Excel2003 - Conditional Formatting

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Excel2003 - Conditional Formatting

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Untitled.png
Well, Excel(2003) continues to surprise me.

Some Thirty years have passed since I started teaching spreadsheets for Windows, including Excel, and this morning I was flummoxed to find that Conditional Formatting of cells does NOT include Font Size.

Font Size is disabled in the dialogue box shown above, as are several other aspects of Font.

This surprises me, because I would have thought that whoever designed/coded conditional formatting would just have “placed a call” to the basic formatting dialogue and then lived with the results.

Observation: Why are super/subscript in the dialogue box when they are disabled?

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: Excel2003 - Conditional Formatting

Post by HansV »

It's still the same in Excel 2019 (although it has many more types of conditional formatting).

It *is* a call to the standard Format Cells dialog - that's why Font, Size, Superscript and Subscript are there. But those elements have deliberately been disabled.

S0578.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
10 Jul 2021, 14:16
It *is* a call to the standard Format Cells dialog - that's why Font, Size, Superscript and Subscript are there. But those elements have deliberately been disabled.
Thanks, Hans, for confirming my conviction that nothing can be gained by moving forward sixteen years :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

I remain flummoxed.
If there truly is a call to the "regular cell formatting" dialogue, why not apply the "regular formatting", including type face, size and even super/subscript to the appropriate cells?
I ask not for an explanation, but pose the question to explain my state of flummoxation :grin:

Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The ways of Microsoft are inscrutable.
Best wishes,
Hans