Automatic start up of Win 11 PC?

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Automatic start up of Win 11 PC?

Post by Skitterbug »

Is it possible to set up a daily start up for my newly acquired PC? It is easy peasy in Mac but so far I've had nada luck with PC. I think Tweak UI used to do it? I've looked at MS PowerToys? Maybe I've missed an option but I didn't see a way using either of those apps. And then I tried Task Scheduler but I haven't been able to figure it out for start up.

Opened Task Scheduler as Admin. I created a task. Found the Start up exe. Set time, etc. Then set it to open a program (Thunderbird.exe) since I read somewhere on the web that a startup of an app was needed to encourage the PC to boot up and run? Anyway, then when I hit 'ok', I get a message that says "Task Scheduler cannot apply your changes. The user account is unknown, the password is incorrect (I always log in with the Windows Hello pw), or the user account does not have permission to modify the task."
I delved down to try and change permission and ended up with the warning that if I did what I was thinking of doing, I would change the system's permissions. So I backed out of that.

I looked into the computer's BIOS but didn't see anything that would be helpful for the automatic booting schedule.

So how do I get my pc to automatically startup the same time every day? It doesn't even have to be logged in, just started.

Thanks for any help offered! :smile:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Automatic start up of Win 11 PC?

Post by StuartR »

You should be able to do this using task scheduler. These instructions for doing this on Windows 10 should work fine on Windows 11.
https://windowsloop.com/schedule-restart-windows/
StuartR

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Hi Stuart! Thanks for the quick reply. Our electric was down this afternoon so this is the first I've been able to log in again! I'll give your link a read and try to do as it says and I'll report back if works for me!

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Can you not simply put a shortcut to Thunderbird in the Windows startup folder, so that it opens when Windows, err..., starts up?

This link is for Win 10 but I guess it will apply to Win 11 as well:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 3c295d89dd

Ken

Edited to strike through, I misread the original post :blush:
Last edited by stuck on 21 Aug 2022, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 18:18
So how do I get my pc to automatically startup the same time every day? It doesn't even have to be logged in, just started.
Hi Skitterbug.
Do you mean "startup" from a power-off state, or "restart" from a powered-on state?

My weak understanding of "startup" is that to power-on you need a signal from another (running) computer to effect that, but a cable.
The "restart" can be accomplished with a 1-line batch file, but you would need to be sure that you weren't in the middle of something important when it kicked in at 0700 hours!

Code: Select all

ShutDown.exe -r  -t 00 -f
Cheers, Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Hi Chris - I mean "startup" from a power-off state. Shutting down the computer when I am done with it in the evening isn't difficult but I would like the computer to power up in the mornings without the need to manually press the power button. Is this possible?

I tried Stuart's link but I think that information concerns a reboot of the system - so that doesn't work for what I want to do.

Never fear, I won't be near the computer at 0700.... so I won't be in the middle of computery things then. :smile:

So yes, any ideas are definitely appreciated. Apple/Mac does make this task so simple. Why can't Windows? : :scratch:

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Hi Ken - I appreciate your response even if it isn't want I need at the moment. It may eventually be something useful though! It's amazing how much I've forgotten about Windows O/S. Apple/Mac made it easy or maybe it made me lazy...! :rofl:

It's good "hearing" from you! This PC has given me a reason for posting again! <chortle>

stuck wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 08:40
Can you not simply put a shortcut to Thunderbird in the Windows startup folder, so that it opens when Windows, err..., starts up?

This link is for Win 10 but I guess it will apply to Win 11 as well:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 3c295d89dd

Ken

Edited to strike through, I misread the original post :blush:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 12:10
Hi Chris - I mean "startup" from a power-off state.
Hi Skitterbug. This search may give you a few clues.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=power+on+remo ... 1-1&ia=web

Back when I had three networked computers (WinXP) I remember seeing options to "wake up on LAN" or something like that. As all three computers sat on the one trestle table, I couldn't see the need.
I suspect that it was in a BIOS setting, but things have changed over the years; it isn't called BIOS any more, so i can not steer you in the correct direction.
Why can't Windows? : :scratch:
Who says Windows can't?
I think that you and I don't know how to tell Windows to do it.

That said, suppose that you find a way to have a networked computer fire up your PC, that means that you need to have a second computer running all night anyway, doesn't it?

Of course, there may have been a few advances in Windows since 2002, and perhaps the BIOS-that-was is now capable of effecting a power-on all by itself.

A second option comes to mind: I am often awake around 2a.m., a book in bed and toast-and-marmalade. You could fly me to your place in your private jet each morning; I have little else to do until the sun rises ... :innocent:
Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:
There again, "power off/on" has changed. There is sleep, hibernate, and the weird Win10 shutdown-that-is-really-like-sleep, and restart that is really like the old power-off-then-on.

Perhaps you can move the PC to a sleep/hibernate state at night (low power consumption), and tell it to wake itself up in the morning?
That is, I think that there is a difference between a full cessation of power (as in protection against a power surge) and a quiescent state that uses minimal energy but is on standby.
Cheers, Chris

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Good Morning Chris!
ChrisGreaves wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 12:20
Skitterbug wrote:
Hi Skitterbug. This search may give you a few clues.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=power+on+remo ... 1-1&ia=web
I've searched before I asked here but (apparently) I didn't have any success finding the info I needed. Maybe your search has produced something more useful? I'll check it out in a little while.
Back when I had three networked computers (WinXP) I remember seeing options to "wake up on LAN" or something like that. As all three computers sat on the one trestle table, I couldn't see the need.
I suspect that it was in a BIOS setting, but things have changed over the years; it isn't called BIOS any more, so i can not steer you in the correct direction.
I've "entered into" the BIOS but didn't find anything I recognized as useful. :sad: So I backed out of there before I messed something up!
Why can't Windows? : :scratch:

Who says Windows can't?
I think that you and I don't know how to tell Windows to do it.
That said, suppose that you find a way to have a networked computer fire up your PC, that means that you need to have a second computer running all night anyway, doesn't it?

Of course, there may have been a few advances in Windows since 2002, and perhaps the BIOS-that-was is now capable of effecting a power-on all by itself.

A second option comes to mind: I am often awake around 2a.m., a book in bed and toast-and-marmalade. You could fly me to your place in your private jet each morning; I have little else to do until the sun rises ... :innocent:
Cheers, Chris
I don't allow anything to run during the night hours once I am done and off to bed.
Wouldn't it be wonderful to have access to a private jet? OH WAIT! I don't like to fly about anywhere so I'd never own one.... OH WAIT - I don't have the $$ to own one anyway! :laugh:

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I did indeed assume that you wanted to restart the computer.

If you want to start a computer from a (nearly) powered off state then you need to use Wake On LAN, which requires BIOS support, and another computer on the network that can send the signal to wake this one up. There is an Android app called WolOn that can send the Wake on LAN signal, that might help you get this working. But I have never tried this app and cannot recommend it.
StuartR

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Re:

Post by Skitterbug »

StuartR wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 18:21
I did indeed assume that you wanted to restart the computer.

If you want to start a computer from a (nearly) powered off state then you need to use Wake On LAN, which requires BIOS support, and another computer on the network that can send the signal to wake this one up. There is an Android app called WolOn that can send the Wake on LAN signal, that might help you get this working. But I have never tried this app and cannot recommend it.
Hi Stuart - I didn't make myself very clear so that made a mess of my request.
I have another computer on my home lan/wifi network but I don't want it running either. Also, I'm still learning about what the BIOS can and cannot do .... so I reckon for now, I'll have to manually push the start button. <fiddlesticks> In this area, my MAC computer has the PC beat because I can set it to start up whenever I want.

Anyway, I will go check out the link you included to see what it is about. And I thank you for your feedback.

Have a super day! :cheers:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Re:

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 18:40
... my MAC computer has the PC beat because I can set it to start up whenever I want.
Skitterbug, that sounds to me as if your Mac is not really powered off.
If your Mac is able to start itself up, then it must surely have electricity running through it, even if only a trickle.

As a thought experiment, what happens if you unplug your Mac from the wall socket before you head off to bed?
Cheers, Chris

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 22:59
If your Mac is able to start itself up, then it must surely have electricity running through it, even if only a trickle.
As Meatloaf would've said, Chris took the words right out of mouth! By definition, the Mac must be in some kind of standby/hibernate mode if it is able to restart itself.

(This is assuming Macs don't come with a mechanical alarm clock. When you turn it off, can you hear any ticking noise...? :grin: )
Leif

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Leif wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 06:28
ChrisGreaves wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 22:59
As Meatloaf would've said, Chris took the words right out of mouth! By definition, the Mac must be in some kind of standby/hibernate mode if it is able to restart itself.

(This is assuming Macs don't come with a mechanical alarm clock. When you turn it off, can you hear any ticking noise...? :grin: )
Hi Leif - I don't know the inter workings of the Mac. I know that there is a place in the preference panel that I can set a daily shutdown and bootup schedule. The Mac will startup from the schedule that I set. Of course it has to be plugged in to a power source be able to do so.

I wonder why a PC cannot do the same? And if it can, how is it done - that is the question!

Meatloaf will be remembered for years to come - a sad day when he passed.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 14:43
... I can set a daily shutdown and bootup schedule. The Mac will startup from the schedule that I set. Of course it has to be plugged in to a power source be able to do so.
(1) Use the 1-line restart batch file I posted
(2) Use Task Scheduler or its equivalent to run that batch file at a set time each day.

You could test that 1-liner by pasting it to a command-line - make sure you have saved everything first.
Cheers, Chris

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 14:59

(1) Use the 1-line restart batch file I posted
(2) Use Task Scheduler or its equivalent to run that batch file at a set time each day.

You could test that 1-liner by pasting it to a command-line - make sure you have saved everything first.
Cheers, Chris

Okay Chris - here is the code you are referring to?

ShutDown.exe -r  -t 00 -f
I am confused because it says to ShutDown rather than Startup? I want the computer to start up the same time every day?
But hoping that somewhere in that code is "language" that translates to the computer that it must start up! I'll give it a try and see what happens!

Sign me "trusting"!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 02:35
I am confused because it says to ShutDown rather than Startup?
You can always get help on an old DOS command by typing the command followed by a space, forward slash, and question-mark.
I have attached a text file that shows the output of the "Shutdown.exe /?' command.
The parameters of most interest to you are probably these:-

/s         Shutdown the computer.
     /r         Full shutdown and restart the computer.
    /a         Abort a system shutdown.
               This can only be used during the time-out period.
     /t xxx     Set the time-out period before shutdown to xxx seconds.
     /f         Force running applications to close without forewarning users.
               The /f parameter is implied when a value greater than 0 is
               specified for the /t parameter.

My command line sample reads:-
-r - so this is restart, or as MS says full,shutdown and then restart the computer - which is, I think, what you want.
-t 00 - so don't hesitate, just DO IT! This leaves me no time for saying "no, hang about a minute, not right now ..." etc.
-f and this says to bulldoze any open applications, documents etc into the local dump.

I recommend that you open a DOS ComManD prompt to play with these options before you dive into task scheduler. That is, manually issue the commands get to know the relevant options and watch how they operate before you invest time in automating the process.
I want the computer to start up the same time every day?
This you do by setting up a task in Task Schedulre, although my peers and superiors suggest the new-fangled scripting. I tried this a couple of years ago but couldn't get it to work.
I should maybe revisit those threads and try again.

I believe that the new methods ARE more versatile, but as well they came with a learning curve that was too steep for me, at that time i was getting the house rewired and going all-electric.

In summary you have two tasks to resolve and implement:-

(1) The business of restarting your computer by some sort of script or command
(2) running that script or command at a specified time.

Right now I am having problems with a critical part of my AutoExec.bat (boot) file, so I am issuing my Restart.bat manually whenever I feel like rebooting, and issuing my AutoExec.bat manually first thing each morning while the :coffee: is making itself.

Hang in there, kiddo. Remember that you are smarter than the average USA citizen!
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Chris,

This command of yours can only work if the computer is running. It will shutdown and restart the computer. It can't do anything if the computer is already shut down.
StuartR

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 11:14
Skitterbug wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 02:35
I am confused because it says to ShutDown rather than Startup?
You can always get help on an old DOS command by typing the command followed by a space, forward slash, and question-mark.
I have attached a text file that shows the output of the "Shutdown.exe /?' command.
The parameters of most interest to you are probably these:-

/s         Shutdown the computer.
     /r         Full shutdown and restart the computer.
    /a         Abort a system shutdown.
               This can only be used during the time-out period.
     /t xxx     Set the time-out period before shutdown to xxx seconds.
     /f         Force running applications to close without forewarning users.
               The /f parameter is implied when a value greater than 0 is
               specified for the /t parameter.

My command line sample reads:-
-r - so this is restart, or as MS says full,shutdown and then restart the computer - which is, I think, what you want.
-t 00 - so don't hesitate, just DO IT! This leaves me no time for saying "no, hang about a minute, not right now ..." etc.
-f and this says to bulldoze any open applications, documents etc into the local dump.

I recommend that you open a DOS ComManD prompt to play with these options before you dive into task scheduler. That is, manually issue the commands get to know the relevant options and watch how they operate before you invest time in automating the process.
I want the computer to start up the same time every day?
This you do by setting up a task in Task Schedulre, although my peers and superiors suggest the new-fangled scripting. I tried this a couple of years ago but couldn't get it to work.
I should maybe revisit those threads and try again.

I believe that the new methods ARE more versatile, but as well they came with a learning curve that was too steep for me, at that time i was getting the house rewired and going all-electric.

In summary you have two tasks to resolve and implement:-

(1) The business of restarting your computer by some sort of script or command
(2) running that script or command at a specified time.

Right now I am having problems with a critical part of my AutoExec.bat (boot) file, so I am issuing my Restart.bat manually whenever I feel like rebooting, and issuing my AutoExec.bat manually first thing each morning while the :coffee: is making itself.

Hang in there, kiddo. Remember that you are smarter than the average USA citizen!
Cheers, Chris
Hi Chris - Lots to sort through in your post. Enough to keep me busy for awhile. :smile:

Nice that you think I am smarter than average! :blush: At the moment though, I find myself completely baffled with some aspects of this PC. So - onward ever...... into the battle with artifical intelligence!

And thanks for your thoughts! And yes, maybe a cuppa coffee would be good right now! :coffeetime: :grin: