Automatic Logout Problem

BobH
UraniumLounger

Automatic Logout Problem

Post by BobH »

Other than the Lounge, I don't visit but a few other forums that require logging in. None of these sites have options to control logging out or forcing logouts (not to my knowledge, anyway). For reasons unknown to me, I am being logged out after some, unknown period of time. It is annoying.

I'm not talking about logins required by deleting cookies or running cleanup software like CCleaner or Glary Utilities. Without ever running anything but Firefox and whatever background apps and processes that continue all the time, I'm being logged out of every forum I visit after a period of inactivity. The only AV that I run is Microsoft Security Essentials.

I've searched the web (although my search fu is notoriously weak) without finding a likely culprit. What would you suspect might cause it? What should I investigate as the source?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Automatic Logout Problem

Post by HansV »

Some sites automatically log you out after a certain period of inactivity as a security measure - banks for example.
I don't know about other forums/boards...

(I will move this thread from the Windows 10 forum to the Firefox forum)
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Most forum sites have a "remember me" or "keep me logged in" check box when you login. Are you sure these other forums do not have this. Can you supply a couple URLs to check?

Have you checked your FireFox settings to ensure that it does not clear cookies when FireFox is closed?
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, both!

https://www.eileenslounge.com/ and https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/show ... p?t=289347

Both have the 'remember me' check box which I dutifully check; however, I am still logged off.

I can find nothing in Firefox that seems suspicious, but there were several hits in searching that identified Windows 10 but with other software and not with forums.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Do you use and third party programs to clear your browsing history or the removal of cookies?
Cookies may not be being kept as you may have the Windows setting not to keep them.

Most login information is contained within a cookie.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
31 Jan 2021, 22:51
...being logged out of every forum I visit after a period of inactivity...
Could it be that your inactivity is being interpreted by your VPN as a cue to drop the VPN? I guess that would log you out of places.

For example, if I get up and leave my work laptop say to have lunch, sometimes when I return it's as if my laptop has lost touch with my work systems and I have to 'refresh' the VPN icon that lives in the system tray before I can get at the network drives on the work file server.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Ken!

I hadn't considered the VPN. I shall have to look into that.

I forgot to mention in my OP that while I have Firefox set to clean up on close, I do have the URLs for the sites I don't want the cookies deleted for in the protected list.

Mozilla VPN. Hmmmm.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

UPDATE:

Mozilla responded telling me to uninstall the VPN app, download a fresh copy, and reinstall it. Apparently the uninstall is necessary to remove some files that might be the cause of the problem.

IT WORKED!!!! For all websites EXCEPT Eileen's Lounge. I am still being logged out after some unknown time period here. :scratch:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Because the clean up is removing the Eileen cookies
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

After removing and reinstalling the VPN app, all seems to be working as expected again.

Thanks for the help!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)