Long wait (60+seconds) for the Lounge

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Long wait (60+seconds) for the Lounge

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I rebooted not twenty minutes ago, which means a new folder "Cache" on my RamDisk drive. Nonetheless, I logged out, closed Firefox, deleted the teeny-weeny cache, and reloaded Firefox. Signed in - and here I am again.
Untitled.png
Five minutes before this I had tried to start a new thread in this forum.
For the past week or more I have been experiencing long (60+ seconds) in response to Preview or to Submit.
About once a day I get some sort of SQL error.

Question1: Has anyone else been experiencing anything like this?
Question2: Are six instances of FF a Good Thing so shortly after a reboot.

Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 05 Nov 2020, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Long wait (60+seconds) for the Lounge

Post by BobH »

1) No, not I.
2) Try ending the extraneous copies of Fx running as evidenced by Task Manager.

Any snow yet? :fanfare: :fanfare: :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Re 2) - see Topic: Why so many Firefox processes? @ AskWoody for some likely reasons.
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 18:06
2) Try ending the extraneous copies of Fx running as evidenced by Task Manager.
Hi Bob, and I re-read your thread of three days ago.
I will dive deeper into the multiple copies next time this arises.
For the past fortnight I have been putting the delay down to a slow or fully-occupied server. Who am I to complain, right?
Any snow yet? :fanfare: :fanfare: :flee:
I did a Snow Dance this morning. Took one step onto the driveway and started windmilling my hands as if your helicopter was trying to land on my flight deck and I was waving you off.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!(attached) Makes me wonder why I got a colour camera on the phone. B&W would do as well ...
You don't suppose the snow or cold has anything to do with slow response from Eileen's Lounge?
I had wondered whether the new Throttling Governor code module in the software had finally recognized that I was logged in ....
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 18:03
It happened again, just now.
Untitled2.png
Sorrows
Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

The Lounge has been slow for me this week. At one point it refused to respond to me clicking the submit button, as in it seemed to think about it but didn't actually do anything. Looging out, clearing cookies, all the usual suspects had no effect. A few hours later, no problems. The Admins may have better insight but I fear it's just the nature of the server that hosts The Lounge.

As for all those FF processes, that's just the way FF works these days and has worked for some considerable time now, ever since Firefox Quantum became a thing. Leave them alone or you'll break FF.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 18:17
Re 2) - see Topic: Why so many Firefox processes? @ AskWoody for some likely reasons.
Thank you Leif.
I read through that thread and formed the opinion that 6 processes is not necessarily the cause of the long delay in response to a Preview or Submit command (too EL via FF)

So to Question 3: Has anyone else experienced these Eileen's Lounge 60+seconds delay after Preview/Submit within, say, the past three days?

I should add that I was at home on my own router this morning, but since 2pm (an hour ago) I have been at Tom's using his router/provider.

Thanks
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 18:32
The Lounge has been slow for me this week. At one point it refused to respond to me clicking the submit button, as in it seemed to think about it but didn't actually do anything. Logging out, clearing cookies, all the usual suspects had no effect. A few hours later, no problems. The Admins may have better insight but I fear it's just the nature of the server that hosts The Lounge.
Thank you Ken. So it is not Just Me.
That is a relief.
I can accept a hiccough on the server as the reason.
As for all those FF processes, that's just the way FF works these days and has worked for some considerable time now, ever since Firefox Quantum became a thing. Leave them alone or you'll break FF.
Thanks for this, too.
Of course I don't spend much time in Task Manager when I am browsing, but it is where I head to when I want to axe a (to me) misbehaving Ap.

FWIW When I have inspected the 6 processes, two of them have been at 0% CPU, but perhaps one of those is a D/L processor and perhaps the other one is a ??? processor.

Cheers
Chris

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

As Ken said; been like that for a long time (in Fx).

I think it's also related to this (which I see no need to change):
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pe ... e-settings

The Lounge?
"Things" happen every now and then; I wouldn't blame my browser or computer for that; you will also usually notice if most other sites are working at the time.

Delays, yes of course I've experienced that (even if I called the Lounge snappy after the move), and I think we have touched the topic a couple of times. Just earlier today: no response when pressing preview; made sure I had a copy of the post; backed & refreshed.

Since there isn't much that can be done I see no use in troubleshooting.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As has been remarked, Firefox create lot of processes.

Since the move to a new server and to phpBB version 3.3, the Lounge is often slow for me. It is particularly pronounced at the whole hour, when digests are being sent, but it occurs at random other times too. Most of the time it's just a matter of waiting, but sometimes I get an error message that the connection to the database has been lost, or even that eileenslounge.com cannot be found. Reloading the page after a minute or so usually works. Unfortunately, we cannot solve this :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Being logged out on the other hand ... Read the thread (not logged in); backed to the portal; wrote what is needed (username etc.) but didn't log in, instead I checked another thread and backed to the portal; no surprise that the password box was empty, so I entered what is needed again and logged in. Now the fun started. After the post above I clicked Portal top left and was logged out (not the first time for any of us). I then (just for fun) stepped backwards (via mouse key/keyboard key/browser button etc. and found the thread again with my text the post "composing box"(?), but I wasn't logged in.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's a sorry state of things...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 20:34
It's a sorry state of things...
:ranton: I blame it all on that ChrisGreaves guy. :burnup: :bwaah: I only ever experience delays when HE is logged in. :rantoff:
I mean! ...
Cheers
BobH

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I don't seem to be affected by the multiple processes for Firefox but it does seem to be a memory hog. I am running 8 Fx tabs as I took the screen shot of Task Manager.
FX.PNG
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

What's this (then)?
20201106.PNG

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The modern browsers Firefox and Chromium based launch separate processes for each tab plus each add-in plus its own main process. These are used to isolate each of those so if one crashes it does not necessarily crash the whole browser. Lots of RAM usage appears to be "just the way it is" now with these apps.
Joe

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 18:03
For the past week or more I have been experiencing long (60+ seconds) in response to Preview or to Submit.
Then there's Murphy; if you spot an error just as you click Submit, then you can be sure it will be posted in a nanosecond, with no delay at all.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I stand (or sit, as the case may be) corrected:
Stand Corrected.PNG
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
06 Nov 2020, 18:12
Then there's Murphy; if you spot an error just as you click Submit, then you can be sure it will be posted in a nanosecond, with no delay at all.
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Cheers
Chris