NEW PRIVACY LEAKAGE IN OFFICE 2016 FOR WINDOWS

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: NEW PRIVACY LEAKAGE IN OFFICE 2016 FOR WINDOWS

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Ah - for Office 365 ProPlus, Deferred Channel is the default, instead of Current Channel.
WOW have no idea what "Update Channel" means. I do know in my version of Word 2016 I had to turn the option off because it was checked. Is this Update Channel thing something I need to worry about looking into?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

All users are on an Update Channel. This is nothing to worry about.

Microsoft releases updates for Office 365 every month. These updates bring new or improved features, fix old bugs and introduce new bugs.
You can specify when you want to receive these updates, in File > Account.
If you're on the "Current Channel", as in JoeP's screenshot, you receive updates each month when they are released.
If you're on the "Deferred Channel", you receive updates only three times a year, and new features are 4 months behind those of the Current Channel. This gives Microsoft a chance to fix glaring errors in those features.
See Overview of update channels for Office 365 ProPlus.

(It is also possible to become a beta tester for new features by becoming an "Office Insider")
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:All users are on an Update Channel. This is nothing to worry about.

Microsoft releases updates for Office 365 every month. These updates bring new or improved features, fix old bugs and introduce new bugs.
You can specify when you want to receive these updates, in File > Account.
If you're on the "Current Channel", as in JoeP's screenshot, you receive updates each month when they are released.
If you're on the "Deferred Channel", you receive updates only three times a year, and new features are 4 months behind those of the Current Channel. This gives Microsoft a chance to fix glaring errors in those features.
See Overview of update channels for Office 365 ProPlus.

(It is also possible to become a beta tester for new features by becoming an "Office Insider")
Thank you for the explanation and the link.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

At least in the business versions of Office 365 you can set the default update channel in the admin portal at Settings | Services & Add-ins | Office software download settings.

Additionally, you can use the Office Deployment Tool to manage/change an Office 365 Pro Plus installation.
Joe