Streamlining the Bookmarking process.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Streamlining the Bookmarking process.

Post by ChrisGreaves »

In an effort to reduce my time on The Computer ...
I am watching only one segment of a lecture at a time. Richard Feynman is delicious, but I cannot absorb over an hour at a time. A six-minute topic from his 1h5m clip gives me enough to think about while I try to keep up with the contractor.
Untitled.png
I hit on the idea of bookmarking my position in a long video clip by making a change to the name of the bookmark that shows up in my toolbar menu. In the example shown above, on my next coffee break I shall continue viewing at the 12-minute mark.
Cheers
Chris.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 28 Feb 2021, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: Streamlining the Bookmarking process.

Post by HansV »

See if the Default Bookmark Folder extension suits your purpose.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Just grab the icon at the left end of the URL in the address bar (the lock icon if the address is HTTPS), drag it to the Pending folder on the toolbar, and drop it there. The URL will be added at the drop point (the blue line in the screen shot) or at the end of the list in the folder's dropdown.
DnD.png
I keep a Useful folder for things that I use repeatedly, and a "need answer" folder for things in forums that I'll come back to answer later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

While viewing the page you are interested in, why not click on on the 'Pocket' button? One click and you're done!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 16:35
Just grab the icon at the left end of the URL in the address bar (the lock icon if the address is HTTPS), drag it to the Pending folder on the toolbar, and drop it there. The URL will be added at the drop point ...
:clapping: :clapping: :thankyou:

Thank you Jay, that is what I was looking for. How to use my existing Firefox installation in a better (for me) way

Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PaulB wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 20:29
While viewing the page you are interested in, why not click on on the 'Pocket' button? One click and you're done!
Hello Paul, and thank you for this tip. I shall probably give it a miss for now, in part because I have never used a Pocket Ap, but also because as much as possible, I like use what I already have set up.
I am an old fogey, as you know, set in my ways, and I am used to Bookmark menus!
Thanks again
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 14:04
Hi Hans. I thought it might (suit my purpose) so I raced off and added yet-another-extension to Firefox (I see extensions as yet-another-task-when-I-rebuild!). At my first attempt the add-in did not seem to accept my default folder setting ("PENDING").
Untitled.png
I will try it again tomorrow. Right now i am required to act as a rubber-ball between two insurance companies and am not in the best mood to be sitting at a laptop re-configuring it ( Grrrrrrr!)
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 14:04
Hello Hans.
After a few days I have not been able to get it to work, in the sense that I was unable to set the default folder and make it stick

I liked the idea that bookmarked pages could be added to the top of my Pending folder, but each time I used the extension I had to navigate to the folder, which of course cost me clicks.
FF 83.9(64 bit) on a Win10-2004 installation.

Cheers
Chris

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 20:53
PaulB wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 20:29
Hello Paul, and thank you for this tip. I shall probably give it a miss for now, in part because I have never used a Pocket Ap, but also because as much as possible, I like use what I already have set up.
I am an old fogey, as you know, set in my ways, and I am used to Bookmark menus!
Thanks again
Chris

Pocket is not an app, it's built in to Firefox. If you want to save a page in order to return to it later, simply click on the Pocket icon (1) as in Exhibit 1 below. Whenever you wish to return to this page, simply click on the "Books on the bookshelf" icon (2) and select "View Pocket List" (3) from the drop-down menu. A new tab will open (see Exhibit 2) showing all pages you have saved. Simply select the page you want.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PaulB wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 20:04
... simply click on the Pocket icon (1) as in Exhibit 1 below.
Hi again, Paul.
I took a look and think that the idea is sound for those who need it, but that's not me.
Pocket enables what I would call "sharing of bookmarks across browsers and platforms" (laptops, smart phones etc), which is not me.
That is why, I guess, one needs to open up an account with yet-another-password.
Bottom Line, it is over-kill for me.

I am not denigrating Pocket; it is just that I do not need that complexity or power at this time.
Cheers
Chris

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Jay Freedman wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 16:35
Just grab the icon at the left end of the URL in the address bar (the lock icon if the address is HTTPS), drag it to the Pending folder on the toolbar
Jay,

You win my "Tip of the Day" award! (Check's in the mail).

Hans,

Can a THUMBS UP function be added to the forum so a particularly helpful post can be acknowledged without adding another post? Don't mind adding the post, but it seems like something like that might be a useful addition.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We don't have a "like" or "solved" indicator - we don't want members to beg others for such things, as often occurs in other forums.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 01:06
Jay, You win my "Tip of the Day" award! (Check's in the mail).
I agree with you, PJ, but I didn't have a "Tip of the Day" award. That is reserved for mu kitchen counter. If I were warm and generous enough to have a "Tip of the Month" award I would have handed that out.
Although I make use of 3rd-party applications, I do like to stay within my boundaries of installed software as much as possible.
I still use MSPaint, largely because I find myself helping people from time to time, and everyone has MSPaint, and so many people are afraid to/not allowed to install "outside software".

Jay's solution took me as I was (using FireFox) and showed me how to make better use of it in exactly the way I wanted.

Every municipality should have a Jay Freedman as mayor.

Cheers
Chris

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

HansV wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 06:49
We don't have a "like" or "solved" indicator - we don't want members to beg others for such things, as often occurs in other forums.
I admit I'm not often in other forums, a testament to the height of the bar Eileen's Lounge has set, but the few I do frequent are mostly Excel and VB(A). Have never seen anyone beg in Stackoverflow, for example, and that has scored posts.

Guess I just need to get out more....
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 01:06
Jay, You win my "Tip of the Day" award! (Check's in the mail).
Hi PJ.
Here's a small "tip of the minute", since I suspect that you, like me, are using Jay's tip frequently.
Untitled.png
I have experienced problems dragging the icon through a series of menus. My hand slips just a couple of millimetres in the horizontal traverse and the menus collapse like the proverbial house of cards.
This morning it dawned on me that my menus texts were too long.

A menu labelled "references for future use and review" requires that my hand drags the cursor much father (in a straight line") than does a menu labelled "references".
The rightmost circled label in the image is for a leaf, but the two other circled nodes represent menu/node labels that are reduced to a length that my hands can manage.

I should reduce "Charger vs Adapter?" to "Charger/Adapter?". It's all about probability, right?

Cheers
Chris