Blue background, white text

jmt356
SilverLounger

Blue background, white text

Post by jmt356 »

Have the current versions of Word, such as Word 2016 and 2019, discontinued the blue background, white text feature? Is the only current option to manually change the background color of each document, which causes the recipient of the document to see the new background color? I want a setting that gives a dark background to the document on my computer only, not on that of other users who receive the document, and I don't want the background color to print.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Blue background, white text

Post by HansV »

Yes, this feature has been removed.

If you have Microsoft 365, you may be able to select Dark Mode now or soon - it was introduced to Office Insiders earlier this year. See Dark mode

Otherwise, I think your only option is to switch to a high contrast theme in Windows, but that would affect all applications,
Best wishes,
Hans

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

JMT,

Here is an additional resource with a few suggestions others have used.
Regards,
John

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

HansV wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 13:04
Yes, this feature has been removed.

If you have Microsoft 365, you may be able to select Dark Mode now or soon - it was introduced to Office Insiders earlier this year. See Dark mode

Otherwise, I think your only option is to switch to a high contrast theme in Windows, but that would affect all applications,
I went to File | Account and chose Black under Office Theme. This changes only the canvass, not the page color. I cannot find Dark Mode in the View Ribbon to change the color of my Word document black.

According to the image of the Ribbon at https://insider.office.com/en-us/blog/t ... de-in-word, the Dark Mode button should be between the Immersive Reader and Vertical icons.

I have MS 365.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I guess it's still only for Office Insiders (users who have opted to get new features early); I don't know when it will be rolled out to users on the regular update channel.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

How do you become an Officer Insider?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you use Microsoft 365 with a personal account, see Join the Office Insider Program.

If you have a corporate account, the admin may or may not allow you to join the Insider program.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I have selected Black as my Office Theme. However, in Outlook, this causes the text for the From, Subject, Received, Size, and other meta details of my unread emails to display in blank text on a dark gray background. It is extremely hard to read.

Once I have read the email, the text turns to white on a dark gray background.

See attached image of unread email followed by read email.

Can this be changed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A quick search shows that thus problem has existed for several years now. You can complain to Microsoft through File > Feedback (on Windows) or through the Feedback button - the smiley face - in the upper right corner (on a Mac)
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Is it possible to get dark mode in Chrome? I have dark mode set in Windows, but in Chrome, the web pages all have bright backgrounds. The same is true for IE and Edge.

I want dark backgrounds with white text.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't use Chrome, so I cannot help you with that. But I suspect that not all websites support light text on a dark background.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

The same is true with other web browsers I have tried (Internet Explorer and Edge). Have you been able to get it to work on any?

The only web page I have gotten to work in Dark Mode is Youtube while browsing in Chrome. Dark Mode does not appear to be supported in IE and Edge.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't use dark mode myself, so I have no idea.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

jmt356 wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 21:11
Is it possible to get dark mode in Chrome? I have dark mode set in Windows, but in Chrome, the web pages all have bright backgrounds. The same is true for IE and Edge.

I want dark backgrounds with white text.
A quick Google search (I think I may have mentioned Google in several previous responses ??) for "dark mode in Edge Chromium" yields many results which seem to indicate that in fact "dark" mode is supported in Edge.
One article from Lifehacker details a method whereby individual websites are forced to use dark theme. This same search reveals many articles on this same subject. I have absolutely no idea whether or not these suggestions actually work, and as I am not interested in using this feature, I will not be experimenting with these methods.
I don't know if this is possible in Chrome, but I'm sure that a similar search will be able to shed some light on this.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions