boards/forums for newbies; Motorola Moto-X (Android) phones?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

boards/forums for newbies; Motorola Moto-X (Android) phones?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I’d appreciate hearing from Loungers about boards/forums for newbies to Smart Phones, but in particular Motorola Moto-X (Android) phones.
I have a gazillion questions, and rather than flood Eileen’s Lounge with trivia feel I ought to search a few good boards first, because I am sure that my questions have already been posed elsewhere, and those replies often contain bonus nuggets of wisdom, too.
Thanks
(signed) “Twenty-First Century Guy” of Toronto
P.S. I have d/l what appear to me to be relavant threads from this forum.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: boards/forums for newbies; Motorola Moto-X (Android) pho

Post by HansV »

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x-pure-edition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://androidforums.com/forums/motorola-moto-x.2295/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.androidpit.com/forum/motoro ... rum/recent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x-pure-edition/
http://androidforums.com/forums/motorola-moto-x.2295/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.androidpit.com/forum/motoro ... rum/recent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Many Thanks, Hans.
I will email these links to myself from my laptop, then find a WiFi spot with my smartphone and get to know the phone by, well, using the phone to read the forums.

It's a start ... :laugh:

:chocciebar: :thankyou: :cheers:

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

ChrisGreaves wrote:It's a start ... :
It's a great start. But remember that your device can also make calls, take photos, accept voice notes, become a compass and a spirit level, be used to email friends, tell time in other parts of the world, time your boiled egg, become a stop watch, tell the time, be used as a GPS, make appointments, provide items prices, tell tomorrows weather, inform of your health status, identify you, become a calculator, become a torch, provide reminders, take videos, store documents, provide stock reports, play music, play games, pay for goods, do banking, and your all time favourite, listen to podcasts, and a few hundred more stuff.

Hans can help you out with forums for those next week. :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

FYI, Chris.

I think you can also put a version of the Microsoft Office products on your phone, too. I have the iOS version but I think they are also available for your OS.

A program I have found useful is OneNote. You might take a look at it to see if it meets any of your needs.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have Word, Excel and PowerPoint on my Android phone, I use my Office365 license for this, I'm not sure if there are free versions.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

There are free versions for iPhone, but I think you lose some features.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The apps for iOS and Android are free, but unless you have an Office 365 account, they are mostly limited to viewing documents / workbooks / presentations.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

I added Office 365 Word and Excel to both my iPad and Motorola G Android phone. Eventually removed it from the phone as my size 15 mitts had difficulty moving the data around. Although there are a lot of nice features on the phone, I have elected to use it for voice communications only. Bluetooth works great in the car.
Regards,
Bob

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

:whisper: Bob, I'm glad to see you changed face again. Bean Blue was a bit overwhelming. :)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:
ChrisGreaves wrote:It's a start ... :
It's a great start. But remember that your device can also make calls, take photos, accept voice notes, become a compass and a spirit level, be used to email friends, tell time in other parts of the world, time your boiled egg, become a stop watch, tell the time, be used as a GPS, make appointments, provide items prices, tell tomorrows weather, inform of your health status, identify you, become a calculator, become a torch, provide reminders, take videos, store documents, provide stock reports, play music, play games, pay for goods, do banking, and your all time favourite, listen to podcasts, and a few hundred more stuff.
Thanks Rudi; this is all good to know. One small question: Can it filter out messages that overwhelm me? :laugh:

I have worked out how to pick up voice-mails, but can not yet actually pick-up (to answer) the phone, so when I hear the phone ring I just wait two minutes then go to see if there are any important voice-mails.
I am trying to dragoon my Columbian Spanish teacher, Osmedo, into doing a dog-and-pony show for me this (Friday) afternoon.
In English.
:scratch:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:A program I have found useful is OneNote. You might take a look at it to see if it meets any of your needs.
Thanks Bob.
I went to "Install" it and it said "One Note will be installed on your device soon".
Soon?

I'll let you know in a little while whether or not it installed :rofl:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:There are free versions for iPhone, but I think you lose some features.
Thanks again Stuart and Bob.

I think we can all agree that it might serve the Lounge well if I were to lose some features of any product (hah hah).
Something that lets me use a simple word-processor to type stuff up is about all I can think of using right now. I take my little Acer netbook with me on holidays.
I live in fear of d/l some ap and then finding that I've been racking up some hefty online cloud-or-similar charge just to type in a memo!
Cheers
Chris

P.S. Bob: OneNote says it is installed, so I loaded it up and it said "Almost ready". More later, whenever that is!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:The apps for iOS and Android are free, but unless you have an Office 365 account, they are mostly limited to viewing documents / workbooks / presentations.
Thanks Hans.
It seems to me then that I may as well just hang in there with the PDF version of my Passwords.doc, rather than d/l an office suite to read the original doc.
(I AM supposed to be on a vacation, right?)

Cheers
Chris

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If it's for your passwords then you'd be much better of with a password manager. That would encrypt all your passwords, AND allow you to log in to web sites very easily.
StuartR

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

ChrisGreaves wrote: I have worked out how to pick up voice-mails, but can not yet actually pick-up (to answer) the phone, so when I hear the phone ring I just wait two minutes then go to see if there are any important voice-mails.
I am trying to dragoon my Columbian Spanish teacher, Osmedo, into doing a dog-and-pony show for me this (Friday) afternoon.
In English.
:scratch:
I assume you've read the user manual? :evilgrin:
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

This dog-and-pony show - is it like show-and-tell?
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:If it's for your passwords then you'd be much better of with a password manager. That would encrypt all your passwords, AND allow you to log in to web sites very easily.
Thanks Stuart, but I've never really liked the idea of passwords managers, cloud-based or not.
I always felt that I'd be putting all my eggs into one basket.
Which, it could be argued, I do by keeping my passwords.doc in a TrueCrypt encrypted file!

I was using the passwords.doc as an example. I have a small set of documents/PDFs which basically describe my offline and online habits.

Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rebel wrote:I assume you've read the user manual? :evilgrin:
Were there one to read, I would have read it by now.
I'm basically writing one as I stumble across each "trick" ("How to pick up on an incoming call" is a trick) from the forums.

In this I am a consumer/user, and want to treat the whole system as a single artifact.
There will be no user manual for me.
Instead there are a variety of documents that talk about "The Motorola Moto-X" and another set that discuss "BELL mobility services".

Me, I want a simple step-by step hard-copy tutorial of all the basic stuff; something that I can work my way through during the long winter nights(1).

To make things worse, BELL Mobility's web pages, when saved to disk for later off-line perusal, produce an annoying pop-up that won't go away, so I have to OpenWith Microsoft Word. (I've tried both Firefox and Chrome, so I believe it is a cruddy web page designer's fault)

(signed) "I really miss those three-ring binders" of Toronto.
(1) At the rate I'm going ...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:This dog-and-pony show - is it like show-and-tell?
¡Si!