PDF file permission

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

PDF file permission

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Dear Community,

I have a one PDF file and I am trying to reduce the file size with acrobat. But it shows that some kind of error like I don't have a special permission to perform this task. Then I check with properties. I don't have a special permission. But if I trying to change this option I couldn't. I tried the following steps

1) I took ownership with registry edit
2) I tried with advance setting change permission option. But if I go with advance setting I am having all permissions. But if I see in normal view it shows that I don't have a special permission and this check box is disabled.

Kindly help me to figure it out what is the problem with this file. Here I have attached screenshot for your reference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: PDF file permission

Post by Rudi »

Do you have Adobe Acrobat Pro? I doubt you will be able to reduce the file size via Windows? You'd need to either edit the content of the file or use a compressor like 7Zip.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BOOBALAN.V wrote:...I have a one PDF file and I am trying to reduce the file size with acrobat. But it shows that some kind of error like I don't have a special permission to perform this task...
What is the error message?

It might be that the PDF file was protected to prevent it being changed when it was created, i.e. the problem might not be a Windows permissions problem but an Acrobat security problem. What happens when you:
1) Open the file in Acrobat
2) Click 'Protect' from the Tools panel (on the right hand side)
3) Click 'More Options' from the Protect toolbar (at the top)
4) Click 'Document Properties' and look on the 'Security' tab
5) In that tab, the bottom half lists what a user can and cannot do to the file, see screen capture:
acrobatDocPropSecSettingsDialog.jpg
Note too, there is also a 'Change Settings' button in that tab but you need to know the password that was used when the PDF was created to access the settings dialog.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Thank you so much for your kind reply sir. You are right sir. That PDF file is signed copy. That's why I couldn't able to reduce that file size. Is there any way to edit the file in this case. Kindly tell me sir.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No - the entire idea of signing the file is to prevent others from tampering with it in any way, including reducing its size.
Best wishes,
Hans

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Thank you so much sir.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

BOOBALAN.V wrote:... That PDF file is signed copy. That's why I couldn't able to reduce that file size. Is there any way to edit the file in this case. Kindly tell me sir.
If the existing permissions allow you to print it, you could try printing to another PDF printer, which may allow you to manipulate whatever it is you want to.

(I use both PDFCreator and Foxit to create PDF files - depending on the source material, they appear to offer differing compression. I find PDF Creator will allow it to be used as a printer for encrypted files, but Foxit will not. Your mileage may vary...)
Leif

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

I have several types of accounts with my financial institution and they issue electronic monthly statements. A few months back I got into a file-cleanup-mode and decided to create single PDF files for each account by year. I tried the “combine” feature in Foxit PhantomPDF and was stymied because the individual files were “tamper-proof”. The solution I found was to use Foxit PhantomPDF (Standard) to print the original PDF files using the “print-to-PDF” feature in Foxit and was then able the combine the freshly created files and subsequently reduce the overall size.

I will admit that I am not aware what security features my bank has attached to their electronic statements, but my work around did the trick.

I do not know if the free version of Foxit has the features needed ... but my paid version of Foxit PhantomPDF Standard worked nicely. They also have a Business version with a few extra features. I used Adobe Acrobat Pro for many years but gave it up due to the high costs of upgrades and maintenance. The Foxit solution fit the bill.
Regards,
Bob

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:...the entire idea of signing the file is to prevent others from tampering with it...
To expand on this reply by Hans.

One of the outputs of the team I work in is a digitally signed PDF that allows no changes. Our customers pay a sizeable sum of money for these PDF files hence we secure them to ensure the integrity of the file is maintained and our customers can be sure that the PDF is a genuine report from my organisation. If someone was do as as been suggested in this thread and re-print one of our files to a new PDF then, as that would break the digital signature, we would disown that new version of the file, i.e the new version would be worthless; they could not use it for the purpose for which they bought it.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobArch2 wrote:...my work around did the trick...
Yes but if you ever had reason to go back to your bank and challenge the contents of the statements, they would almost certainly do as my organisation does and not accept your version of the PDF as a true record of the statements they originally produced, since you tampered with their tamper proofing.

Of course someone as decent as you will not have messed with the contents of the statements so their originals would agree with your copies but supposing they only retain their copies for five years but you find a mistake in a six year old statement? Without your copy of the untampered original you'd be stuffed.

In other words, there can be very good reasons for not messing with files that have been secured to prevent change.

Ken
PS that's not to say I've never by-passed security on a file :innocent:

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

stuck wrote:
BobArch2 wrote:...my work around did the trick...
Yes but if you ever had reason to go back to your bank and challenge the contents of the statements, they would almost certainly do as my organisation does and not accept your version of the PDF as a true record of the statements they originally produced, since you tampered with their tamper proofing.

Of course someone as decent as you will not have messed with the contents of the statements so their originals would agree with your copies but supposing they only retain their copies for five years but you find a mistake in a six year old statement? Without your copy of the untampered original you'd be stuffed.

In other words, there can be very good reasons for not messing with files that have been secured to prevent change.

Ken
PS that's not to say I've never by-passed security on a file :innocent:
Ahhhh, me's not worried! :grin: Some would say I have OCD tendencies but I would protest loudly. Just because I sign on to my financial web sites once or twice a day and check for activity does not invoke OCD. :hairout:
And when monthly electronic statements are made available they are checked closely. Why? Because at my age I want to ensure they are accurate. I even download all my banking transactions to my Money Manager (MS Money Plus Deluxe (2007) on a weekly basis for reconciliation. Besides, I have lots of time on my hands having been retired for 16+ years! :grin:

I even follow the same procedures for my 101 year young mother's accounts. As Trustee and Mandatary (Quebec) of her affairs, one cannot be too careful. :laugh:

I have only archived previous year's PDF financial statements and only access them for reference purposes when needed.

I previously stated I did not know what security measures my financial institutions attached to their statements. I checked out the properties and it looks to be pretty standard.
BAStatement.jpg
P.S. Thanks for the "decency" observation. :thumbup:
Regards,
Bob