phpBB

BobH
UraniumLounger

phpBB

Post by BobH »

My browser tells me that Eileen's Lounge is built on phpBB. I have just told you all I know about phpBB.

I know that when I post in the lounge that there are (for lack of knowing what they are called) operators that control how things are displayed. For example, to have something appear as a quote there are operators that precede and follow the text. A simple [ ] pair surrounds the operator "quote" to begin a quote and a similar pair surrounds the closing operator "/quote" in those brackets. Using this type markup will result in predictable text markup if you know the operators and use them correctly.

I would like to know if there is a dictionary or list of operator pairs that are available for use here; and, if there are operators that are not to be used. I realize that the icons above the posting space will cover most situations, but I was wondering if there are others that are more or less universally used by phpBB forums. I think that some might be custom created by the admins, such as the strikethrough markup.

I hope my question is not too poorly worded, but I don't know the vocabulary for those things in phpBB.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Leif
Administrator

Re: phpBB

Post by Leif »

I don't think you'll find much more than what is in the Eileen's Lounge - BBCode guide linked to from the Portal...
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You'll also find several tutorials plus a description of the custom tags we have created especially for Eileen's Lounge in the Lounge Utilities, Tips and Tricks forum.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, for the information. I was unsure if there might be others that were not chosen for the Lounge. I visit other phpBB forums that don't include as many as are shown here but do have others leading to my conclusion that there was a set somewhere from which one might choose.

Thanks, again!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

There are tags that are part of the underlying system.
The admins can create additional lounge-specific tags, we can also edit or delete any of the default tags.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Stuart. From the infinitely small attention I've paid to phpBB and other forum software, I thought that picking from a list was possible.

Can you point me to a list of all possible tags (there's the word I couldn't recall)?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As already mentioned: BBCode guide for the built-in ones and Tutorial: BBcodes for the custom ones.
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Here are some of the BB Code color words shown in their pretty color
https://secure.runescape.com/m=forum/sl ... 7,64690220
The syntax there at that link is not quite correct, and there are some typos.

I reproduced the list in the correct BB Code tag format we typically have, and they all seem to work.
https://excelfox.com/forum/showthread.p ... #post15120
https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php ... 20#p277520

I don’t know if they are all the available colors

When I am preparing my beautiful posts, I prefer to use the color wording rather than the color number, since it is easier to know what colours I am using when I see it in the text in the BB coding form

It’s very pretty
BB Color Code tags in Word.JPG

:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 16 Nov 2020, 08:12, edited 2 times in total.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A list of the 140 HTML color names:
Sorted alphabetically: HTML Color Names
Sorted by color group: Color Names
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Beautiful

https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php ... 25#p277525
https://excelfox.com/forum/showthread.p ... #post15121

I can’t wait until I have another post to make
I am writing a macro now to add a bbcode color tag pair around every character in the color group list order…
( I was wondering if you could change the post size limit to a few million characters for me to allow for my next post? ) :evilgrin: :smile:

[color=LIGHTCORAL]B[/color][color=SALMON]e[/color][color=DARKSALMON]a[/color][color=LIGHTSALMON]u[/color][color=CRIMSON]t[/color][color=RED]i[/color][color=FIREBRICK]f[/color][color=DARKRED]u[/color][color=PINK]l[/color]
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also