Server not found

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Server not found

Post by Argus »

Hosts file looks fine (unless one would like to add anything to block).

As Hans said changing DNS server would be one quick way to check (but I don't know why anyone would want to use Google DNS in the long run, unless they already run Android or Chrome on all devices :grin: :sorry:).

(Wonder if proxy settings would have an impact on this?)

What if you use nslookup? How about trying as a test, not changing anything, looking up the address using another DNS server.

Type and press Enter in a command prompt: nslookup lanark.co.uk 8.8.8.8

This will look up the address using Google's DNS server.

The command below will use the DNS server you currently use. I'm not good at nslookup, but if you have a router that is set to use, for example, your ISP's DNS server, and your computer use the router as DNS then you might not get a response (request time out). (See if Stuart might want to comment.)
nslookup lanark.co.uk
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

In reply to Hans
I have restarted pc and also restored to an earlier Restore Point. No change to Search blank. Now, on reflection I have a 'feeling' that I got to the Host file by typing into Search instead of Run :scratch: But this would not change anything would it? However the Search function subsequently did not function ... coincidence maybe?

Regards attachments ... once I have uploaded one (which does not show until I Preview) I cannot access the Upload Attachment link because its position is hidden. This is using the Secure web address but I notice that you are replying on Not Secure. I will redo my bookmark to this which should solve my problem.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

In reply to Argus.

To double check if it is my internet ISP whatever I will first check when I am out and connect to an open WiFi. Should I still get the same result then I think my next move will be to check if for some reason this site is being nationally blocked 'somewhere' ... if such a thing exists in Norway. Doubtful!
Will post the result.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

See this Hans ... looks like a Search coincidence after all!
https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/02/0 ... k-results/
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

RonH wrote:... to check if for some reason this site is being nationally blocked 'somewhere' ... if such a thing exists in Norway.
Maybe it's blocked by a mountain (with a troll, a Mountain King, inside). :smile:

Of course, since you, as I interpreted it, experienced this with computers and mobiles using cable? and wi-fi at home you could try another network, wi-fi, or mobile data. But try the test as per above.

(As for search, completely unrelated I would say; saw you, Hans et al discussed that in September, I think, problem with MSFT's updates.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Argus wrote:
RonH wrote:... to check if for some reason this site is being nationally blocked 'somewhere' ... if such a thing exists in Norway.
Maybe it's blocked by a mountain (with a troll, a Mountain King, inside). :smile:

Of course, since you, as I interpreted it, experienced this with computers and mobiles using cable? and wi-fi at home you could try another network, wi-fi, or mobile data. But try the test as per above.

(As for search, completely unrelated I would say; saw you, Hans et al discussed that in September, I think, problem with MSFT's updates.)
Thanks Angus ... I will check 'external Wifi' and then try the test.

Regards the Search failure on my pc today ... it was a pure coincidence and in no way related to 'Server not Found' thread but it seemed so at the time :innocent:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ron, the article that you linked to suggests to create/change two registry entries.
I had already done so a long time ago using O&O Shutup10, so I currently don't experience problems with Windows Search. (I did have problems last September)
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I just did a quick read of the article, and noticed it was from today, but then saw this with disabling Cortana and Bing integration with Taskbar/Start search and thought about O&O Shutup10 having seen something similar there for some time. Thanks for confirmation.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Argus wrote:I just did a quick read of the article, and noticed it was from today, but then saw this with disabling Cortana and Bing integration with Taskbar/Start search and thought about O&O Shutup10 having seen something similar there for some time. Thanks for confirmation.
Apologies Hans/Argus ... I should have said that it was a today post I linked. I will stress until Microsoft issue a fix :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No need to apologize! I disabled Bing search for other reasons - not because Search didn't work...
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Argus wrote:Type and press Enter in a command prompt: nslookup lanark.co.uk 8.8.8.8
The command below will use the DNS server you currently use. I'm not good at nslookup, but if you have a router that is set to use, for example, your ISP's DNS server, and your computer use the router as DNS then you might not get a response (request time out). (See if Stuart might want to comment.)
nslookup lanark.co.uk
This looks like a good way to check if the issue is with the default DNS server to me. Here is the (correct) output that I get from trying that
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for this graphic info, Stuart.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:No need to apologize! I disabled Bing search for other reasons - not because Search didn't work...
Search OK again ... update issued which must have been included in the security update I just downloaded this morning.
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51389623
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Interesting - I didn't have the problem, and I didn't get an update...
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Trying suggested (Argus/Stuart) this is what I get ... I will try to get to an external WiFi later today to check access
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

That is the response you get from the Google DNS server. What happens if you just type

Code: Select all

nslookup lanark.co.uk
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Stuart
Just typing in the browser ... nslookup lanark.co.uk I get:
https://www.google.com/search?q=nslooku ... e&ie=UTF-8

and then clicking on The Lanark Website:
Lanark.jpg
What is this meaning? I am not familiar with your post: 'Code Select All'
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This means that the DNS server you're using isn't working correctly, while Google's DNS server at 8.8.8.8 does work.

I strongly recommend specifying the Cloudflarenet or Google DNS servers as I suggested in Post=263730[/url]. It's quite easy!
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

RonH wrote:Stuart
Just typing in the browser ... nslookup lanark.co.uk I get:
https://www.google.com/search?q=nslooku ... e&ie=UTF-8
You should have typed this into a command prompt, not a browser. Just like you did the similar command
nslookup lanark.co.uk 8.8.8.8
earlier.

It does look as though your default DNS server is not working, but I would like to see the output of this command to be sure.
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

[/quote]
You should have typed this into a command prompt, not a browser. Just like you did the similar command
nslookup lanark.co.uk 8.8.8.8
earlier.

It does look as though your default DNS server is not working, but I would like to see the output of this command to be sure.[/quote]

This is the result Stuart:
Inteno request.jpg
I should have mentioned that I did a complete factory reset of the router before making this test.
Also as expected, the lanark cam showed beautiful weather when I checked today on an external WiFi router. This is the only site that I seem to have trouble with ... its not important that I can see a wave from my relatives but I guess the issue could affect other web sites that I am not presently visiting?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.