Iced-cream

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Iced-cream

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Web site pages here December 1, 2021
Friday, July 09, 2021
1 cup (8floz/225ml) cold heavy whipping cream (36% fat content)
4 tablespoons cold condensed milk, (store-bought or Homemade)
I beat the mixture at high speed for six minutes, added a heaped teaspoon cocoa, beat another two minutes, then into the freezer.
Next time I should use 1 can condensed milk, 2 cartons (250ml) 35% cream and make a bigger batch; it should firm up faster.
This was good. It made about a margarine-tub, a bit more. I can see me making flavours – cocoa, molasses, almond, rum etc. and perhaps making coffee-cup with lids. Fresh ripe strawberries, blue cheese, curry, curry and ground black pepper ...
Knowing that I am wolfing Down a carton of cream and half a can of condensed milk in one go makes me realize how much fat and sugar I am taking on board.
Saturday, July 10, 2021
Icecream_20210710_103436.jpg
From Swyers a 300ml can of sweetened condensed milk and a 500ml carton of 35% whipping cream. Also a sack of cardboard coffee cups with plastic lids, in case I want to stockpile a huge batch of ice-cream; or give some away. (Yeah. Right!)
Icecream_20210710_100220.jpg
I am so proud!
Icecream_20210710_101421.jpg
A 4-litre tub of el-cheapo is $7 at Foodland..
(to be continued)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 01 Dec 2021, 13:08, edited 2 times in total.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Iced-cream

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Icecream_20210710_160429_HDR.jpg
From Foodland I buy a 300ml can of low-fat sweetened condensed milk and a 500ml carton of 35% whipping cream. This is, roughly, one volume of condensed milk to two volumes of whipping cream.
Prices (average) $9.24 for the condensed milk and $6.13 for the cream. So about $15.50 all up, worth about eight litres of factory ice-cream This is not a cheap hobby, but as a gimmick it is valuable for the fun of it. The variety of flavours ...
Icecream_20210710_160442.jpg
There are 20 15ml in a 300 ml can of milk, so we are looking at 1,200 calories for the condensed milk.
There are 33 15ml in a 500 ml carton of cream, so we are looking at 1,6666 calories for the cream.
We are looking at about 2,000 calories here.
Icecream_20210710_160635.jpg
From left to right: cocoa powder, molasses (don’t be fooled by my “re-use” philosophy for plastic bottles, although now I think about it ...) and fake vanilla. The ginger-beer bottle is empty, alas.
I empty a can and a carton into a chilled mixing bowl. I should have placed the beaters in the bowl to show the height “before”, and again for “after”. The volume more than doubled with ten minutes of high-speed beating, at which time I partitioned the mixture into thirds.
One third received a teaspoon of vanilla and was mixed again for two minutes.
One third received a teaspoon of molasses and was mixed again for two minutes.
One third received a teaspoon of cocoa powder and was mixed again for two minutes.
(tubby continued)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 10 Jul 2021, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Iced-cream

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Icecream_20210710_162724.jpg
I ended up with three small cartons in the freezer, and a larger carton with a mixture of bowl residues to give myself heartburn in bed later tonight.
From left to right: Chocolate, Molasses, Mélange, and Vanilla.

(July 17) My focus group said the iced-cream was too sweet, so I am now using one 300 ml can of condensed milk and two 500 ml cartons of 355 whipping cream. This, of course, makes a rather large bowl of iced-cream and I might start storing it in the few 4-litres tubs i have out in the shed. The teeny-tiny bottle of peppermint essence was a good investment! C.

(July 24) I am now in my fifth batch. I have stopped using condensed milk, and now have five empty cans into which I can spoon a dollop of iced-cream as a hold-in-your-hand sample for visitors.
This morning's batch is made by
(1) Pureeing two ready-to-eat ripe bananas and mixing in a half-cup of white sugar
(2) High-speed mixer for five minutes; I stop when I hear the motor speed drop a half-tone or three, a signal that the cream is whipped firm enough to put an extra load on the motor.
(3) Add the pureed banana-sugar and beat for another thirty seconds.

I am working towards a lighter creamed ice that needs only a half-hour at room temperature before it can be eaten. Chipping away at a too-solid block sends chips scattering across the duvet. C.

(July 28) One cup of PartridGEberries from last year, thawed, blended; not as tasty as the strawberry.

Cheers
Chris