Running Windows File Explorer As Administrator

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Running Windows File Explorer As Administrator

Post by hlewton »

I searched the WEB and found if I wanted to run Windows File Explorer as the Administrator I should do this, "Right-click the File Explorer app and then select “Run as Administrator” in the context menu. A new instance of File Explorer will open with administrative privileges." On both my Win 11 machines I get this error message, please see attachment. How can I fix this to be able to run File Explorer as Administrator? On both my computers the only place I find the Run As Administrator option is in the File Explorer icon in the Start menu. None of the shortcuts for File Explorer on my Desktop even offer that option. Thanks
File Explorer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Running Windows File Explorer As Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try the following:
- Start File Explorer the normal way.
- Navigate to C:\Windows
- Locate explorer.exe in the right-hand pane.
- Right-click explorer.exe and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.

S1670.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

That did open another instance of File Explorer, thank you.

I checked the Properties of explorer.exe while there and saw that I do not seem to have Full Control of it before choosing Run as Administrator. Not sure what happens after choosing Run as Administrator but was wondering if there is a way in what you see in the attachment to "associate it to the file explorer" as the above attachment is asking me to do. If so, I could then run it from the File Explorer in the Start Menu.
Explorer.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I cannot help you with that. Do you have a specific reason for wanting to run File Explorer as Administrator?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 18:39
I cannot help you with that. Do you have a specific reason for wanting to run File Explorer as Administrator?
I have 2 files, rcblan.sys and wdcsam64_prewin8.sys, that are stopping me from enabling Memory Integrity in Windows Defender's settings. I can not find an association to those 2 files in the Device Manager. So, I found them using a program called Everything that searches for and can find any file that I've asked it to find so far. When I click on them and choose "Delete" I am not allowed or have the privilege to delete files in the Windows\System32\DeviceStore. So I thought possible by running File Explorer with Admin privileges I may be allowed to delete them. However, the more I think about it, the more I am becoming convinced maybe I should leave well enough alone.

This problem is on my computer that ran Win 10 Pro for 2 years but was upgraded to Win 11 pro a few weeks ago. Possibly that may be the reason the associated devices do not appear in the Device Manager any more. I know for sure the wdcsam64_prewin8.sys driver is no longer needed because it is for a Western Digital external drive and that device is never connected to it any more. The rcblan.sys driver says it is associated with Remote Control. I have no clue what that is since I have never used any remote control on any of my computers. The other problem with this driver is Everything finds 4 instances of it on the computer, 3 of them in the Program Files (86) folder the other 1 in the DeviceStore Folder. That concerns me.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I wouldn't mess with files in C:\Windows or any of its subfolders.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK, thanks. I believe that's a great idea.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

What do you think of this suggestion I got from another site for running File Explorer with Admin privileges? Please see attachment. Seems like it should work.
AdminExplorer.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Once again: why do you want to do this?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
19 Aug 2022, 22:11
Once again: why do you want to do this?
Well it started out that I wanted to be able to delete those 2 sys files mentioned above. But since I am hesitant to do that, even if this worked, I just became curious if it was at all possible to resolve that error dialog box.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I would NOT do this. The limits on the standard Admin account are there to protect the functions of the Operating System.
This is one of the "Lessons Learned" by Microsoft as the removal of some OP files by the user has been and still a big headache for them.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 00:43
I would NOT do this. The limits on the standard Admin account are there to protect the functions of the Operating System.
This is one of the "Lessons Learned" by Microsoft as the removal of some OP files by the user has been and still a big headache for them.
OK, thank you for that information.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

WOW PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Not sure why I hadn't thought of this before but it worked and I didn't need to run anything with Admin privileges. I used a program I already had installed called iObit Unlocker and deleted those 2 files.
Regards,
hlewton