Long Exposure camera software on Android smart phone

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Re: Long Exposure camera software on Android smart phone

Post by Graeme »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 20:12
I did not realize that Orion "went around the earth", but this must mean that every other constellation/star does the same thing, right? because to us, every other star is, in a sense, indistinguishable from Orion, in terms of position. It's just "Not here".

Yeah, lots or "apparent" and "actual" in astronomy because most of what looks like is happening is not how it actually is. Eg. Vega and Deneb have the same apparent brightness even though Deneb is 1000s times brighter but much further away. So all the constellations on or near the zodiac appear to go round us each year but they don't. Each night as we look out into space the Earth has moved in its orbit around the Sun a bit more (anticlockwise, looking from above the plane of the solar system) So everything appears to drift Westwards. In August the Sun gets in the way and we cant see Orion. Again, I expect you know the basics of planetary motion but I just love banging on about this stuff!

stuck wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 07:59
Graeme wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 20:33
...Deep Sky Stacker (for free!) and stack them...
I've not looked into this so I'll do it the lazy way and just ask you. Is it clever enough to align the frames, i.e. not need a motorised mount on the tripod to ensure the camera tracks the night sky?

It's worth a try! Trouble is if you don't track the sky on an equatorial mount then your series of tripod captured frames will suffer from field rotation caused by the tilt of the axis of the Earth with respect to the plane of its orbit. Deep Sky Stacker might be able to sort it. I'm not sure.

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

One thing I learnt listening to BBC Radio 4 - The Infinite Monkey Cage, Series 22, The End of the Universe is that the universe is expanding, and everything is getting further away. I assume that that movement is just a tad too slow to need to be taken into account when taking photographs? :grin:
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Doppler.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

:laugh: - exactly!
Leif

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Ah, Hubble's "constant". They are still measuring.

https://xkcd.com/2516/

Wonder if it was something we did, everyone is moving away from us, and at quite some pace to be honest.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Graeme wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 13:45
....field rotation... ...Deep Sky Stacker might be able to sort it. I'm not sure.
Having finally done what I was too lazy to do when I posed the question, i.e. searched the web, it seems DSS can cope with field rotation.

Ken

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Leif wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 14:08
One thing I learnt listening to BBC Radio 4 - The Infinite Monkey Cage, Series 22, The End of the Universe is that the universe is expanding, and everything is getting further away. I assume that that movement is just a tad too slow to need to be taken into account when taking photographs? :grin:

Everything that's not gravitationally attracted, like the Andromeda galaxy, which is blue shifted as it is heading towards us at a fair old rate.

stuck wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 17:57
Graeme wrote:
....field rotation... ...Deep Sky Stacker might be able to sort it. I'm not sure.
Having finally done what I was too lazy to do when I posed the question, i.e. searched the web, it seems DSS can cope with field rotation.

Ken

:thumbup:

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Graeme wrote:
... Each night as we look out into space the Earth has moved in its orbit around the Sun a bit more (anticlockwise, looking from above the plane of the solar system) So everything appears to drift Westwards.
Graeme, thanks for this. It is great phrasing. I already accepted that "things change throughout the year", but now if I think of "the dark side of The Earth", then I can visualize that dark side sweeping a beam (of darkness) out into The Galaxy, always radially away from The Sun, and advancing one degree at a time each night. Like a search-light, but a search-light that "absorbs" sunlight, allowing us to see the stars of the galaxy. If it were a searchlight of real light and the stars were trees, we would, in the course of a year, see all the trees that surround us (Sun+Earth) at our position in the galaxy/forest of trees.

Cheers
Chris
P.S. the full moon now sheds far to much light to make Orion's details visible on our cloudless nights. They Should Do Something About It.
C
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace