Control Panel System Image can't find backup drive?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Control Panel System Image can't find backup drive?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

20211108.png
The backup drive is a 500GB USB drive, and I have used it as recently as a month ago to make a system image for this Win10 laptop "Acer075"
First week of month, make a system image, right?
Last night after about a minute of "searching for backup drives" CP reported along the lines of "cannot find a backup drive", so I took a look at Management, Disk Management and there was a drive there, but unlettered.
So I called it "G" and tried a system image again. No luck.
Rebooted (maybe the letter "G" has to "take"), no luck.
That's when I looked at the contents of the USB drive (as shown above) and yes, it really was my image drive that sits in a specially marked envelope in my fire-retardant box.

Then I thought that maybe it was assigned "F" last time I used it, so i renamed it "F", rebooted, and tried again.
Still no luck.

I have the correct physical USB drive, no doubt about that, and my hand-written notes on the envelope confirm a backup on 2021/10/6, so that corresponds.

I hate to think that the drive letter matters. If I backup to drive F and then add an SSD that shunts letters one place to the right, then effectively I would have cut myself off from a system restore in the future.

I am not panicking yet, but would appreciate any suggestions as to what might have changed on my system since October 6th to cause what is Win7 System Image to baulk.

I should add that 168 GB is used, 301 GB is free, so plenty of space there for my drive C which is 41 GB used.

Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Control Panel System Image can't find backup drive?

Post by JoeP »

I recommend you not use the Windows 7 backup but choose a free version of a third-party app such as Macrium Reflect or Easus To-Do.
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 15:32
I recommend you not use the Windows 7 backup but choose a free version of a third-party app such as Macrium Reflect or Easus To-Do.
Hi Joe; I understand your recommendation, and I have used both Macrium and EaseUS in the past (years ago), but right now I am curious as to why something that is supplied as part of Win10 should suddenly stop working after about 15 months of operation.

IF my system crashed today, I ponder, will I be able to recover from one of these backups or is the USB drive hardware-corrupt?

Are you suggesting that Macrium or EaseUS will be able to locate and make use of earlier backups from that USB drive?

Thanks
Chris

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I am not suggesting that. Macrium and Easus will not process Windows backups AFAIK. Microsoft's inattention to backup leads me to not be surprised that it is flaky. I have had issues with File History not recognizing a drive it was using for many months. The drive was/is perfectly usable. I think there is a serious bug in the code to recognize USB drives used for Microsoft backups of any kind.
Joe

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Macrium and EaseUS make their money from backup software; Microsoft does not.
I know to which I would entrust my data backups
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 15:20
I am not suggesting that. Macrium and Easus will not process Windows backups AFAIK. Microsoft's inattention to backup leads me to not be surprised that it is flaky. I have had issues with File History not recognizing a drive it was using for many months. The drive was/is perfectly usable. I think there is a serious bug in the code to recognize USB drives used for Microsoft backups of any kind.
Thank you Joe; that is clear now.
so:-
(a) the backups on that USB drive are probably useless now; there is a chance that Win10/7 might one day wake up and recognize them, but chances are not what I want when it comes to System Image restorations.
(b) I confess that although I have made system images on a regular basis in the past, I have had little reason to use them for an Image restore.

I made a Macrium Reflect image to that USB drive last night.
I will try doing another one tonight, and then try to reload that second image.

For most of my Windows Life I have been trapped between 3rd-party stuff (which I love) and basic Windows. So many corporate clients are leery of 3rd-party that I have tried always to make sure I know how to "do it in Windows", no matter that 3rd party is, I believe, usually much better.
Especially when it comes recommended by members of Eileen's Lounge.

Thanks again
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 20:29
Macrium and EaseUS make their money from backup software; Microsoft does not.
I know to which I would entrust my data backups
Thank you, John.
Your impeccable logic makes complete sense.
As usual.
:thankyou:
Cheers
Chris