Printing Return labels

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Printing Return labels

Post by hlewton »

When trying to print a return label for products purchased on line the label is printing very small. I can view it larger but cannot seem to get it to print out to a size that is easily readable. I have tried it on 3 printers while printing from within the Browser. I tried it using both FireFox and Chrome and the results are all the same. This company will not email you the return label but will allow it to be downloaded to a pdf file. Printed it from there and still the same. I have used custom size settings, portrait, and landscape still nothing.

If anyone has run into the same problem what is the solution?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Printing Return labels

Post by StuartR »

I would try a screen capture and print the resulting image
StuartR

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

hlewton wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 13:54
... a pdf file. Printed it from there and still the same. I have used custom size settings, portrait, and landscape still nothing.
What PDF application are you using to view the PDF?

I use Foxit Reader - seeFree PDF Reader & PDF Viewer Download | Foxit Software - and can choose what scale I want to print at (up to 800%):

x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 14:50
Never though of that. Will give it a try.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 16:20
hlewton wrote:
... a pdf file. Printed it from there and still the same. I have used custom size settings, portrait, and landscape still nothing.
What PDF application are you using to view the PDF?

I use Foxit Reader - seeFree PDF Reader & PDF Viewer Download | Foxit Software - and can choose what scale I want to print at (up to 800%):

x.jpg
I have both Corel and Acrobat Reader DC. I tried scaling that label in both. I set it to 150 in both Portrait and Landscape. It shows the label larger BUT it will not print it larger no matter what I do. I also scaled it to 150% using FF's File, Page Setup. Please see attachment. I have set the custom scale inside the printer's settings. Nothing makes it print out bigger. It will not let me copy and paste it into a Word document in order to scale it there.
Return.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 14:50
Well I tried this. I had a screen capture and had to crop only the label itself from that shot in Paint. Paint must have a mind of its own because no matter how I resize it within Paint it prints out much larger and too blurry to actually use to return it. I went from resizing it from 80% to 150% and also used the default 100%. All 3 printed out the same size.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Can you give us the link to the PDF you are trying to print so we can try as well?

Thanks,

Ken

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

hlewton wrote:
I tried it using both FireFox and Chrome and the results are all the same.
Firefox allows you to Print a page at up to 200% - did that not work?
(File > Print Preview)
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 17:10
Can you give us the link to the PDF you are trying to print so we can try as well?

Thanks,

Ken
It has my wife's name and our address on it and I cannot black it out. I wish I could.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 17:30
hlewton wrote:
I tried it using both FireFox and Chrome and the results are all the same.
Firefox allows you to Print a page at up to 200% - did that not work?
(File > Print Preview)
I just tried it again and this time I made it 150%, and printed it out in both landscape and portrait. It did print out bigger this time in landscape and I have no idea why. Maybe I had not hit on the correct combination before. However, I used both 150% and 200% in landscape and they both printed out exactly the same size.
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Unplug your printer. Count to 20. Plug the printer back in and wait for it to power on self test (POST). Try printing again. If that doesn't work, try disabling the printer then enabling it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobH wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 17:54
Unplug your printer. Count to 20. Plug the printer back in and wait for it to power on self test (POST). Try printing again. If that doesn't work, try disabling the printer then enabling it.
Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Did power recycling fix the problem?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobH wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 22:13
Did power recycling fix the problem?
I only tried it on one printer but it still is printing the same. I talked to Brother support and they had no clue what was happening. All they cared about was that it did print something out.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I wonder if the label is an embedded eps object that specifies size information. That would probably override anything you send to the printer, but you should still be able to do a screen grab, paste it into Word, size it to the size you want and print it out.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 23:02
I wonder if the label is an embedded eps object that specifies size information. That would probably override anything you send to the printer, but you should still be able to do a screen grab, paste it into Word, size it to the size you want and print it out.
I would think so too. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. The only way I know to try to do what you suggest is to do a Print Screen, Paste that into Paint, Crop it so only the label remains, and then try to size it to print. When I do that no matter if I set it to 150% or 200% it prints out the same size and that print is too blurry to use.

We have not taken this to the carrier yet but will in a few hours. Hopefully what we have as the label will be acceptable. We ended up trimming the sheet the label was printed on and only having the small label remaining. We put that into our copier and enlarged it. It too is not the clearest of prints but it is much better than anything I could directly print from the computer.
Regards,
hlewton

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Final thought:

The resolution of a screen grab will only be as good as the resolution of your screen. From your browser, can you print to a pdf, then zoom in on the created pdf, grab a screen shot of the relevant section, and paste it into a document?

It all seems a lot of trouble to go to to return something!
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 15:42
Final thought:

The resolution of a screen grab will only be as good as the resolution of your screen. From your browser, can you print to a pdf, then zoom in on the created pdf, grab a screen shot of the relevant section, and paste it into a document?

It all seems a lot of trouble to go to to return something!
I know it is a lot of trouble but when a company sends the wrong merchandise we don't have much choice but to send it back to have our money refunded.

I have found no way to print to a pdf file from the Browser. it prints to a *.prn file but I'm not at all sure what that does because when trying to open it, it wants to know what program to use. My screen resolution is 1920 x 1080 and I'm not sure if that is good or bad in this instance.
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

You haven't mentioned; so I'll ask. What paper size is your printer set for? 8-1/2 x 11 is common in the US. Is it possible that your paper dimension settings are off?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobH wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 18:46
You haven't mentioned; so I'll ask. What paper size is your printer set for? 8-1/2 x 11 is common in the US. Is it possible that your paper dimension settings are off?
No I don't believe so. They are set to 8- 1/2 x 11 on all my printers.
Regards,
hlewton