Warning displayed in partition creator

jmt356
SilverLounger

Warning displayed in partition creator

Post by jmt356 »

I have 335 GB of unallocated space on my hard drive following an upgrade to a 1 TB HD. I went into Disk Management, right-clicked on the unallocated space, chose New Simple Volume, and followed the Wizard to creat a 335 GB NTFS data volume. I ticked on Perform a quick format.

At the end of the Wizard, the following warning appears:
The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s) (except the current boot volume). Are you sure you want to continue?

If I select Yes, will my laptop be rendered unbootable?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Warning displayed in partition creator

Post by HansV »

The current boot volume will not be affected, so your laptop should still be bootable.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I created the partition on around 13 May. Today, I went to backup the hard disk using Acronis True Image Home. The following error displayed:
E000101F4: Acronis True Image Home has detected unsupported hard disk drives. Acronis True Image Home does not support Windows Dynamic Disks, EZ-Drives, etc.

It appears the only choice I currently have is to delete the entire disk, convert it to Simple, and then restore the most recent True Image backup image that I took before I created the partition on 13 May and converted the disk to dynamic. Is this correct?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't use Acronis True Image, so I'll leave it to someone who does to help you.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

What version of Acronis True Image do you have? Acronis has supported dynamic disks for a long time. See for example their Knowledge base article 6533
Acronis wrote: This article applies to:
  • Acronis True Image 2016, Acronis True Image Cloud
  • Acronis True Image 2015
  • Acronis True Image 2014 Premium
  • True Image 2013 by Acronis Plus Pack
Description

You can back up and restore dynamic disks both in Windows or from Acronis Bootable Media. In terms of dynamic disks and backup or restore, the product functions are the same when run in Windows or from Acronis Bootable Media:
  • You can back up a dynamic disk and restore it to a dynamic disk. As a result, you will have a dynamic disk;
  • You can back up a dynamic disk and restore it to a basic disk. As a result, you will have a basic disk.
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

In Help | About, it states Version 11, build 8101. That appears to be a 2008 version.

In 2013, I upgraded to Acronis True Image 2013.

In 2015, I upgraded to Acronis True Image 2015 for PC and Acronis Universal Restore.

I am thus not sure why it is showing that i have Version 11 in Help | About.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If you have version 11 then I am not surprised that it doesn't support dynamic disks. It sounds as though you haven't installed all those updates properly.

Even the 2015 version is pretty old by now. Have you considered just buying a license for Acronis True Image 2019?
StuartR