Puzzling prompt

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Puzzling prompt

Post by Dave Davison »

For no apparent reason the prompt in the screen shot appears when I switch on, simply clicking the x in the top right corner gets rid of the prompt and hitting the Firefox tab opens the browser without providing the "more information" that is being asked for. What might have caused this prompt to appear, what info might it be requiring and can it be prevented from appearing in the first place please? :scratch: :scratch: :thankyou: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Puzzling prompt

Post by StuartR »

This may be a timing issue, if your internet connection takes a few seconds to become available after you start up your computer.
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Stuart, I'll just ignore it rather than click the "x" and see if it disappears after a while.....Thanks Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:...I'll just ignore it rather than click the "x" and see if it disappears after a while...
It probably will.

I see that pop-up when I'm staying in a hotel, where Internet access is via their free wifi but it's not a completely open network. The pop-up appears at the point in the boot sequence when the network adaptor has detected and connected to the hotel wifi network and also sensed that the onward connection to the outside world is restricted in some way.

It thus helpfully pops-up a messge to let me know that, before I can browse the web pages I want to look at, I might need to first visit the hotel's wifi home page and enter some login details. The pop-up also helpfully includes a shortcut to open my browser and go straight to that login page. If I don't use that shortcut and instead I use my normal desktop shortcut for Firefox then Firefox automatically tries to go to my home page, and fails, because I've not logged in via the hotel's login page.

In your case, as Stuart has said, it will be a timing thing. Your network adapter has connected to your home wifi before your system has made the onward connection to your Internet Service Provider. This means it thinks access to the outside world is not available so it pops-up a messge to let you know you might need extra login details. However, the delay is obviously only slight so by the time you actually get as far as opening Firefox, everything is connected up and it just works as you'd expect.

As to why your PC is suddenly taking a bit longer than previously to get connected to your ISP, I've no idea. Having said that, you might want to run a full virus scan and then run something like a Malwarebytes scan to check nothing undesirable has found it's way onto your machine.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Ken .....will do as you suggest and see if it makes any difference....Cheers Dave.