make endnotes appear at end of subsequent section

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

make endnotes appear at end of subsequent section

Post by stuck »

As far as I can see this can't be done but I'll ask anyway...

We have a document where Endnotes are set to appear at the end of a Section. This has never been a problem until today because the orientation of all the pages in the Section that hold the Endnotes have been the same (portrait). Today, someone wanted to one of the pages in that Section to be landscape but of course inserting a couple of Section breaks to achieve that means Endnotes 1,2 and 3 are now in Section 1, and appear at the end of that Section, while all the other Endnotes are now in Section 3 and appear at the end of that one.

Is there any Deep Word Magic that would persuade the first three Endnotes not to appear at the end of their Section but at the end of a different Section (which is not the last one, so not at the end of the doc.), i.e. just above where all the others are / where they were before?

Meanwhile, I've worked round this by replacing the the first three Endnotes with plain vanilla text citation numbers and ordinary text, placed immediately before the Section break where the rest appear and formatted to look like the other Endnotes.

Thanks,

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Re: make endnotes appear at end of subsequent section

Post by StuartR »

That workaround is probably the best your going to get. I guess the only alternative would be to put all the endnotes at the end of the document.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 16:06
As far as I can see this can't be done but I'll ask anyway...
Hi Ken.
It seems that footnotes and endnotes are identical except that they divide four places between them; and presumably do not share their numbering.
If I were cynical, I’d suggest that MS messed up and assigned TWO teams to a feature by mistake. One team made a design decision to allow the user to add hints:-

(a) Immediately after the lowest chunk of visible text in a page and
(b) Immediately above the header.
Both these references therefore are Page-bound.

(c) At the end of a Section and
(d) At the end of the Document
Both these references therefore are not so much page-bound as “multi-page” bound, in that the end of a section may be on the same page, or it may be several pages further down the track.

To my mind it’s all the same, and they could have been called collectively “HelpNotes” with four placement options.
If it wasn’t two separate teams it was a single team with warring factions. I worked in a team like that once; you can guess which side I was on!(1)

(1) The losing side, as usual.
Commiserations
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Chris, you might want to include both footnotes and endnotes in a document. The placement option affects the whole document, not just one note.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 17:05
Chris, you might want to include both footnotes and endnotes in a document. The placement option affects the whole document, not just one note.
Hi Stuart. I think I understand your point.
If we mentally relax the MSWord rules though, and call everything "HelpNotes" (or "HintNotes" or whatever), then all we need do is provide the end-user with a variety of options as to where each HelpNote should be placed.

Places that come to mind are:-
(1) At the end of the current sentence
(2) At the end of the current paragraph
(3) Immediately after the last visible text on the current page (footnote)
(4) Immediately above the footer (footnote)
(5) At the end of the current section (endnote)
(6) At the end of the current chapter (however that is defined!)
(7) At the end of the document (endnote)
If we truly loved the user we could even allow the user to define bookmarks labeled “HelpNote001”, “HelpNote002”, “HelpNote003” and so on and permit the notes to be inserted ...
(8) Immediately before the next HelpNote bookmark (which I think would make Ken happy)
(9) Immediately after the previous TOC
(10) As part of my Glossary
(11) Immediately before the next {INDEX}
(12) Immediately after the previous Header (well, why not? Who knows what the next Lounger, or their manager, will insist?)

And so on and on. Those twelve suggestions exceed the limited suggestions put forward by MSWord(2003)

Footnotes and Endnotes are just chunks of text, right? And the only question is “where does the user think the chunk of text will be most helpful?”, and since the User ought to be in charge, the user ought to be allowed to specify exactly where the chunk of text is placed.

Ken is well on his way :clapping: to writing a better solution to Foot/End/Help/Hint-notes than MSWord, IMHO!

I had a client who wanted footnotes within footnotes. I needed the money. Who was I to argue with him!

Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

StuartR wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 16:20
That workaround is probably the best your going to get. I guess the only alternative would be to put all the endnotes at the end of the document.
I thought as much because putting them all at the end is not an option for us. The document is a scientific report and it has a defined structure. The citations must appear at the end of the main body text. Thereafter comes the tables, then the figures and finally any appendices.

Thanks,

Ken

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

You can have the endnotes appear at the end of a section that isn't the last section of the document. The key to this is in this thread on answers.microsoft.com. For reasons known to no one but to Microsoft, the necessary check box is in the Layout dialog instead of the Footnotes/Endnotes dialog.
1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Thank you Jay, I have learned something new today
StuartR