Windows Defender Scanning Options

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows Defender Scanning Options

Post by hlewton »

I am using Windows Defender (Windows Security) to protect from viruses. Is there a way to tell Windows Defender to do a daily scan at a particular time within Windows Defender itself? The only thing I found about this on the WEB says I have to set up a task in Task Scheduler. Never done that before and not sure about doing it now.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Windows Defender Scanning Options

Post by StuartR »

You will have to use Task Scheduler for this. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... b330ed5d2d
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 23:01
You will have to use Task Scheduler for this. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... b330ed5d2d
Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I hope it's appropriate to post this question here since it does have to do with Windows Defender and how it protects my machine.

I have just read a little about Windows Defender's Ransomware Protection. In checking, I found it was not enabled. It was so easy to enable I am wondering why it wasn't enabled as a default. I am not sure if enabling it has disadvantages or not. My thought is, it should have been enabled as a default and I don't know why it wasn't.

Some thoughts, please. Should it be enabled or not?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) can be useful, although it is does not offer 100% protection. If a malicious website or app tricks you into giving it sufficient privileges, it can bypass Controlled Folder Access.
And it is rather annoying when you first enable it - it will block lots of ordinary things that you do such as saving a file; you then have to go into the settings and specify that you want to allow it...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you for that answer. Glad I only experimented with it on one machine. I think it blocked the email alerting me to a reply here because I didn't get one.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Controlled folder access prevents unknown programs from writing to folders. Here's a Microsoft article on it - Protect important folders with controlled folder access. You'll notice that many trusted programs are automatically added to the OK list. Adding programs to the OK list should be a one-time effort.

I guess that Microsoft did not enable this by default because they feared a deluge of complaints about the whitelist process.

Note that if you use OneDrive ransomware protection is included for OneDrive files. See Ransomware detection and recovering your files.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you Joe for that information. I will check out those links.
Regards,
hlewton