CA certificate

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
RonH
SilverLounger

CA certificate

Post by RonH »

In setting up a WiFi guest connection on an Android mobile at a kommune centre, the only way it could be established was without any CA certificate. I have read about the warnings that my connection would not be private. The centre is an aged person’s home which is a bit isolated.

Is it a real security issue to make such a connection? I am checking with the centre to see if they have CA for the guest net but I suspect not. The connection does utilise a guest name with password.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: CA certificate

Post by StuartR »

There is some risk that somebody could put in a rogue WiFi hotspot that pretends to be the correct one for the centre, but it steals your information.

Ideally you should use a VPN whenever you connect to any WiFi to protect yourself from this kind of thing.
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Stuart, I'll take a look at this possibility should no CA become available. Interested to read that Android next release will likely be greying out the possibility of connecting without a certificate.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Most home WiFi networks rely on a password, rather than certificates, so I would be really surprised if Android stopped supporting this
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I should have said 'Enterprise' WiFi networks as reported here:
https://www.xda-developers.com/android ... nection/
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

RonH wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 14:50
I should have said 'Enterprise' WiFi networks as reported here:
https://www.xda-developers.com/android ... nection/
That makes sense. It's a very good change
StuartR