Outlook 2010 'international characters'

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Outlook 2010 'international characters'

Post by John Gray »

Just for interest:
It doesn't seem possible to set up an accented character in the Subject field of an email via the usual keyboard shortcut, whereas it can be done in the body of the email*.
For example: Ctrl+`, e gives è

Does this apply also in newer versions of Office, such as 365 and 2019?

How would one achieve the objective in Outlook, other than by creating the character in Word (say) and cutting and pasting it, or looking up the "Alt+NumPad" value of the required character?

* you can't use Ctrl+`, e on this BBS, either!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Outlook 2010 'international characters'

Post by HansV »

Keyboard shortcuts such as Ctrl+`, e are a feature of Microsoft Word, not of Microsoft Office or Windows. So they don't work in Excel or PowerPoint, for example, nor in phpBB3 (our forum platform).
Since Outlook uses Word as email editor, these keyboard shortcuts also work when you compose an email.
And in Outlook 2019, they work in the Subject box as well.

You'll have to use one of the methods that you mention, or the Character Map accessory that comes with Windows. It lets you select one or more characters, then copy them to the Clipboard.

S0738.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Those shortcuts works in the subject line in Outlook 365 for me, with a couple of strange exceptions.

If I type control-apostrophe, e in the body of an email then I get é, but in the subject line it gives è
If I type control `, e in the body of an email then I get è but in the subject it just gives me a plain e
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Or set your keyboard to United States-International :evilgrin:

The ` ~ ^ " and ' keys will act as "dead keys" that will be combined with the next character that you type, if possible.
So " followed by u will become ü and ' followed by e will become é. But " followed by F will become "F since F with a diaeresis (umlaut) is not an existing character.

I find it annoying, but some people I know swear by it.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks very much, Hans and Stuart!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

HansV wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 08:02
Or set your keyboard to United States-International :evilgrin:

The ` ~ ^ " and ' keys will act as "dead keys" that will be combined with the next character that you type, if possible.
So " followed by u will become ü and ' followed by e will become é. But " followed by F will become "F since F with a diaeresis (umlaut) is not an existing character.

I find it annoying, but some people I know swear by it.
Here ´`, i.e. acute and grave accents, are dead keys, or rather, one dead key key; Shift for grave. I'm quite happy with that since acute accent is quite common.
Edit to add:
Well ¨ (trema/umlaut) is also a dead key here (¨/Shift: ^/Ctrl: ~), and works as Hans described, but since we already have dedicated keys for åäö, we don't need it unless we invent some fancy brand name with it sprinklëd äll över.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.