Re: Number Of Spreadsheets in an Excel workbook

Post by Argus »

hlewton wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 12:40
HansV wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 15:27
Leif wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 15:02
I'm just wondering if we should change the subject(s) in this thread to "Number Of Worksheets in an Excel workbook" so that it can be found by future generations...?
Done for the first post in the thread. Hopefully, that'll be sufficient.
It's no wonder I have not been getting email notifications. I was wondering why. Am I correct in assuming that changing the title caused that? if so, how do I re-subscribe so I get the email notifications again?
The main reason is that you will only get one e-mail notification for each topic until you visit the lounge again.* It can happen that several people have replied to a thread after the notification was sent.

Also, it's the first post that's got its subject changed; you've got replies after that I assume.

(The odd consequence of that is that you get e-mail notifications for every reply during your visit; something that's not needed since the forum software nowadays has all kind of different ways of signalling new replies, including online notifications.)

* In rare occasion you get two, for the same thread. I thought it was weird at first, another anomaly; but I think it has to do with another option: getting notifications when someone quotes you and some people use that more frequently, i.e. they reply to you, to other, then they quote you in a third etc.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

hlewton wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 12:40
HansV wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 15:27
Leif wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 15:02
I'm just wondering if we should change the subject(s) in this thread to "Number Of Worksheets in an Excel workbook" so that it can be found by future generations...?
Done for the first post in the thread. Hopefully, that'll be sufficient.
It's no wonder I have not been getting email notifications. I was wondering why. Am I correct in assuming that changing the title caused that? if so, how do I re-subscribe so I get the email notifications again?
yabbut!
You are, by definition, not a "future generation" :evilgrin:
Cheers
Chris
P.S. Did you get an email notification of THIS post? C
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 13:43
yabbut!
:hello: Chris you are certainly future and up-and-coming; using the latest tech. :smile: You are among those from which I get more than one email notification for their replies and quotes in the same thread. :grin:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 14:16
... I get more than one email notification for their replies and quotes in the same thread. :grin:
I think that the semantically-correct terminology is "edit-after-submit" (Mea Culpa)
Cheers
Chris

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Argus wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 13:02

The main reason is that you will only get one e-mail notification for each topic until you visit the lounge again.* It can happen that several people have replied to a thread after the notification was sent.

Also, it's the first post that's got its subject changed; you've got replies after that I assume.

(The odd consequence of that is that you get e-mail notifications for every reply during your visit; something that's not needed since the forum software nowadays has all kind of different ways of signalling new replies, including online notifications.)

* In rare occasion you get two, for the same thread. I thought it was weird at first, another anomaly; but I think it has to do with another option: getting notifications when someone quotes you and some people use that more frequently, i.e. they reply to you, to other, then they quote you in a third etc.
I did know that I only get 1 email notification until I visit the lounge. I have not gotten any notification since July 12, 2021 and then I made the comment pasted below. Since then, until today I got nothing.
hlewton wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 14:11
WOW, very interesting with my limited understanding of what I just read.

ChrisGreaves wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 13:43

yabbut!
Cheers
Chris
P.S. Did you get an email notification of THIS post? C
I don’t think so because, as stated above, I only get 1 notification until I visit the lounge again and there were other posts before yours.

Thanks to all for the replies.
Regards,
hlewton

rory
5StarLounger

Re: Number Of Worksheets in an Excel workbook

Post by rory »

6047 and counting... (M365 64bit.)
Regards,
Rory

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 14:52
Argus wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 14:16
... I get more than one email notification for their replies and quotes in the same thread. :grin:
I think that the semantically-correct terminology is "edit-after-submit" (Mea Culpa)
Oh, perhaps the only upside of not including the replies in the email notifications. :grin: (Still, it would be very nice if they did; and didn't send emails when you're actually are in the lounge. :doh:)

Eh, I'm not so sure, Chris; in the thread Euro 2020 I got two notifications 10 July, 12:40 & 12:41 local time (10:40/10:41 UTC). No edits there, I think. Perhaps the system simply sent another notification for your next reply to Geoff. But your reply to me includes two quotes, sort of. (I know I wasn't logged in at the time.) I've seen something similar earlier but can't remember when. (And the brain is in repair mode after several hours in online meetings, during heat wave.)
rory wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 15:11
How's life in the future? :hailpraise: :starstruck:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It makes sense that the 64-bit version of Excel would have a higher limit.
Best wishes,
Hans

rory
5StarLounger

Post by rory »

Argus wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 15:22
How's life in the future? :hailpraise: :starstruck:
Getting steadily more exciting! 6182 now.
Regards,
Rory

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I have to ask, and it is too late for me to experiment. When I create a post, I copy the title along with its link to this lounge and keep all of my threads in a spreadsheet. I use this for future use to search and make sure if I need to create a new thread or add to one of mine that already exists. When I saw the title change in the thread, I copied it and pasted it over the title it had been in my spreadsheet. So, I cannot experiment since I already pasted the new title. My question is, if any other of the threads I created have a title change, and I may not be aware of, will clicking of the link I originally pasted into my spreadsheet still take me to the thread?
Regards,
hlewton

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 14:52
Nope, I have not checked the box for email notifications when someone quotes me.* Sorry everyone. So you are probably correct, Chris; sorry for exposing your edits :laugh: and Mea Culpa to admins for straying of topic sort of, but it was the OP who brought up the issue. :smile:

* On the other hand, I do have the box checked for email notifications for PMs ... But I haven't got a single email about my PMs for a long time, and rechecked the other day; so there you go, emails could be sent, or maybe not.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

rory wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 15:11
Hi Rory; if it's not a rude question (or answer!), why is it taking so long?
If you are issuing a Workbook.Save after every added worksheet, disabling that Save, might deliver your maximum within about five minutes or so :scratch:
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

hlewton wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 15:09
... I don’t think so because, as stated above, I only get 1 notification until I visit the lounge again and there were other posts before yours.
At my age I am getting confused following this off-topic thread which you have spawned within your original thread (VERY evil grin!). :laugh: :rofl:

I have assumed that for this (or any other BBS/Lounge) that I really want only one email notification between visits.
If I visit a Lounge on Monday, and not again until Friday, I want just one notification per thread during that interval. In particular I do NOT want an email notification for every new post or reply in a single thread.

Now different software, and different Lounges using the same software, can all have different configurations.Here is part of a menu screen for a Lounge.
Untitled.png
Note the first and third arrowed entries, "New posts in the last day" and "New Posts last day".
Now what do you suppose is the difference between these two, apart from the fact that an Administrator has suggested that I use the latter and not the former. ("Why?!!???")

I can see that someone else might want to have an email notification for every post/reply in a thread; a barrage of email notifications for the one thread would indicate a flurry of activity which, presumably, would be of interest to someone. Not, perhaps, to me.

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 16:57
Now what do you suppose is the difference between these two...
Why don't you open both in new tabs/windows and compare them? I can't wait to find out... :laugh:
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
hlewton wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 15:09
At my age I am getting confused following this off-topic thread which you have spawned within your original thread (VERY evil grin!). :laugh: :rofl:

Cheers
Chris
Now I'm confused. Do you mean I "spawned" the thread or that I "spawned" it going off topic? Not sure the latter could be true because, for the most part, I haven't the slightest idea what is going on. :laugh:
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

hlewton wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 15:35
My question is, if any other of the threads I created have a title change, and I may not be aware of, will clicking of the link I originally pasted into my spreadsheet still take me to the thread?
The link will still work. The URL of each thread in the Lounge has a unique topic number that never changes, even if the subject/title of the thread changes. Your link contains this unique topic number.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 17:07
ChrisGreaves wrote:
Now what do you suppose is the difference between these two...
Why don't you open both in new tabs/windows and compare them? I can't wait to find out... :laugh:

Code: Select all

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/view/new-posts-last-day/

I recommend that link instead as a better way to enter the forums.
I then posted a suggestion which appears to have been trashed, but I don't really know. :igiveup:
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

hlewton wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 17:13
...Do you mean I "spawned" the thread or that I "spawned" it going off topic? Not sure the latter could be true because, for the most part, I haven't the slightest idea what is going on. :laugh:
I really don't know; I am out of my depth here.
I have learned how to :pirate: a thread, but I just don't know if one can :pirate: a thread that one "owns" by virtue of having started the thread.
Frankly, I confess to a modicum of apprehension about posting this reply in case I was accused of pirating an already well-pirated thread. I mean, how could anyone force me to walk-the-plank twice?
Cheers
Chris

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 18:59
hlewton wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 15:35
My question is, if any other of the threads I created have a title change, and I may not be aware of, will clicking of the link I originally pasted into my spreadsheet still take me to the thread?
The link will still work. The URL of each thread in the Lounge has a unique topic number that never changes, even if the subject/title of the thread changes. Your link contains this unique topic number.
Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton