Windows Live Mail on Windows 10

RonH
SilverLounger

Windows Live Mail on Windows 10

Post by RonH »

About to purchase W10 pc but my lady wants WLM 2012 as the mail client, being very similar to what she has been using ... Vista Mail.

Anyone with experience of this combination and knows of safe site from where it can be downloaded?
Thanks Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Windows Live Mail on Windows 10

Post by John Gray »

Has she tried the Mail application which comes with WIndows 10?
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

WLM should work on Windows 10, but it may have to be run in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Microsoft ended support for WLM in January of 2017, and they don't make it available for download anymore. You'd have to be very careful if you decide to download it from another source.

I would recommend going with a supported email client, such as the Windows Mail that comes with Windows 10, Mozilla Thunderbird, or for a truly retro experience, OE Classic (there is a standard version and a paid pro version)
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks John & Hans for replies.

No she is not familiar with Windows 10 mail but I am ... though I choose to use T'bird which is a bit more complex. I think I will have to try to convince her to go with Windows Mail which does now have the facility for multiple Local Folders/Sub Folders. Its not so easy to use as WLM and has the disadvantage that if you have more than one email then you cannot have just one Local Folder for a 'subject' but one for each email address.

I agree that its somewhat unwise to install an unsupported mail system and it would not be my choice ... gonna have to put on my best 'sales suit' and convince the boss :thumbup:

EDIT. I also have multiple emails including an Outlook.com. I can't recall if you must have an outlook.com account to use Windows 10 & their Mail?
I think its only if you log on to Windows 10 using a Microsoft account with an Outlook.com
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, you can use Windows 10 with a local (non email) account, although Microsoft will do its utmost to switch to an Outlook.com account.
And Windows Mail can be used with any email account.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Yep, understood.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

RonH wrote:...convince the boss...
Sometimes convincing is not the way to go, sometimes you just have to do it.

I ran Outlook Express on Win 98 and then XP, i.e. many more years than I should have done so that was what my good lady wife was used to. When I finally progressed to Win 10 I switched to Outlook 2016, which is a very different beast but, crucially, visually it's not that different from OE so my better half hardly noticed the transition. She has an Inbox, Sent Items etc. and all the hierarchical folder structure she had in OE (thank you Mailstore Home). As an added bonus, she can switch to another email account we have simply by selecting its Inbox from the folder pane. In OE she had to 'Switch Identity' to get to those folders. The only thing that irritates her is finding that I've accidentally had her Inbox selected when I've sent a message, meaning she finds a message she didn't send in her Sent Items.

Which is a long way of suggesting you set her up with what you are using, Thunderbird. Having only one mail client will make it much easier for you to mange things and almost certainly easier for you to teach her how to use the new interface, since TB is already very familiar to you.

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Good points, Ken. My, you are so brave :grin: When long into 'senior citizen' changes are sometimes very challenging :sad:

Certainly T'bird is a great product together with Mailstore as the 'backup'. I presently don't have my (seldom used) POP3 account within T'bird due to recent compatibility issues with the POP3 provider's new update. But doubtless that has now been solved. The lady uses the same provider for her email address, though I am trying to get her to adopt Gmail.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just to end on a happy note :clapping:
Today we purchased a laptop for my lady ... Lenovo brand and being lazy I got the superstore to change screen display language to English with the needed Norwegian keyboard layout. I am now one happy chappie ... having spent so much time 'oiling' the Vista over past months and listening to the various groans from my lady when a programme gets really s l o w and her shouts of help :grin:

Vista has been a good worker (11 years old), still works and we will keep it just for now to use for experiments when the need calls. I have read a lot of complaints about this software but its been quite OK for the normal office work/emails/surfing activities that one does.

But I now have the challenge of setting her new pc up and deleting/installing various programmes ... plus getting rid of bloatware. Gonna use Defender/Malwarebytes. McAfee pre-installed but not activated is no more :evilgrin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good luck!
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

A happy lady makes for good contentment.
Have a :wine: on me. :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.