Case sensitive style names

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Case sensitive style names

Post by ChrisGreaves »

In this Microsoft.com thread of January 7, 2013 is a discussion of case [in]sensitive style names in MSWord. I have not progressed beyond Word2003.
When you assign a style to text using VBA, the lines
Selection.Style = "Heading 1"
and
Selection.Style = "heading 1"
have the same effect: both assign the built-in style "Heading 1" to the text. This also holds for custom styles: if you create a style named "tomato", but not a style named "TomaTo", the line
Selection.Style = "TomaTo"
assigns the "tomato" style to the text, you don't get an error message that "TomaTo" doesn't exist.
To date has anyone here any evidence that MSWord(any version) style names have been, or will be, case-sensitive?

I ask because I am about to force case-insensitivity on a style-searching function, as in "UCase everything in sight during the search".
Thanks
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Case sensitive style names

Post by HansV »

As the OP in that thread remarked, it turns out that it is possible to create different styles named mystyle and MYSTYLE (and MyStyle etc.)

S0265.png

Although I still think this is a bug, you should not assume that style names are case-insensitive.
So you'd have to search twice: first, case-sensitive. If not found, then search case-insensitive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

HansV wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 13:42
POTATO-potato.png
Let's call the whole thing off!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:laugh:
Best wishes,
Hans