Why Office 365 Activation Again?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Why Office 365 Activation Again?

Post by HansV »

Unless it is an OEM license that is linked to one specific computer, you should be able to install and activate Office 2010 on another computer. If the license key isn't accepted, call Microsoft support and explain the situation. From what I've heard, they will help you to activate Office.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Lost my reply, think I hit Submit when Hans was posting.
But so far I have installed it onto 3 machines without any problems.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... oad/office
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

hlewton wrote: My question is; since I scrapped the 2 old computers using 1 lenience each are you saying I could still use those licensees even though they were once activated on other computers? I do still have the DVDs plus the lenience keys for each installation but I thought MS kept track of those keys and would not allow activation on other machines.
In all likelihood, you can still use these packages. During the installation procedure when you are required to activate the software, choose to activate by phone, rather than via the internet. Once you are connected to a Microsoft rep, a simple explanation (about the original computers being scrapped) will usually suffice. I have done this on several occasions, and each time the rep has been very polite, obliging and accommodating. Good luck.

Oops! I see that Hans and Ron have both beat me to it. :blush:
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Unless it is an OEM license that is linked to one specific computer, you should be able to install and activate Office 2010 on another computer. If the license key isn't accepted, call Microsoft support and explain the situation. From what I've heard, they will help you to activate Office.
Thanks for the information.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

RonH wrote:Lost my reply, think I hit Submit when Hans was posting.
But so far I have installed it onto 3 machines without any problems.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... oad/office
Thanks for the information and link.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rebel wrote:
hlewton wrote: My question is; since I scrapped the 2 old computers using 1 lenience each are you saying I could still use those licensees even though they were once activated on other computers? I do still have the DVDs plus the lenience keys for each installation but I thought MS kept track of those keys and would not allow activation on other machines.
In all likelihood, you can still use these packages. During the installation procedure when you are required to activate the software, choose to activate by phone, rather than via the internet. Once you are connected to a Microsoft rep, a simple explanation (about the original computers being scrapped) will usually suffice. I have done this on several occasions, and each time the rep has been very polite, obliging and accommodating. Good luck.

Oops! I see that Hans and Ron have both beat me to it. :blush:
Thanks for the information. Not sure I'll need the good luck since I will continue to use Office 365 but was curious and you guys answered my question.
Regards,
hlewton

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

This is theory only, as I haven't tried it... When you install Office 2010 on a new(er) computer, using the disk and the product key, there's still an additional step called 'activation' (https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 7f5a140f46" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). In olden days, the program would ask the Mother Ship (the activation server) whether the license is OK and either mark the package as activated or complain. In the latter case, including a license that's still apparently in use, you would use telephone activation as described in the article.

The sticky part is that I'm not sure whether the activation server still handles Office 2010, so you may wind up using telephone activation even for an unused license key. As it says at the start of the article, "you might receive this error: Telephone activation is no longer supported for your product." It doesn't actually say that error is bogus, but I think it is.

Rebel
4StarLounger

Post by Rebel »

Jay Freedman wrote: The sticky part is that I'm not sure whether the activation server still handles Office 2010, so you may wind up using telephone activation even for an unused license key. As it says at the start of the article, "you might receive this error: Telephone activation is no longer supported for your product." It doesn't actually say that error is bogus, but I think it is.
If you receive the "Telephone activation is no longer supported for your product" message, this MS article provides working telephone numbers for most countries.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Jay Freedman and Rebel that is interesting information. Seems MS posts that message to discourage the use of product you have paid good money for and not sure how we would have found a work around like is posted here n our own.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

Rebel
4StarLounger

Post by Rebel »

hlewton wrote:Jay Freedman and Rebel that is interesting information. Seems MS posts that message to discourage the use of product you have paid good money for and not sure how we would have found a work around like is posted here n our own.Thanks.
Actually, a simple Google on "activate Office 2007" led me to several articles on the subject of using older versions of MS products. I think, rather than trying to "discourage the use of product you have paid good money for", it is more likely that MS may be trying to (understandably) discourage use of products which are no longer supported, and which MIGHT pose security issues. Also, the article which offers the activation phone numbers was posted on the Microsoft Support site.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

The Microsoft link I gave above to Office 2010 etc allowed me to download and install the product on a new W10 pc ...making it the 3rd pc using my licence key.
No issues arising and the software was subsequently updated through Windows Updates.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.