How to run Check Disk before reaching Windows

jmt356
SilverLounger

How to run Check Disk before reaching Windows

Post by jmt356 »

I am unable to program Check Disk within Windows on a Windows XP computer because as soon as I log into my account, i receive the Blue Screen of Death. Is it possible to run Check Disk within DOS before I get to Windows?
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: How to run Check Disk before reaching Windows

Post by Rudi »

Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

These instructions are so complicated. Isn't there a simple way to execute this? Should there be a way to get to command prompt in DOS before reaching Windows, where I can type chkdsk C:?

Or perhaps in BIOS, the same way I can change boot order?
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

To run from DOS Mode in Windows XP, try this:

Boot into DOS
Run CHKDSK (please read instructions...and note that it can take a long time...)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

On my computer, F8 does not do anything.

Pressing Del gets me into something called Aptio Setup Utility (copyeight 2007 American Megatrends, Inc.), which has an Advanced tab that lets me choose AHCI Mode and a Boot tab that lets me change the boot order, but I can't find anything that lets me get into 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt’.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Apparently, selectign AHCI Mode took me to a screen that stated that Windows did not start up successfully and giving me a choice between:
- Safe Mode
- Safe Mode with Networking
- Safe Mode with Command Prompt

However, whether I choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Safe Mode or Start Windows Normally, I cycle back to the same screen.
Regards,

JMT

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jmt356 wrote:On my computer, F8 does not do anything...
You mean as soon as you power up you computer and you start tapping F8 all that happens is it boots to Windows XP and then blue screens? In other words it does NOT behave as described in the 'Boot into DOS' link that Rudi gave and give you the Windows Advanced Options Menu, which in turn allows you to choose "Safe Mode with Command Prompt"? If so then I've no idea how you'd get to a command prompt.
jmt356 wrote:...
Pressing Del gets me into something called Aptio Setup Utility (copyeight 2007 American Megatrends, Inc.)...
That sounds like you've accessed the BIOS, which is stuff that happens before anything Windows start so you'll not find anything about command prompts in there.

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

jmt356 wrote:On my computer, F8 does not do anything.

Pressing Del gets me into something called Aptio Setup Utility (copyeight 2007 American Megatrends, Inc.), which has an Advanced tab that lets me choose AHCI Mode and a Boot tab that lets me change the boot order, but I can't find anything that lets me get into 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt’.
Safe Mode with Command Prompt should get you where you want to get.
Selecting that does NOT give you a black screen with just a C prompt?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

jmt356 wrote:I am unable to program Check Disk within Windows on a Windows XP computer because as soon as I log into my account, i receive the Blue Screen of Death. Is it possible to run Check Disk within DOS before I get to Windows?
Might this help?
Regards,
Bob

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

stuck wrote:You mean as soon as you power up you computer and you start tapping F8 all that happens is it boots to Windows XP and then blue screens? In other words it does NOT behave as described in the 'Boot into DOS' link that Rudi gave and give you the Windows Advanced Options Menu, which in turn allows you to choose "Safe Mode with Command Prompt"? If so then I've no idea how you'd get to a command prompt.
Yes, that is correct.

I gave up on this as it looked like more work than it was worth. I had the hard drive destroyed.
Regards,

JMT