Moving from Ofc 2007 to Ofc 365

dasadler
5StarLounger

Moving from Ofc 2007 to Ofc 365

Post by dasadler »

Okay, I have decided to take the plunge and move from Office 2007 to Office 365. I know that will entail installing Office 2016 on my desktop. Over the years I have customized Word, Outlook, and Excel thanks to all the great folks here on Woody's (and now Eileen's) lounge. These include macros linked to icons and menu items, UDFs, and templates.

I would like to preserve all these customizations and transfer them to Office 2016 when installed. I honestly don't remember all the customizations so is there a methodology anyone might suggest as to how I can preserve them for use in Office 2016?
Don

HansV
Administrator

Re: Moving from Ofc 2007 to Ofc 365

Post by HansV »

If you don't remove Office 2007 before installing the new version, Office 2016/365 should automatically transfer your settings.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

In addition to Hans's advice, I like to back up both my ribbon and QAT customization, esp. if you have made a number of personal modifications to these. (NOTE: This only backs up the buttons, not the macros behind the buttons, so make sure to export or back up these separately for the VB Editor of the various Office Apps.)

Backing up the ribbon and QAT produces a "Excel Customizations.exportedUI" file (Excel example). Later, you can re-import these customization and reconnect the macros to these buttons.

This is only necessary if things go awry in the migration though!
20180315_66.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Thank you for the advice. Just prior to going to Office 365/2016 I am upgrading my hard drive to a 1Tb SSD so I will first clone my existing drive then begin my office change and I will not remove Office 2007 until I have installed Office 2016. A few questions, though:

1) I have been told that installing Office 2016 will automatically remove Office 2007 (or other versions of Office). Is this true or would it actually be possible to have both? Not that I would want to.... just asking.

2) I currently have Visio 2007 Pro and I cannot afford to buy the Visio 2016 Pro (or any version). In any case, since I use it so infrequently I cannot justify the cost. Is it possible to keep Visio 2007 yet remove all the other Office 2007 components? If so, how would I do that? BTW, I do not currently use any Visio/Office integration or interaction... I just use Visio as a stand alone application.

3) Rudi, do I understand that backing up both the ribbon and QAT customizations must be done individually for each Office application? Also, what is the procedure for exporting or backing up macros through the VB Editor of the various Office Apps?

4) Hans, when you said installing Office 2016/365 should automatically transfer the settings, does that include macros as well (related to question 3)?
Don

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

1) It's possible to keep Office 2007; I think there is an option for that if you select custom installation.
2) You should be able to keep Visio 2007 Pro. If you remove Office 2007, you may have to reinstall Visio 2007; do this before installing Office 365.
3 and 4) Macros and customizations are stored in your user profile, not in the program folder, so they should not be affected. I didn't lose any of these when I upgraded from 2007 to 2010, from 2010 to 2013 or from 2013 to 2016.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

3) Since you are upgrading, Hans's advice is sound, and you should not have to do these backups.

I just added my two cents as I have had to do this in the past because my work laptop is upgraded periodically by our IT department running upgrade images that they push to my PC remotely. These unfortunately wipe my drive and reinstall the updated software, so I don't have the luxury of these automatic preservations of ribbon and macros. I am forced to export my ribbon customization and export my macros to text files (per application).
Regards,
Rudi

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Thanks again - got it.

Rudi - Not to belabor the point as I understand what you are saying with respect to exporting customizations. When I read Hans and your first replies I was thinking that I may not need to export the customizations after all but then it occurred to me that it might be a good way to share my customizations with someone else. Hence my question.

I am thinking that if I can export these customizations then I may be able to email the exported file to someone who could then import it and have the same customization as me.

Maybe there is not a way to export the VB code... seems like there should be, though. I guess, if nothing else, I could copy/paste into a text file then it could be copied/pasted into an Office application VB editor.
Don

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Word: macros that are available to all documents are stored in your default template Normal.dotm, in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates.
Excel: macros that are available to all workbooks are stored in your personal macro workbook Personal.xlsb, in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART.
Outlook: macros are stored in VbaProject.otm in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook.
Best wishes,
Hans

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Perfect - thank you very much.
Don

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX Hans.
Regards,
Rudi

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

In the VBA editor of each Office program, you can right-click each module and choose Export File. For plain macros, that produces a .bas file that's really just a text file of the code with a single-line header that identifies the module. For a userform, you get two files: a .frm text file with the code, and a .frx binary file with the form layout and controls. On another computer, you can right-click a project and choose Import File, and select the file to import (for a userform, you select the .frm and it automatically includes the .frx).

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Thanks Jay - good to know.
Don