Customized Themes in Windows 11

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Customized Themes in Windows 11

Post by hlewton »

I am trying to customize my desktop like I have on my other machines. I can’t seem to figure out how to do that. I have a solid background color that I like to use and a favorite photo in the middle of the desktop. I thought that photo was called Wallpaper. On the other computers, and I am not even sure how I did it there especially the Windows 10 computers, I would choose “Center” on that photo, and it would appear in the center of my desktop with the solid background color I choose. I believe this was called a customized theme and I have that theme saved on a drive where I could copy it.

I searched and found that Windows 11 stores themes in a folder named C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Ease of Access Themes. Is it possible if I copied the theme I have saved into that folder that it will appear as one of the themes available for me to choose from when I go to Settings>Personalization>Themes in Windows 11? If not, how do I recreate what I want in Windows 11?

I am asking this in advance of trying it because I have messed a couple things up since getting this computer and want to avoid another mistake.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Customized Themes in Windows 11

Post by HansV »

1) Start File Explorer / Windows Explorer.
Locate the picture you want to use.
Right-click it and select 'Set as desktop background' from the context menu.

2) Select Start > Settings > Personalization > Background
Select Center from the 'Choose a fit for your desktop image' drop-down.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
11 May 2022, 21:09

I thought I posted a reply here but apparently I must have exited before posting it.

So I need to ask this, I now have only a solid color showing as my Desktop, in following the above steps, will that color still be shown after I select "Center" for that photo? I think it will but the term Background has me wondering? I didn't see the option, "Choose a fit for your desktop image' drop-down" there now but maybe it will appear after I make the "Set as desktop background' from the context menu" selection. Please see attachment.

Thanks.
Themes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hlewton on 11 May 2022, 21:32, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You'll keep your solid background color. (It would have taken you about 20 seconds to test it...)
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
11 May 2022, 21:29
You'll keep your solid background color. (It would have taken you about 20 seconds to test it...)
I'm sorry but I was not sure if it could have been reversed if it didn't work since I don't see that option available now. I will test it.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

It worked out great and again I apologize for not testing it. Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm glad it worked out OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
11 May 2022, 22:02
...I was not sure if it could have been reversed if it didn't work...
I know Windows can be a bit weird at times but I don't think it's ever been so wired that a setting to let you do something will not then let you undo that same something.

Then again, I don't have Win 11, that joy will await me when Win 10 finally bites the dust in 2025.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows 11 has slightly fewer features than Windows 10, but it's not all that different...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
12 May 2022, 07:26
hlewton wrote:
11 May 2022, 22:02
...I was not sure if it could have been reversed if it didn't work...
I know Windows can be a bit weird at times but I don't think it's ever been so wired that a setting to let you do something will not then let you undo that same something.

Then again, I don't have Win 11, that joy will await me when Win 10 finally bites the dust in 2025.

Ken
I do have an example in Windows 11. I edited a Registry key to allow me to size the Taskbar icons. It let me size them alright but they were way too big and no other setting it took would change them back to their original size. So I deleted that key and that did no good. I was not allowed to reverse what I have done for some reason. I tried a restore and it did not run successfully. Luckily, in one of my threads, Hans asked me if anything had been added to my Windows 11 and I remembered that Start11 was installed. There was a setting in it that got my Taskbar icons back to an acceptable size. So I am very cautious what changes I make now.

I could give you another example of how installing Apple's iCloud totally screwed up my Outlook and Windows File Explorer and I had to contact my computer builder to get things straightened out but, that is a more lengthy story.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:

Hans, as it turns out, this was the easiest method I have ever used to customize my desktop. Since Windows 11 is kind of similar to Windows 10, do you know if the same procedure would work in Windows 10?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, it works the same there, but the drop-down is labeled just 'Choose a fit'.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

hlewton wrote:
12 May 2022, 11:06
I edited a Registry key to allow me to size the Taskbar icons. It let me size them alright but they were way too big and no other setting it took would change them back to their original size. So I deleted that key and that did no good. I was not allowed to reverse what I have done for some reason.
I can only assume that Windows 11 allows you to export and import keys as Windows 10 does. Before attempting any edit, I would recommend exporting first so that you can always recover the original data.
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
12 May 2022, 11:14
Yes, it works the same there, but the drop-down is labeled just 'Choose a fit'.
Thank you. Wish I had known that a few years ago because it was not as easy as the procedure you gave me. I don't even remember how I did it. I do know when I did it, I was trying to figure out how it was done in comparison to Windows 7.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
12 May 2022, 11:41
hlewton wrote:
12 May 2022, 11:06
I edited a Registry key to allow me to size the Taskbar icons. It let me size them alright but they were way too big and no other setting it took would change them back to their original size. So I deleted that key and that did no good. I was not allowed to reverse what I have done for some reason.
I can only assume that Windows 11 allows you to export and import keys as Windows 10 does. Before attempting any edit, I would recommend exporting first so that you can always recover the original data.
I am not familiar with either exporting or importing key in the Registry. I never did that but, I think I could figure it out. The key that caused me the problem was not originally in the registry so there would have been no key to export. I had to follow these instructions:
Taskbar Icons
Since there’s no native option of changing the taskbar icon size on Windows 11 (as of now), you will have to use a registry tweak to get the job done.
To do so, follow the instructions below:
Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box. Inside the text box, type ‘regedit’ and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open the Registry Editor with Admin access.
Once you’re inside the Registry Editor, use the left-hand side to navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Once you’re inside the correct location and you’re certain that the Advanced key is selected, move over to the right-hand side menu, right-click on an empty space and choose New > Dword (32-bit) Value.

Once the resulting Dword key is created, right-click on it and rename it to TaskbarSI.

Once the newly created DWORD value is modified with the correct name, double-click on it.

Next, set the Base to Hexadecimal, then set the Value Data field to one of these 3 values, depending on the taskbar size that you want:
Small Size - 0
Medium Size (Default) - 1
Larger Size - 2

After you finally set the Value Data to the appropriate value (according to the icon size that you want), click Ok to save the changes.

Reboot your computer and wait for the change to be enforced once the next startup is complete.
I may have made a mistake along the way but I don't think so since I was able to make the icons larger but they were too large. The Small and medium settings did not change them at all. Also, as I mentioned, even deleting the key didn't work. I was hiding the Taskbar until I found a setting in that Start11 program that helped fix it.
Last edited by hlewton on 12 May 2022, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:
12 May 2022, 08:30
Windows 11 has slightly fewer features than Windows 10, but it's not all that different...
My intention to not update to Win 11 until Win 10 dies is solely because the PC I have at the moment is only a 3rd gen. chip, i.e not even close to the 8th gen. min. req. of Win 11. However, despite it having such a lowly CPU, it is more than adequate for my home computing needs so I see no need to spend money** on a new PC until I absolutely have to.

Ken
** do remember, I was born in Scotland and have spent most of my life in Yorkshire so not spending money comes naturally :grin:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

That's my intention as well.

While I was not born in Scotland nor have I ever lived in Yorkshire, many of my ancestors were and did.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:

Got another question about this topic. Just today I had one of my Windows 10 computers updated to Windows 11. Some things changed slightly, but overall it went very well. One of the things that did change was my desktop appearance the way I wanted it. I tried following the quoted steps but after right clicking the picture I wanted, "Set as desktop background" from the context menu, was not an option. Do you know why that would be? On my other Win 11 machine, Win 11 was installed as the first OS on that machine. Should that make a difference?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

My desktop PC was upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 and it does have 'Set as desktop background' in the context menu of picture files.
There should also be a 'Set as background' option in the menu bar at the top of Windows Explorer if a picture file has been selected:

S1506.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 21:52
My desktop PC was upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 and it does have 'Set as desktop background' in the context menu of picture files.
There should also be a 'Set as background' option in the menu bar at the top of Windows Explorer if a picture file has been selected:

S1506.png
Yep it is there on the Pictures Tool Tab of Windows File Explorer. Thanks
Regards,
hlewton