Cooking Pies

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Cooking Pies

Post by ChrisGreaves »

This YouTube video has got me into a serious effort at making pies. Pies appeal to me because they offer a meat-and-veg snack when I feel I am too busy to cook; as well, a slice of apple-pie is a sweet alternative to toast-and-marmalade when I wake up at 1am or 2am.
2022_20220406_120524.jpg
One of the two major benefits (for me) of the video was when I learned that my rolling pin (a clear-skin wine bottle) was too short for pie pastry (6m53s). So I switched to a left-over piece of drain-pipe from last year when David renovated my kitchen and laundry. Yes, I have washed it thoroughly. At over 24” (61 cm for our American members), it easily straddles the pastry so that it can rest on the two paint-stirrer sticks (7m17s) that I stole from Swyers Hardware when no-one was looking. The pipe is a good diameter, light, and sufficiently rigid to satisfy me.

The second benefit was learning that if I place the pies (on a tray) close to the bottom element (12m11s), then the pies bases will bake solid. (All bets are off with apple-pies that have sat in the refrigerator for twenty-four hours (“one fourteenth of a fortnight for our American members.))
Everything else was icing-on-the-cake (like the egg-glaze). The pie filling will be whatever meat protein I have to hand, plus vegetables that look as if they will turn to mold any day now.

I miss the W.A. Steak-and-Kidney pies of my school days. I ever get back to WA I will probably be disappointed because (a) my school days are gone and (b) the S&K pies are probably manufactured on an assembly line in Argentina, or Brazil nowadays. Besides which, Kidneys are unavailable here in Bonavista. I have a spare one, but given my lifestyle of the 70s and 80s its utility is doubtful.

Today I am starting a fresh batch of pies, with ground-beef (“mince”), stewing steak, and apples. I bought a $31.31 frozen leg of NZ lamb yesterday as a treat, so I might make a few lamb pies on the side. Photos later.
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Cooking Pies

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 14:59
.... Photos later.
2022_20220408_104556_HDR.jpg
Lunchtime Chorus: "Oh No! Not Cornish pasties again!! We had them last year ..."
Relax - they aren't Cornish Pasties and I am not going down a tin mine.
For one thing I had no peas(1), so I didn't put them in. So these are not Cornish Pasties.
2022_20220408_104625.jpg
I rolled out my pastry, used a side-plate to cut the circles, and found that the circle was still too small to fit into the foil tray with sufficient overlap to hide the edge.
I tried rolling my circles a bit more, but that made them a tad irregular, rather, I thought, like a Cornish Pastry shell.

So I compromised ("gave up") and did the egg-wash thing around the rim, piled in as much meat as I could, folded over, crimped, made holes with the plastic nozzle of an tube of icing that I bought for a bed-time treat last month, tipped a teaspoon of beef gelatin in each hole, then used up as much egg-wash as I could (all of it) to coat the outsides.

The image above shows that the plate has not enough margin.

Have you ever tried rolling out a side-plate to make it thinner but with a larger diameter? I haven't.

The latest change-order is to use my kitchen shears to trim a bit off the circumference of the pie tins, pie tins being cheaper than side plates; especially in Bonavista.

(1) We need more peas in the world ...
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace