WuMgr Update Manager for Windows 10

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

From the description this seems like a wonderful tool, everything to absolutely blocking all Windows Upadtes for ever and the ability to have Windows updates installed unattended in real time as they become available.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has taken WUMgr for a spin.
Thanks
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: WuMgr Update Manager for Windows 10

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 16:23
From the description this seems like a wonderful tool, everything to absolutely blocking all Windows Upadtes for ever and the ability to have Windows updates installed unattended in real time as they become available.

Thanks
Chris
Never tried it, never will. What's the point of trying to emulate King Canute? Windows updates are a fact of life, get over it. If you don't want them to land on your PC the instant MS releases them, use the native built-in official MS 'Pause Updates' feature to, err, pause their deployment to a date of your choosing.

However, you've got Win 10 Pro haven't you? So you can use the Group Policy Editor to defer updates. I set a deferral of 21 days as more or less the first thing I did with Win 10. That was back in Dec 2017. Ever since then updates have landed on my PC 21 days after the second Tuesday of the month and then I get a notification that a restart is required. I invariably restart straight away but I don't have to. The whole thing is painless.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 17:37
ChrisGreaves wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 16:23
Never tried it, never will. What's the point of trying to emulate King Canute?
Hi Ken; as an aside, I have great respect for King Cnut. As I understand it he was not trying to stem the tide, but was demonstrating to his fawning courtiers that he could NOT stem the tide!
Windows updates are a fact of life, get over it. If you don't want them to land on your PC the instant MS releases them, use the native built-in official MS 'Pause Updates' feature to, err, pause their deployment to a date of your choosing.
I agree; Windows Updates are a fact of life, as is the fact that, as a programmer, I want a stable platform. That requirement of a stable platform extends to my continued use of VBA for string-handling applications as much as it does to worrying that an update to the O/S will introduce some wobble to a DLL or similar that some of my code depends on. And no, I have not isolated any specific culprit. I would think that 99% of the bugs are caused by me. But I have a long-time fear of changes in an o/s (machine OR human-based!) causing wobbles in a project.

:ranton: I have been using the 'Pause Updates' feature for a year, and while it works, it is a boring and repetitive task that I am asked to perform each month. And from the get-go I have thought of a computer as a means to be rid of boring and repetitive tasks. Earlier versions of Windows allowed me to ask for "No Updates", so Win10 is just another step along the road to MS making my PC their property, rather than mine. (I am probably sounding like a libertarian right now!)

In this admittedly weak sense, another small part of my life is taken over doing a task that MS wants me to do, rather than me being in control of my time.
However, you've got Win 10 Pro haven't you? So you can use the Group Policy Editor to defer updates.
yes; Win10Pro it is. I have looked at the Group Policy Editor a couple of times and find it somewhat incomprehensible. GPE is not the sort of place you can go to and find a simple Boolean switch to say "NO" to updates. When I want to do something that was an easy-to-find Boolean switch in earlier versions of Win10, I am confronted with two main sections, both of which have "Windows Updates", the first of which has a loooong list of switches
Untitled.png
which I must wade through to get myself back to where I was a year ago, I resent being forced to leap hurdles so that I can claim some control over my life.

We didn't have this trouble back in the 80s, of course, because a PC was a PC back then, not a remote terminal to a massive interlocked computer network. The internet means that the days are gone when I could install stuff from floppy disks and live in splendid isolation.
The whole thing is painless.
Not! Anything that forces me to work to do something I don't really want to do, comes at a cost, in time if nothing else. I have labored this point too long, Time spent learning to conform to MS's idea of The World is time that can not be spent doing something I would rather do.
:rantoff:

Back to WUMgr. From what I can see, WUMgr offers a comparatively easy interface to the business of saying :stop: to Updates, whatever one's reason for wanting to do so. WUMgr appears to be a small dedicated task that guides the user (me!) through the process without having to become an expert in another MS tool. It is (supposed to be - I haven't tried it) a good user interface. Rather like hailing a taxi instead of having to learn to drive a car.

This month seems like a good time to block Windows; another thread in this forum suggests that when Win11 is shoved down my throat it will not improve my life; there is no great feature of Win11 that affects me (that I can see so far), only cosmetic changes, games of “hide the thimble” and (so help me) empty context menus! Every one of them time-wasters as I adjust to a changed interface.

It can be argued that I should embrace updates because they include security (as in internet-based) against attacks. That is a good argument. I am all in favour of defiance against attacks. But that is an entire class of updates and ought to be an argument for isolating the security aspect (of an insecure system!) away from cute buttons etc.

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 09:38
...I have been using the 'Pause Updates' feature for a year, and while it works, it is a boring and repetitive task that I am asked to perform each month...
But you've got Win 10 Pro have you not? So use the group policy editor. As I said I did that once back in 2017 and never had to think about Win 10 updates ever again.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 13:34
But you've got Win 10 Pro have you not? So use the group policy editor. As I said I did that once back in 2017 and never had to think about Win 10 updates ever again.
Hi Ken.
Yes, Win10Pro:=
Untitled.png
I found Group Policy Editor to be intimidating - another huge mass of data that seemed fine for network administrators with hundreds of users, but I just wanted to flip a single switch on a private laptop. My perception may have been flawed, but every new complex utility is seen by me as another learning hurdle, consuming time that I would rather spend somewhere else.

Windows Update is a perfect example of this: In Win7 I could flip a switch; now I have to wade through GPE.
The Registry (Win98? XP?) was similar. Now we have to click forever on the warning dialogues instead of using Notepad to edit a one-screen (usually) INI file.

When I am faced with something as massive and all-encompassing as Group Policy Editor I fear that I will change something I did not ought to, and corrupt my system, but with a simpler, narrow-focus tool I reason that a trail of destruction is limited in scope.

I know that at times I sound like petulant stick-in-the-mud, childish, but a great deal of time is spent mastering each successive wave of new operating system tricks when I really just want to get on with - programming.
It feels like i am back in the seventies where each white-jacketed computer operator had to be re-trained every six months, when all we wanted was someone to feed our job decks into the card-hopper.

Back to WUMgr
:
I followed the instructions in the one-page (!!) PDF manual, brought in every update, which consumed two passes/reboots and about two hours, and then turned off the switches as advised by WUMgr. The screenshot above shows I am Win10 19042, whatever that means. I expect it to stay like that, week after week until the end of the year, if i feel like it.
In particular I expect it NOT to change to Win11.

I live in two worlds: Bonavista where those who know me stand in awe of my knowledge of the computer universe, and Eileen's Lounge where I KNOW that I am outclassed in knowledge.
This produces some sort of cognitive dissonance because I know i am clever enough to do all the things you really clever guys want me to master, but I just want to finish up on the computer and get back to installing my wind-turbine (or carting garden debris to the compost pit, or lopping trees of whatever).

I say this to let you (all) know that I always enjoy the advice, but sometimes I just want to hit the machine with a stick to knock some sense into it!

I found WUMgr easy to understand.

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

The GPE is not that scary.

Start to type ‘group’ and by the time you get to ‘grou’, the top option should be ‘Edit group policy’:
Clipboard01.jpg
Click on that option and the GPE opens, probably as a stupidly small window so maximise it and make the left-hand pane a lot wider. Then, in the left-hand pane, expand ‘Computer Configuration’ and then ‘Administrative Templates’ and in there, select ‘Windows Components’:
Clipboard02.jpg
When you then expand ‘Windows Components’ list of options is very long but when you eventually reach the bottom, you’ll find the penultimate option is ‘Windows Updates’ and when you expand that you’ll find just one option, ‘Windows Updates for Business’:
Clipboard03.jpg
to be continued...
Last edited by stuck on 11 Oct 2021, 17:50, edited 3 times in total.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Now in the right-hand pane, double click on the second option, ‘Select when Quality Updates are received’. In the dialog that appears, select ‘Enabled’, enter the number of days you wish to defer the arrival of the monthly updates and click ‘OK’:
Clipboard04.jpg
You’re done but before you close the GPE, also look at the first option ‘Select when Preview Builds and Feature Updates are received’:
Clipboard05.jpg
This one defers the arrival of the next incarnation of Win 10. I’ve set a long deferral of 240 days, meaning my system is never on the most recent hot-off-the-press version of Win 10. Currently I’m on Win 10 20H2 and I’m not expecting 21H1 to land on my machine until the middle of Jan 2022:
Clipboard06.jpg
to be continued...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

There is a third policy you might want to set, the last one, ‘Select the target Feature Update version’. I’ve not bothered with this but Susan Bradley over at Askwoody.com thinks it’s wonderful, see here:
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... tting.html

Hope this helps,

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 17:43
The GPE is not that scary.
Hello again, Ken (rhymes!)
Your explanation is excellent as in NOT scary. I followed it through yesterday.

I maintain that the GPE ***IS*** scary from a naive user's point of view. And I use "scary" because you and i know what we understand by that. I use "naive" because I am naive. Intelligent, experienced and educated yes, but ignorant when it comes to knowing how to block Win10 from converting into Win11 NOT in the immediate future, but until I am ready for it.

Win7 allowed me to flip a switch after a search in Control Panel for "Updates"
Win10 forces me into GPE where there is no search box that I could find.
So people like me ("Intelligent, experienced and educated yes, but ignorant ...") rely on technical forums to learn a new skill that yesterday was as easy as flipping a switch to OFF, which is what I want to do.

Practice makes perfect, so before typing this up i went back through your steps again, and here I am at a (to me) confusing screen full of (to me) babble. I see something called "Configure Automatic Updates" that is Disabled, and guess that that is the result of my use of WUMgr two days ago, but this more-than-a-screen full of terminology is nowhere near as easy to accept or understand as (I am too lazy to fire up a Win7 laptop right now) a simple "Turn of Windows Updates" switch; another example of MS changing words and phrases to depreciate our earlier knowledge.

Without Eileen's Lounge and "Stuck", ***I**** would be stuck! OK, there was Older Geeks or AskWoody who alerted me to WUMgr, but MS's excitement at adding tail fins causes people like me to go away from MS to find answers to the problems that MS has caused.

I really ought to be working on the data-mining project, so I am going to close now.
I offer you The Last Word, because I don't want to consume anymore of your time.
I suspect that the GPE is indeed a powerful tool that deals with an operating system that grows more complex day by day. Were I still in the training business I would spend a week getting the basics, two days designing a course, and then try to flog it around Toronto!

Cheers
And make no mistake about this: I do appreciate your knowledge and time spent. :thankyou:
Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If I understand you correctly:
- You looked at my instructions and managed to find and enable the policies I'm talking about.
- You then went back and looked again and came across a lot of babble in the 'Windows Update' folder, which is the level above 'Windows Update for Business'.
- In there, you noticed a policy called 'Configure Automatic Updates' has been set to 'Disabled'.
- You think that might be because you were experimenting with WuMgr.

I've no idea why that's set like that on your machine, on mine it is 'Not configured'. However, having looked at that policy it appears to be redundant in your / my case because the 'Supported on' field says:
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 or At least Windows 2000 Service Pack 3
    Option 7 only supported on servers of at least Windows Server 2016 edition​
In other words, having it 'Disabled' on your (non Server) Win 10 machine will have no effect and is no different to me having it 'Not configured'.

Does this help?

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 18:41
If I understand you correctly:
- You looked at my instructions and managed to find and enable the policies I'm talking about.
- You then went back and looked again and came across a lot of babble in the 'Windows Update' folder, which is the level above 'Windows Update for Business'.
- In there, you noticed a policy called 'Configure Automatic Updates' has been set to 'Disabled'.
- You think that might be because you were experimenting with WuMgr.
I've no idea why that's set like that on your machine, on mine it is 'Not configured'. However, having looked at that policy it appears to be redundant in your / my case because the 'Supported on' field says:
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 or At least Windows 2000 Service Pack 3
    Option 7 only supported on servers of at least Windows Server 2016 edition​
In other words, having it 'Disabled' on your (non Server) Win 10 machine will have no effect and is no different to me having it 'Not configured'.
Does this help?
Not really. (And in typing that I have probably lost a friend for life ....(grin))

Your dashed points are correct but for one point: because I had set up WUMgr and wanted to see if that had worked, To my mind that could mean waiting 35+(days) and then reinspecting the system status, I did NOT make your changes, but went in there as read-only. That was my thinking behind making a snapshot of the system status and preserving it in Eileen's Lounge.

In the second part of your points, i understand that 'Configure Automatic Updates' does not apply to my machine. I now suppose that that setting is "Disabled" because Win10 is smart enough to see that it is a pointless item.
Or perhaps WUMgr set it that way and WUMgr doesn't realise that the setting does not apply to my machine.

For me, the bottom line remains that Win10/GPE is far too complex a beast for someone like me ("naive. Intelligent, experienced and educated") to want to bother with when all I really want to do is "stop Windows Updating itself until I say so".
Now that you have pointed it out, being able to roll up to "a long deferral of 240 days" would have worked for me a week ago, back when I was considering the delayed date which for the average user is limited to 35(?) days and must be renewed monthly. I could set a reminder in my Calendar for 9th June next year and sleep easy at night.

I am not alarmed or disturbed at the amount of time you and i have spent on this one issue, because we are our own masters, or think that we are. But from time to time I consider writing up an estimate of how many man-hours are spent trying to solve MS Windows and applications problems across the globe. As humans we are spending far too much time working for the computer, when the computer should be working for us!

With, to be sure, all my respect :thankyou:
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 10:49
... I am Win10 19042, whatever that means. I expect it to stay like that, week after week until the end of the year, if i feel like it.
In particular I expect it NOT to change to Win11.
I powered on the laptop this morning and was greeted with this familar screen, which makes me think that Win10 has done some updationg behind my back; or at least downloaded some new stuff::-
IMG_20211021_040431709.jpg
So I did a quick check of System/Version and it seems to be unchanged:-
Untitled.png
Although it may be unchanged because this morning I chose "Remind me later" (bottom-left corner of the screen).
Everything looks and feels the same.
But it is this sort of behaviour - Windows leaping from behind a bush and declaring "Everything is alright; there's nothing to worry about" that starts me worrying.
Untitled2.png
WUMgr suggests that the latest updates were 12 days ago on October 10th; the day I turned WUMgr loose and said "OK, let's update everything and then close the door".
It is possible that the "Let's finish setting up your device" prompt surfaced because the lhe previous time it popped up - perhaps a month ago - I chose "Remind me later", and that is what it is doing now.

Cheers
Chriis

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

What does your system report when you do a Run Winver?

Mine is 21h1 build 19043.1288

So it appears that you never restated since last month?
Do you have this machine set to go to , sleep, hibernate or suspend in stead of shutting down?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 15:07
What does your system report when you do a Run Winver?
(attached; I did not know about the WinVer command. Interesting. I could splice that into my boot sequence for the next few weeks ...
Thanks Dave!
Mine is 21h1 build 19043.1288
So it seems that I picked up the September 30 updates but nothing since then.
Which is how I want to be right now. Stable (although living more dangerously day by day :grin: )
So it appears that you never restated since last month?
I restart first thing each morning (power on the machine), and depending on Win10's mood, during the day one or two times.
Do you have this machine set to go to , sleep, hibernate or suspend in stead of shutting down?
I found out a year ago that I can sleep and hibernate, I believe that is so. I cannot turn off the display.
I leave the machine on from the time I power-up (2am, 4am, 8am, whenever) until I am done for the day (typically 8pm).

I don't need to power off/on to run my AutoExec.bat file, but power off/on is what I choose to do. The first boot of the day throws up my calendar, mailbox, news-feeds, and a few other daily tasks.

Cheers
Chris

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

What are your settings in this Pane?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 00:40
What are your settings in this Pane?
1.png
Hi Dave.
All three drop-downs are empty. Options available:-
Power: Do Nothing, Hibernate, Shut Down, Turn Off Display (surprised me right now!)
Sleep: Do Nothing, Hibernate, Shut Down (maybe that’s what I was remembering from this thread)
Close: Do Nothing, Hibernate, Shut Down Turn Off Display
Turn on fast startup (ON)
Hibernate (OFF) show in power menu
Lock (ON) show in account picture menu

When I close the lid, power or battery, the machine stays on. I am (this morning) puzzled because I thought that I had these all set, and when I fired up the settings page expected to see settings, made when I installed the system fifteen months ago.
In my increasingly distrustful mind I find myself thinking that an earlier Windows Update has changed something behind my back.

Right now i am on a project of web scraping, and my past experience with all long jobs, whether tests running during the day or production runs running all night, is that some of the various power options have the ability to suspend my Word2003/VBA applications after the typical 4-hours. So when that happens I disable everything I can. Perhaps I did that on a job six months ago, although I am mightily puzzled that those option drop-downs are blank, rather then set to a value "Do Nothing"
I shall Do Nothing until I hear from you (grin), not that I feel anything needs to be done right now.

Cheers
Chris

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I think the default is that when pressing the power button, that it goes to sleep, NOT power OFF.

Also note: "Brandon LeBlanc is announcing that Windows 10 21H2 will be out in November of 2021. Just in time for American Thanksgiving."
And you have 20H2 installed not 21H1

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

As Dave has correctly noted Chris, the "fast startup" option does NOT completely shut down the computer.
A "Restart" on the other hand, DOES do a complete shutdown and a complete fresh startup (including any pending updates that are waiting update the system). Many of the knowledgeable sages in this forum advise against the "fast startup" setting. It may take several seconds longer to shutdown and to boot, but the "non-fast-startup" is safer method.
How-to Geek has a very good article on the details and the pros and cons of Windows "fast startup" mode.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 15:07
I think the default is that when pressing the power button, that it goes to sleep, NOT power OFF.
Ah Dave.
I never use the PowerOff button.
On all my machines I have BATch file to shutdown:

Code: Select all

-REM C:\BATLap\ShutDown.bat
REM Monday, September 17, 2007
:: 7:46 AM 6/24/2009 Included a call to spybot
:: 8:39 PM 09/03/2021 removed -f parameter
:: 8:39 PM 09/03/2021 call to BillT.bat
if "%debug%"=="" set debug=off
		@echo %debug%
		call T:\BatLap\BillT.bat
		ShutDown.exe -s -t 00
REM end of C:\BATLap\ShutDown.bat
Depending on the state of my life, I have the ShutDown.bat perform wrapup tasks.
Right now I am keeping track of my hours on a project, so shutdown.bat invokes the Notepad file with ".LOG" in the header to make sure that I log off the client's meter!
In the past I programmed my life in this batch file "Have you done your backup? Brushed your teeth? ..."
Also note: "Brandon LeBlanc is announcing that Windows 10 21H2 will be out in November of 2021. Just in time for American Thanksgiving."
And you have 20H2 installed not 21H1
I didn't notice that.
Here is another puzzlement: I had thought that when I turned WUMgr loose and said "Updates are free; get me every one that exists" I would be as up to date as a cheap laptop can be.
yet "20H2" looks suspiciously as if it is a 2020 system rather than this year's.

Lucky for me that when I am on the job., I don't care what version (of anything) I am using is, as long as it doesn't change!

I looked up Brandon LeBlanc on the web; He watches movies? He can't be a real nerd if he has time for that. :sourgrapes:

Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rebel wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 16:45
As Dave has correctly noted Chris, the "fast startup" option does NOT completely shut down the computer.
A "Restart" on the other hand, DOES do a complete shutdown and a complete fresh startup (including any pending updates that are waiting update the system). Many of the knowledgeable sages in this forum advise against the "fast startup" setting. It may take several seconds longer to shutdown and to boot, but the "non-fast-startup" is safer method.
2.png
I remember this conversation from last year.
I can't remember whether I disabled faststartor not.
Whatever. I have turned it off. I don't need fast start.
First thing in the morning I power on the laptop then head off to make coffee, read the meter, stare at the moon (this week only) etc.
Cheers
Chris