,
"On the new File Explorer homepage, you can pin important files for quick and easy access."
Have no idea what a File Explorer Home Page is.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

These features are currently available to (some) Windows Insiders only. They will be released to ordinary users such as you and I later.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 12:47
These features are currently available to (some) Windows Insiders only. They will be released to ordinary users such as you and I later.
OK, thanks. I hope I have the choice because I really don't want anything to change.
Regards,
hlewton