Capelin (a.k.a. “Smelts”)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Capelin (a.k.a. “Smelts”)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Last June or July someone browsing my book bin offered to take me to the Capelin. Just shows how much you can learn by reading lots of books, eh?
I harvested two one-gallon tubs for free by standing ankle-deep in a bay of The Atlantic Ocean and obstructing capelin with a net as each wave ebbed out to sea.
Brought them home and wrapped them six or eight at a time in waxed paper and froze them “for later”, which turned out to be the 27th of November.
20211127_111713.jpg

Here are two packets of capelin, thawed in a meat tray and beheaded.
I save the heads and set them out on my bird table for my family of crows. Second Use For Everything!
20211127_111719.jpg
I squeeze out the bulk of the guts with subtle thumb pressure applied from a point about two inches back of the head towards where the head used to be.
20211127_150631.jpg
Here we go; a lovely lightly-fried feast of meat protein, harvested for free.
I think I will try to “smoke” dry them in the oven, but who knows how the kitchen will smell. Perhaps I should take my toaster oven out to the workshop and do them that way.
(Later) then I saw these videos from Way Out West:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAuvbpvmh-s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOVny-pwvVY

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Capelin (a.k.a. “Smelts”)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 13:35
Last June or July someone browsing my book bin offered to take me to the Capelin.
Untitled50.png
We fished in the bay just 2.5 Km from my home; I could get there on my push-bike.
We also saw capelin at a bay even closer.
(breathlessly)
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace