Pinning folder to Task Bar

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Pinning folder to Task Bar

Post by Dave Davison »

Have managed many moons ago to pin stuff to the task bar but trying to do so with a folder for e.g. Download Helper is proving irksome. I have a shortcut icon on the desktop for the said folder but want to pin it to the Task Bar. If I click on the folder on the Start menu [Screen shot i ] as expected, it displays the contents BUT if I drag the said folder to the Taskbar then click on it [SS ii] is displayed. (not what I want.) I have watched a couple of tutorials on YT without success. Must be missing something, what might it be please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Pinning folder to Task Bar

Post by BobH »

I can't tell what might have invoked the drop down menu containing the folder you want to pin to the task bar; so I don't know if there is an issue with the way the folder display is invoked.

For most things, if you simply select them (as in highlight them with the cursor) then right click, you get an option to Pin to Task Bar. Give it a try and let us know your results.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Bob..........highlighted the said folder, right clicked it BUT there is no option to "Pin to taskbar" in the drop down menu ?????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Dave Davison wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 18:55
Thanks Bob..........highlighted the said folder, right clicked it BUT there is no option to "Pin to taskbar" in the drop down menu ?????
What you show is not a folder on the Desktop, but a link to a folder.

Folders are the exception when it comes to pinning items to the Taskbar. Since Windows has its file manager File Explorer underneath everything and it is also usually pinned to the Taskbar, links tend to end up in its jump list.

One has to create a new instance of File Explorer on the Taskbar sort of.
A simple search for: pin folder taskbar, will give you plenty of results. Here is one.
https://www.howtogeek.com/281048/how-to ... s-taskbar/
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Dave Davison wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 18:55
What Argus said.
Plus, in case it helps to get you started:-
Untitled.png
When I open File Explorer, I most usually want to go to a folder "T:\Maint\" where are stored shortcuts to my most commonly used 3rd-party applications. I dislike my desktop (screen) being cluttered up with icons.

This shortcut commands File Explorer to open up inside the folder "T:\Maint\"
I click (left-click) on this shortcut, pinned to my taskbar, and am taken to the folder T:\Maint

This summary of Explorer command line switches might be of use, too. It explains my /e switch.

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 18 Jul 2021, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

As ever, thanks for the feed back, Argos.....I was aware that the icon indicated on my desktop is a shortcut [which I perceived could be a factor in my issue] but had tried clicking on the actual folder with no success hence the reason for posting. I followed the directions in the link you gave -so easy- BUT when I dragged the created icon from the desktop to the taskbar it merely opens the self same "libraries" page to the screen which does show the folder in question which obviously must be double clicked to open. Back to where I started from. :scratch: :scratch:

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Dave Davison wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:16
I followed the directions in the link you gave -so easy- BUT when I dragged the created icon from the desktop to the taskbar it merely opens the self same "libraries" page to the screen which does show the folder in question which obviously must be double clicked to open.
(I could have sworn that I replied to something similar at some point, so before my reply above I did a search, the question is not that uncommon, but it seems I didn't, not in this lounge at least.)

I assume you followed the easy route starting the “Create Shortcut” wizard from the Desktop (it's easier to get the wizard started; one doesn't get confused with other folders; finding the newly created shortcut etc.). Did you drag and drop the shortcut on an empty space on the Taskbar? I can't do anything but repeat myself.

You could try the following, as a test, if you have other already created shortcuts to folders on your Desktop:
- Right-click the shortcut and select Properties.
- On the Shortcut tab of the dialog box, that should be seen now, enter "explorer ", that is explorer and a space, in front of the target address in the box labelled Target.
- Click OK to close the dialog (or simply press Enter).

You should now be able to drag the shortcut to the Taskbar and drop it in an empty space to pin the folder on the Taskbar.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Sure appreciate your patience and whilst the desired task would not make a massive difference to my activities [simply eliminate a double click on the folder icon on the desktop before attempting to download some video] it is one of those trivial hurdles I hate to bypass. Went through the steps again, named the shortcut folder "Latest Downloads" and dragged it to a vacant area on the taskbar and for the time being it has stayed pinned there and does open the desired folder. Will see what actually opens the next time I boot up. As we sometimes say in the UK after struggling with some issue. "Cooking with gas", meaning problem solved. Hopefully; permenant. THANX

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

After seeing the folder in question successfully pinned to the taskbar and logging of I am chuffed to report that -again, thanks to this second to none forum and the help freely provided - it is still there when I boot up. Thanks a bunch.