Updating User Account in Windows 10

BobH
UraniumLounger

Updating User Account in Windows 10

Post by BobH »

In using Excel in Office Pro 2013, I encountered an error message to the effect that it could not connect to the network. In researching this, I think I might have found the problem. My User Account has an incorrect email address owing to the fact that I changed ISP about 18 months ago which made the domain name in my User Account no longer valid.

I then researched changing the email address associated with my User Account. I found many hits but none of them gave me instructions that I could complete. For example, using netplwiz in a run command gave me the account but does not allow me to delete it or modify it. I ran into similar problems trying to access the UA from Control Panel or Settings > User Accounts . . .

Can anyone tell me how to access my Windows 10 User Account so that I can modify the email address associated with my ID? I need to get rid of the domain "hot.rr.com" in my email address in the User Account.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Updating User Account in Windows 10

Post by HansV »

Have you tried Change the email address or phone number for your Microsoft account? You can add the new address, and if it works, you can try to remove the old one.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hans, for the many thousandths time, THANK YOU!
mygrande.net.PNG
Here is my problem. As you can see when I go Settings > Email and accounts, I see the display as in the screenshot. The first user account listed is, apparently, the primary or controlling account. I cannot log in with Microsoft with that account because I no longer have the password for the account with that email address. Furthermore, I cannot use the Forgot Password recovery because I cannot receive email at any email address containing that domain name because I no longer have an account with the ISP that owns it; and my current ISP will not process it. IOW, Microsoft wants to send me an email message to change the password for the account with the inoperable address with the domain hot.rr.com.

The second user account has a different email address with a different and valid domain name that I can sign in to. As you can see, if I select the second user account, I have the options to Manage or Remove the account; however I don't want to do anything to this account. When I select the first user account (with the bad domain name), I only get the option to Manage the account which, when followed, never leads to an option to update the email address. I am not given an option to Remove that account.

I had to set up the second account to sign in at Microsoft.com. When I discovered that both accounts were in Windows, I had hoped to use the second user account to delete the first; but that is not allowed.

As I reported in the OP, apps are apparently defaulting to the email address associated with the 'primary' (but useless) user account.

Does this trigger any other thoughts for how to approach resolving this problem?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You may have to set up an entirely new Windows account.
Best wishes,
Hans