Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Hello,
I can sign in to my Aol mail account using FF or Chrome. (both latest installed versions)
When trying it in FF portable it gave the error as wrong password. (I use copy & paste to enter it.)
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

HansV
Administrator

Re: Log In using a portable app

Post by HansV »

I have moved this topic from the Windows 7 forum to the Firefox forum.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Ted Myers wrote:...I use copy & paste to enter it...
Do you do that just for FF portable or do you also do that when logging in to the other two browsers you mention?

If you only use copy and paste on FF portable then how do you select the password before you copy it? Sometimes when you double click to select text, although it looks like you've just selected just the text, you also get an extra space character on the end, which means when you paste you are pasting the password + a space = the wrong password and so the login fails.

Ken

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Hello Ken, I always use copy/paste to enter all my passwords as the are very secure & complicated to remember.
After pasting, I ensure the cursor is exactly next to the last character.
Since my opening post, I have cleared all recent history in FF portable. Also tried G Chrome portable, status quo!

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Are you using an old copy of FF portable that has been used with another email address?
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Ted Myers wrote:After pasting, I ensure the cursor is exactly next to the last character.
But my point was about the way you select the password. Certain ways of selecting can result in a hidden character being added to the selection thus there's no point ensuring the cursor is "exactly next to the last character" after you've pasted. The damage is already done, the password you've pasted is incorrect, because it has the extra character on the end.

Ken

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Hello Ken, I have used copy/paste for my passwords for a long time. This is the first time it failed. I did notice AOL was unobtainable in FF & G Chrome installed versions) for a short time today. It's now back online but still not accessible using POP3 & IMAP.