Downloading an application via human flesh.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Downloading an application via human flesh.

Post by ChrisGreaves »

So I sat at the table using the DELL to d/l a version of application software this morning.
I am, of course, facing the laptop, and the WiFi router/modem is directly behind me.
Distance between the laptop and router about five feet.
I am therefore sitting between the laptop and the router.

The download started and ran at 4.5MB/second.
Since the transmission is WiFi, electromagnetic waves are carrying the 56MB file from the router to the laptop.
Through my body.

That means that the electrons in my (atoms in my (molecules in my)) body are pulsing or vibrating as they transfer 56,000,000 bytes or 504,000,000 bits.

I sat very, very still while this was going on. (grin)

Of course, they are not my atoms. I have borrowed them from the stars.

Still and all, it was a strange thought that my body was taking part in the download of a computer program.

Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Re: Downloading an application via human flesh.

Post by GeoffW »

Do the waves travel through you, or bounce around you?

According to the great Oracle, Wikipedia
Wi-Fi's wavebands have relatively high absorption and work best for line-of-sight use. Many common obstructions such as walls, pillars, home appliances, etc. may greatly reduce range, but this also helps minimize interference between different networks in crowded environments.
I can't find mention of the role.of human bodies.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 20:50
Do the waves travel through you, or bounce around you?
Thanks a LOT Geoff.
How am I supposed to get to sleep tonight with that awe-ful thought rattling around in my brain?

I did feel a gentle warmth spreading through me during the d/l, but I put that down to the freshly-baked ginger cookie I had stolen from my kitchen. Now I am wondering whether I should toss my old microwave oven and get one of those Internet-of-thingies so that I can install MS Windows updates while supper is cooking. cook supper while I am downloading Windows updates.
(signed) "Connected" of Bonavista :cooked: :meltdown:
I can't find mention of the role of human bodies.
If this munching of ginger cookies doesn't stop, this human body will have its own roll.
Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 20:28
...That means that the electrons in my (atoms in my (molecules in my)) body are pulsing or vibrating as they transfer...
Don't think it works like that. Not sure how it does work mind you but if I remember my spectroscopy lectures from a loooooong time ago correctly then radio waves don't excite electrons in the atoms of the molecules that make up your body.

Happy to be corrected though.

Ken

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I would agree - I wouldn't expect any excited electrons in Chris Greaves's body. They are probably mostly comatose! :innocent: :flee:
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 14:07
I would agree - I wouldn't expect any excited electrons in Chris Greaves's body. They are probably mostly comatose! :innocent: :flee:
Unlike some people, I am very proud of my Gray Matter. I have spent my entire life developing a highly sophisticated neural network, and am proud of it! :sneaky:

Cheers
Chris