Server not found

HansV
Administrator

Re: Server not found

Post by HansV »

I repeat my suggestion to set a different DNS server.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:I repeat my suggestion to set a different DNS server.
I appreciate that Hans but my last post was just to reply to a request by Stuart. Will have a go at your suggestion probably over the weekend.
Thanks all for a lot of help here. It will be solved :evilgrin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Yes, in the command prompt (since it's a program on your computer).

It's a bit more complicated than that, I think, but as I said my understanding of nslookup (and DNS) isn't 100 %. If everything is working, obviously pointing nslookup to another working DNS server should give the expected result.

But as I mentioned in my post, just typing nslookup, or together with an address such as nslookup lanark.co.uk, will either tell you your current DNS server (and move to interactive mode) or use your current DNS server and tell you what it knows about the address (there are optional settings).

If using my VPN, a different connection, it (nslookup) works as expected, and as Stuart showed, but if using "standard config": router gets assigned address and is pointed to servers, and computers use router as "DNS" etc. it (nslookup) doesn't work, server is "unknown" and request times out, as did for Ron, but I can still access everything without problems.

Some have pointed at router as "DNS server" being problem; but if I change DNS server in the properties for that config from 192.168.1.1 (or whatever router is) to actual DNS server it doesn't change the result in nslookup. But with VPN it does work. (There have been some discussions about nslookup on the net, and as I said my understanding isn't 100 %.)

After this thread the DNS servers will go: why is everyone interested in lanark.co.uk? :laugh:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

So your router has IP address 10.0.0.1 and it's DNS server isn't working properly.

The best way to deal with this is to configure a different DNS server. How many different devices do you have? What software are they running (Windows version? Android version? IoS version? etc.). Also what is the exact model of your router, so I can look for the user guide to see if we can reconfigure it.
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Argus wrote:If using my VPN, a different connection, it (nslookup) works as expected, and as Stuart showed, but if using "standard config": router gets assigned address and is pointed to servers, and computers use router as "DNS" etc. it (nslookup) doesn't work, server is "unknown" and request times out, as did for Ron, but I can still access everything without problems.
That said, if I, with that config (no VPN, router acts as gateway and "DNS server" etc.) point nslookup at the router, such as 192.168.1.1 I get an answer for the address.

nslookup lanark.co.uk 192.168.1.1
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.1.1

Icke-auktoritärt svar:
Namn: lanark.co.uk
Address: 193.34.148.219

If I (in the settings) change to, say, my ISP's DNS server or Google's, and run a simple lookup I get unknown and timeouts (shouldn't need to reboot?).

nslookup lanark.co.uk
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Server: UnKnown
Address: fe80: etc.

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Begäran till UnKnown orsakade timeout

Still as I said, no problems, in this case with lanark.co.uk or the webcam, as long as script is allowed (BTW, it's dark, and a bit rainy it seems. :smile:)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Argus wrote:if using "standard config": router gets assigned address and is pointed to servers, and computers use router as "DNS" etc. it (nslookup) doesn't work, server is "unknown" and request times out, as did for Ron, but I can still access everything without problems.
This is normal and nothing to worry about.

nslookup tries to find a name for the DNS server it is using. Many routers do not allocate themselves a DNS name, so when nslookup tries to find the name of (e.g.) 192.168.0.1 it gets an error. This can be ignored, so long as it correctly gets an IP address for the hostname you want to look up.
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Following a night of ‘nightmares’ about Lanark I conclude that I am in total confusion … no comment please! Perhaps my best approach is to throw the home router out the winter (ISP supplied rubbish) and get a decent one … but our ISP implies that we must use theirs because of testing, whatever.

Now … about my confusion:

- I would connect many Bookmark sites and many not, during the course of the average month. Why do I have ‘no access’ to just one site ‘Lanark’.
- Following Hans suggestion to change the DNS server using a Windows 10 pc … does this mean that I need to change each of my devices (Windows 10 and Android … many versions, internet radios, wireless printer) or does a change at one change all. Would I not have to make the changes actually at the router settings.
- I have powered down all devices incl. router and restarted.
- I have flushed the DNS cache
- I have reset the router to factory reset … would this not also reset any captured and saved web sites. Assuming that a factory reset means a clean router then how can this problem still be caused by my router.
- If the problem is not my home router then could it be some settings at the ISP. If so would it not be best to tell them to ‘fix it’.
- I have checked for spyware/Host file
- I lost and got back the W10 search function … but this is not related and just a simple coincidence.
- The router is a Inteno DG 150 but maybe some software changes have been made to the device by our ISP. From searching just now I came across this article which may have useful information.
http://www.twigtechnology.com/blog/2015 ... eno-dg150/
- No Norwegian Trolls have been found!

I am very appreciative of all the advice provided. Apart from setting up routers in the past, my knowledge of DNS/ISP’s and the like is minimal and I certainly do not want to leave myself ‘up the creek without a paddle’, nor do I want to spend numerous hours attempting a fix for one web site that is of no real importance … other than the choice of watching it rain in Lanark when my relatives say it’s beautiful weather!

The bottom line is do I simply take the actions to change the DNS server, using the settings that Han’s has kindly advised and will this make the needed changes to the router such that all my devices will be ‘up and running’ without the need to make numerous other setting changes. I have had a good overnight read about DNS and its likeness to ‘looking up names from phone numbers’ but I am still very much a novice.

Given all the above, if it’s possible to give me a simple answer, such as ‘do as Han’s suggests and all will be well for all devices’ then I would be most grateful. With only one (known) site being an issue I have to say that I am confused … an understatement!

Thanks again for taking such interest in my minor predicament.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

StuartR wrote:
Argus wrote:if using "standard config": router gets assigned address and is pointed to servers, and computers use router as "DNS" etc. it (nslookup) doesn't work, server is "unknown" and request times out, as did for Ron, but I can still access everything without problems.
This is normal and nothing to worry about.

nslookup tries to find a name for the DNS server it is using. Many routers do not allocate themselves a DNS name, so when nslookup tries to find the name of (e.g.) 192.168.0.1 it gets an error. This can be ingored, so long as it correctly gets an IP address for the hostname you want to look up.
Thanks, Stuart.
(I only added my comments on what I see, similar to Ron, in certain scenarios to add some details, not solving my problems. :smile:)

I don't see it being called "unknown" as a problem. What I was trying to say, after introducing nslookup in the thread, was that I find that with "standard config", here, (router gets the public IP, acts as DHCP, "DNS server" etc., and devices get assigned addresses in some reserved space, such as 192.168.1.2-etc.) I can't do:
  • nslookup (no parameters, should tell you current DNS server, and stay in interactive mode), timeout and I receive an IPv6 address (for what is supposed to be the DNS server),
  • nslookup NAME1 (simple lookup without adding NAME2, i.e. without pointing it at a DNS server), same as above, timeout, 4 requests, and an IPv6 address for what is supposed to be the DNS server.
However, if I add NAME2, which is interpreted, as you know, as a DNS server, I get a quick reply.
Such as, nslookup google.com 192.168.1.1, or nslookup google.com 8.8.8.8, or nslookup google.com <my ISP's DNS server>.

So, what would Ron see if he did a:
nslookup lanark.co.uk 10.0.0.1

and compared that with, say:
nslookup google.com 10.0.0.1

(If 10.0.0.1 is what he sees for DNS in the properties for the connection.)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ron, your router and - for example - your Windows 10 PC can each specify two DNS servers. By default, they will use your ISP's DNS servers.
As far as I know, if you specify different DNS servers on both the router and on your PC, the PC's settings will overrule those of the router.

You could start by setting (for example) the Google DNS servers on your Windows 10 PC. This should only take a minute or two.
If you can then visit the Lanark site on the PC, you know that this works. After that, you could specify those DNS servers for your router, so that all devices connected to it will use them.
If it doesn't work, there is no reason to panic - just set IP4 to obtain DNS servers automatically, and you'll be using your ISP's servers again.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Ron, as Hans said, using CloudFlare DNS is simple, for Firefox see here:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... over-https
and follow the instructions under:
1) 'Manually Enabling and disabling DNS-over-HTTPS'
2) 'Switching providers'

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for simple instructions :fanfare:
I will follow these in a few days time because I have a priority to deal with that is not related. Will post when I have successfully 'viewed Lanark' ... if the webcam is still transmitting after the severe storm heading for the UK.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Managed to take a few minutes to change my own pc and I see blue sky at Lanark :grin:
Server.jpg
I will have to try at the router another time though it seems that my ISP does not make router Admin available.
What I do not understand is why does the ISP set router DNS not cause problems for all web sites ... I have only experienced it at 'Lanark' which used to be OK until a few weeks ago :scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't know why, but such things happen. A few years ago I suddenly couldn't reach some sites while others loaded without problem. Switching to other DNS Servers solved it instantly.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

RonH wrote:Managed to take a few minutes to change my own pc and I see blue sky at Lanark :grin:
:thumbup:
There can be some different explanations if not being able to reach a site on the web (when it's up and running & accessible for other). I know one case where one small company here decided to block visits from one ISP.

As for the router, as you mentioned, the ones you get from ISPs are not always that good ...; I just looked, I missed your link to the blog earlier, seems to be rather spot on your problem, good find. (As also mentioned in the blog, if using DSL there are perhaps not that many options.) But you can't log in as admin with your router? As Stuart mentioned above, that's often the best method.

Anyhow, if it's working on one computer now, you could try nslookup again, and if you know the IP address to your ISP's DNS server you can compare.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Argus wrote:
RonH wrote:Managed to take a few minutes to change my own pc and I see blue sky at Lanark :grin:
:thumbup:
There can be some different explanations if not being able to reach a site on the web (when it's up and running & accessible for other). I know one case where one small company here decided to block visits from one ISP.

As for the router, as you mentioned, the ones you get from ISPs are not always that good ...; I just looked, I missed your link to the blog earlier, seems to be rather spot on your problem, good find. (As also mentioned in the blog, if using DSL there are perhaps not that many options.) But you can't log in as admin with your router? As Stuart mentioned above, that's often the best method.

Anyhow, if it's working on one computer now, you could try nslookup again, and if you know the IP address to your ISP's DNS server you can compare.
Thanks for post, Argus. Yes I have tried various Name/Password including ADMIN and none give me access. No big deal, I am OK with just my pc 'Lanark', given that I never (so far) have failed to find any other sites I want to visit. I guess that its OK to use different DNS's at various of my devices? I do have another router from Belkin which is still in use, connected to the Inteno router so that I can still use a good internet radio that unfortunately requires a less secure WEP or WPA WiFi security, not now available with modern routers. To get reasonable courage with the Inteno I have used the Belkin Extender which connects up and covers OK. Will have to think of replacing routers or simply getting modern fibre with a decent router. Its only money ... :laugh:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, it's OK to use different DNS servers on different devices.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:Yes, it's OK to use different DNS servers on different devices.
Tusen takk Hans
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

StuartR wrote:This is normal and nothing to worry about.

nslookup tries to find a name for the DNS server it is using. Many routers do not allocate themselves a DNS name, so when nslookup tries to find the name of (e.g.) 192.168.0.1 it gets an error. This can be ingored, so long as it correctly gets an IP address for the hostname you want to look up.
Argus wrote:I don't see it being called "unknown" as a problem. What I was trying to say, after introducing nslookup in the thread, was that I find that with "standard config", here, (router gets the public IP, acts as DHCP, "DNS server" etc., and devices get assigned addresses in some reserved space, such as 192.168.1.2-etc.) I can't do:
  • nslookup (no parameters, should tell you current DNS server, and stay in interactive mode), timeout and I receive an IPv6 address (for what is supposed to be the DNS server),
  • nslookup NAME1 (simple lookup without adding NAME2, i.e. without pointing it at a DNS server), same as above, timeout, 4 requests, and an IPv6 address for what is supposed to be the DNS server.
However, if I add NAME2, which is interpreted, as you know, as a DNS server, I get a quick reply.
Such as, nslookup google.com 192.168.1.1, or nslookup google.com 8.8.8.8, or nslookup google.com <my ISP's DNS server>.
The solution to my off-topic problem, timeouts when using nslookup without NAME2, i.e. without pointing it at a specific DNS server (similar to but probably not the same as Ron's timeouts), seems to be (in that case, non-VPN) to disable IPv6 in the properties for the connection (or, as it seems, disable and enable it again).

(It also solved the problem with it not using DNS servers entered in the IPv4 properties.)
:coffeetime: