Folder Tips?

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Folder Tips?

Post by Nick Vittum »

The way you get information if you hover over a file, in Windows Explorer—Didn't you also used to be able to do that with folders? And couldn't you also edit that information in the folder's properties? Have I just dreamed this memory up, or did I somehow disable it in Folder options or somewhere? If I did, I can't find it.
—Nick

I’m only an egg (but hard-boiled)

HansV
Administrator

Re: Folder Tips?

Post by HansV »

I'm using Windows 10, and I get pop-up descriptions for both files and folders. I can turn them off for both and turn them on for both, but not for files or for folders separately...

The setting is in Tools > Folder Options (Windows 7) or File > Options (Windows 10): on the View tab of the dialog, there is a check box 'Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items'.
S3155.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Nick Vittum wrote:.. Have I just dreamed this memory up, ...
Maybe it is a memory from before windows 7? ?
….. a few things in the explorer Window to do with hovering and sorting is something that I miss since, ( I think ) , it was done away with after Vista. It is one of a few reasons why I still like using Vista
HoverFolders.JPG : https://imgur.com/REAR68Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SortOrder.JPG : https://imgur.com/NtOiuzJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have it on my list of thing to do, to write a VBA code to do some of those things that are now missing in explorer , to order in date order for example – that is one I find very useful…
SortOrder 2.JPG : https://imgur.com/jyK9nbc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: I am talking rubbish – see later http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic. ... 98#p265695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 16 Mar 2020, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

HansV wrote:The setting is in Tools > Folder Options (Windows 7) or File > Options (Windows 10): on the View tab of the dialog, there is a check box 'Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items'.
Thank you. And. . . the setting was turned on. But I just discovered something I never knew about Windows (or knew and forgot, which is just as likely) and that is that the tips only show in the main Windows Explorer window—not in the smaller window on the left (navigation pane?), which I use a lot.

However, and even so, I see no way to edit in properties to enter information that's useful and specific to the folder. Am I imagining that part? Or as @DocAelstein suggests, was that in an earlier version of Windows... ? (the further time travels, the more the distinctions between particular times become blurry)
—Nick

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't remember folders having a Details tab in their Properties window, only files.
Best wishes,
Hans

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

HansV wrote:I don't remember folders having a Details tab in their Properties window, only files.
No doubt it was only me, dreaming of what should be.
—Nick

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

Doc.AElstein wrote:I have it on my list of thing to do, to write a VBA code to do some of those things that are now missing in explorer , to order in date order for example – that is one I find very useful…
Alan, you can still order by date. InWin7, anyway, I don't know about 10
—Nick

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can also order by any column in Window 10.
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Thanks Hans, Nick, for the info… Question is How…??
This is what I have in Vista. I can hit that arrow thing and it toggles between ascending and descending order based on the date.
ToggleDateSortVista.JPG : https://imgur.com/MwHZi4o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToggleDateSortVista.JPG
In Windows 7 and Windows 10, I don’t see that option.
NoToggleDateSortWin7.JPG : https://imgur.com/ajaUgxJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NoDateSortToggleInWin10.JPG : https://imgur.com/JUobJeC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I definitely read on the internet a few years ago that this was no longer available after Vista. ( I can’t for life of me find any information on the internet just now about this … strange…. )

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

1) If you work in Details View, as in your screenshot, you can click on a column header such as Name or Date modified to sort on that column. Clicking on the same header again reverses the sort order.
A symbol above the sorted column indicates the sort order: ^ for ascending, ˇ for descending.
S3159.png
2) Right-click in an empty part of the window and you'll see Sort By in the context menu:
S3160.png
3) The View tab of the ribbon has a Sort By dropdown:
S3161.png
So you're spoiled for choice!
Best wishes,
Hans

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

In Win7, at least, you don't even need those steps. Just click on any column heading, and it will automatically sort to that heading. And if you don't like the way the headings are ordered, you can left click/hold and drag them around.

If a header you want is missing, or one is there you don't need, you can add or remove or reorder by right clicking on the header row.
—Nick

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I mentioned that in 1). Please note that the column headers are only visible in Details view, not in any of the other views.
Best wishes,
Hans

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

HansV wrote:I mentioned that in 1). Please note that the column headers are only visible in Details view, not in any of the other views.
Oops. I missed #1. Dyslexic brain.
—Nick

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Thanks Nick. Thanks Hans – Your right, I am spoilt for choice. I’m kicking myself because I missed that – I am sure that I read somewhere that sorting was removed , so that’s why I did not look further…. I possibly misread something. – it may have been referring to something else.
There is no view tab for Vista or Window 7 , but the rest is identical for Vista, Win7 and Win10. So it was very stupid of me to miss that ... ( I put a small edit note on my post to prevent in the future anyone being confused by what I wrote )