Pre-heated ovens

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Pre-heated ovens

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Cellmate wrote:I realize this thread is nearly a year old, but I felt like weighing in.
Right. Do you think the oven will be warm enough by now? :evilgrin:
If you put your dish in a cold oven and leave it in for 35 mins, it won't be done properly.
Quite so, but if I am just heating up a home-made meat-pie the 35 minute thing doesn't kick in. I don't take out the meat pie until I have read all the material i d/l from links in Eileen's Lounge, had a cuppa, or even a cupla cuppas, showered, examined my new VHS tapes ...
When I'm baking cookies I pop them in and go on house-cleaning until the cookies aren't soft and puffy.
And if they are still cold and sloppy when I extract the proverbial digit, well, I LIKE the taste of raw cookies!
:cheers:
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I thought Brits - even ex-pat ones - ate biscuits. :innocent:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
08 Feb 2016, 19:34
I thought Brits - even ex-pat ones - ate biscuits. :innocent:
Amd speaking of ex-pat Brits and cookies, my reason for returning to this thread is to let y'all know that I have found a very good reason for pre-heating an oven, well, at least, and old-fashioned electric oven, like mine.

Ginger Cookies: I mix up a 3lb tub of dough and spoon out a dozen cookies when i need to; or want to.
This evening I turned on the oven (350º) and spent 90 seconds spooning out twelve teaspoons of chilled dough, rolled to balls, pattied them with a wet palm (even though I am an ex-pat), and slid the tray into the oven.

My old-fashioned electric oven pre-heats by turning on the grill element, the one at the top that looks as if it will fall out at any moment.
I felt the heat as I slid tray onto the middle rack.
My oven in pre-heat mode will grill my cookie dough instead of baking it.
In pre-heat mode I run the risk of baking a crust atop my cookies, rather than baking them through and through.
I imagine that a slight crust will insulate the dough, and inhibit the passage of heat.

:munch: Chris :munch:

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Here's another "preheat mystery": On a package of breaded shrimp from our Aldi market, the instructions say "Preheat oven to 450°F... Turn down oven temperature to 425°F. Bake 13-15 minutes..." I can't understand the point of playing around like this, rather than just stopping the temperature at 425°F.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:
04 May 2021, 00:40
Here's another "preheat mystery": On a package of breaded shrimp from our Aldi market, the instructions say "Preheat oven to 450°F... Turn down oven temperature to 425°F. Bake 13-15 minutes..." I can't understand the point of playing around like this, rather than just stopping the temperature at 425°F.
I can come up with three reasons, not one of them "proved":-
(1) Shrimp is shellfish with all those selfish lawyers' mis-conceptions of opportunities for sue-ing, so they warn the company to go the 450/425 route to lure users into NOT setting 425 and popping in the shrimp at 415 because "that's close enough". Even lawyers have to put food on the table for the little lawyers-in-training.
(2) The 450/425 route provides a reservoir of heat to compensate for the loss of heat when the oven door is opened to pop in the shellfish, and a delay occurs while last-night's home-made dog-biscuits (or by now tri-quits) are removed.
(3) Some people living in Bonavista may have faulty thermostats (in the ovens, I mean), and the 450/425 route gives an extra assurance that the surface of the shellfish are bathed in a high temperature (may be 425, depending on the faultiness of the thermostat) for a short period, blasting away any superficial bacteria.

A more important question, while I wait for this morning's doggie-batch to bake, is why the lawyers didn't specify a time frame for these instructions.
"Preheat oven to 450°F... Turn down oven temperature to 425°F. Bake 13-15 minutes..." does not specify the time interval between turning the oven down to 425 and inserting the shellfish. Performing the two tasks within five seconds is one thing. Turning down the oven, waiting half an hour, and then inserting the shellfish will be a matter for the courts to decide.

Cheers
Chris

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Another possibility:
(4) It's another reason to keep a 6-year-old thread growing even longer. :-)

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

We enjoy some frozen turnovers, the directions for them are:
Preheat oven to 425
Then bake at 400 for 20 minutes

I take that to mean once the turnovers are placed in 425 oven, to turn down temperature to 400
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living