Unable to upgrade to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10

jmt356
SilverLounger

Unable to upgrade to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10

Post by jmt356 »

I cannot upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

WINDOWS 8.1 UPGRADE
I try to install Windows 8.1 by going to the Store and clicking Update Windows, but the message, "Sorry, this update has been blocked by your system Administrator" is displayed.

I Googled this and found this forum, https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... proinstall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, which states that I should:
"Go to Control Panel ---> Programs. Then under Programs and Features, you'll see a link called "View Installed Updates". Under Microsoft Windows, scroll until you find KB2871389. Uninstall it, and then accept the prompt to reboot your computer."

I followed these instructions, but it seems KB2871389 was not uninstalled. I noticed a message during the reboot stating, "Failure configuring Windows Updates" and after rebooting, KB2871389 was still installed, or at least it was visible under "View installed updates." Moreover, the message "Sorry, this update has been blocked by your system Administrator" continued to be displayed in the Store.

WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE
Next, I tried to upgrade to Windows 10.

It seems Windows is no longer offering free Windows 10 upgrades. When I go to http://www.eileenslounge.com/posting.ph ... 7e#preview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, the only relevant link I get is "Learn why you should upgrade to Windows 10, but selecting that option only takes me to a page that explains all of the benefits of Windows 10, without providing a way to upgrade.

There are some pages that suggest backdoor ways to get Windows 10 for free. However, I am not sure if they work. For example, CNet has a page at https://www.cnet.com/how-to/microsoft-w ... -features/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that describes how to get Windows 10 for free, but it was published almost a year ago in Aug. 2016 and I am not sure whether the information is valid.

If I attempt to download Windows 10 Media Creation from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... jHw&tduid=(eccadd6b8c4f1e39cae39e30c44d2d23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-kwzWXWgv7FMgEzNeI7KjHw)() and then install Windows 10, will I be prompted to purchase a new license if I do not have one? Will my Windows 8 license key work or will I be required to purchase a new license?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Unable to upgrade to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10

Post by HansV »

You have to be logged into Windows with an account with administrator privileges. If you're using a restricted account, you won't be able to upgrade.

Leave KB2871389 installed.
Click Start, type regedit and press Enter.
In RegEdit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore.
If there is an entry named DisableOSUpgrade, double-click it and set its value to 0.
If there is no such entry, create a new DWORD value, name it DisableOSUpgrade and set its value to 0.

Now try to upgrade again.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

DisableOSUpgrade was indeed present. I set its value to 0.

Now, when I visit the Store and click on Update Windows, I get this message:
Sorry, this update isn't available for your PC or you might be running an edition of Windows that doesn't support updating from the Store.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does your computer run a retail version of Windows, or is it a volume license?
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I am not sure. Windows 8 came with my computer when I purchased it.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

My copy of Windows is OEM because it came pre-installed with my laptop and this is what appears at the Command Prompt after following the instructions on TenForums:

Windows(R) Operating System, OEM_DM channel

I am not sure if this is an indication that I cannot upgrade, but I do know that Windows used to send me prompts to upgrade, though I disabled them.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Both the OEM and the Retail versions of Windows 8 should be eligible for upgrade to Windows 8.1. Windows 10 is another matter - the offer for a free upgrade to Windows 10 ended almost a year ago. (There appears to be a trick to still get it, but the legality of that is doubtful)

I don't know what to suggest; a factory reset might help but I hesitate to recommend that. Perhaps one of our Windows experts will be able to help you.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Have you tried going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... indows-8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

DaveA: That web page does not cover the specific issues I am facing in trying to upgrade to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

I just tried again to upgrade to Windows 8.1. This time, I did not get the error message "Sorry, this update has been blocked by your system Administrator." Rather, the download did begin. I get to a page that shows the file I will download and that displays "Download size: 3.62." After a couple of minutes, "Your Windows 8.1 install couldn't be completed Something happened and the install of Windows 8.1 can't be completed" displayed.

I just tried a third time and I get to a page that displays:
Installs
Windows 8.1
Downloading

However, after about 20 or 30 minutes, nothing appears to happen, and no progress shows up on the bar.

I tried again but again got the error "Your Windows 8.1 install couldn't be completed Something happened and the install of Windows 8.1 can't be completed."
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Are you tying to Save or Run the download file?

Do a Save and then try and do an install of the downloaded files.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

When I click Download, I don't get a choice to Save or Run; I come to a screen that states "Installs Windows 8.1 Downloading" interminably.
Regards,

JMT

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Here is an old link for windows 7 to windows 10 upgrade path. Certain conditions such as Window 7 should have Service Pack 1, Windows update should be enabled and running and if it would be 32 bit or 64 bit version etc. Of course your computer hardware should be windows 10 capable, mostly graphics cards are the deal breaker. The point is if you satisfy these conditions then the upgrade should be feasible.

The free upgrade offer expired a long time ago but if you qualify here and if it is still available then this is another option to go for update to Windows 10.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Perhaps this article authored by Ed Bott might help.
Regards,
Bob

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I was able to finally get the update started with some progress made. I let the installation run for several hours over night. The next day, I came to my computer and it had restarted. The following error displayed:

Couldn't update to Window 8.1
Sorry, we couldn't complete the update to Windows 8.1. We've restored your previous version of Windows to this PC.
0xC1900101 - 0x30017

Given how much time I spent on this to no avail, I think I will give up on upgrading to 8.1 and will look into upgrading to Windows 10 at some point in the future.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I am trying to upgrade to Windows 10. I downloaded the file Windows10Upgrade24074.exe and waited for several hours while something downloaded. The download showed 80%, then 90%, 91%, etc. I just got back to my computer and the download window has disappeared. Where is my download?

I just tried to click on Windows10Upgrade24074.exe again, but it states "Windows 10 Update Assistant is already running."

Where is it running? Where is my download file?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Is the .exe file in your Downloads folder? If not, do a search on your C: drive.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Windows10Upgrade24074.exe is in my downloads folder, but when I click on it, I get the message "Windows 10 Update Assistant is already running."

Windows10Upgrade24074.exe is only 6 MB. Where is the very large file that took several hours to download? I don't even know what to search for.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The only suggestion I can find is to reboot the computer... :sorry:
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Apparently the Windows Update was still working in the background. A few hours later, I came back and the screen showed that Windows 10 was being installed. It is now installed.
Regards,

JMT